Search for content in message boards

Mary Ann Hunter

Mary Ann Hunter

Mary M. Jones (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hunter
Mary Ann Hunter b. in Screven Co., Ga. in Aug. l8, l8l5.
Father was Hardy H. Hunter, of Screven County and Fort Valley. She married James West, born in Lenoir Co., NC on Jan. l8, l8ll, on June 8, l837. Any information would be appreciated. Mary M. Jones
Posted: 25 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2002 7:03AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
Mary,
Could this Hardy H. Hunter be the same one listed on the Lincoln Co., GA, tax list for 1803? Other Hunters on the list were Starkey, Elizabeth, Job, David, William and Charles. By 1820, only Eliza, Mary and Starky Hunter are listed there. I have wondered if Hardy Hunter could be the father or uncle of my Lucy Hunter of Lincoln Co. who married Edward H. Toms there in the 1830s. Any info on them?
If we can share, please let me know.
Mary.

Hunter

Margaret (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Lane, Williams
Theophilus Williams m. Rebecca Hunter in Screven Co, Ga. Jan 21, 1822. Theophilus and Rebecca died at an early age and their children went to live with her Hunter relatives in Lowndes Co.,Ga. On the 1850 census Theophilus Jr ,16 was living with Abram Hunter,Jr and Josie. Also listed is Hardy Hunter and Martha and family. and Abrah Hunter ,Sr who is 80 and his wife Ann 73.Also found Berrien Williams age 22 and Andrew Jackson age.18 living with William G. Lane,beleive this to be Lenora Hunters husband. Also have record of Oak Grove Methodist CHURCH Cemetery in Screven Co. with Hunter Family. Not sure if some of them moved back to Screven. Theo,Jr and Andrew Jackson was in the CSA from Screven and are buried at Oak Grove.Hope this helps.

Williams family

Posted: 22 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: Williams
I am looking for information about Theopolis Williams. The names of his children. Especially Berrien Williams who was born about 1822.

Hunter, Williams, Lane

Posted: 18 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Williams, Lane
Screven County is where Mary Ann Hunter was born June 8, l837, daughter of Hardy H. Hunter. She married James Weston June 8, l837, in Lowndes Co. Ga.,, He was b. Jan. l8 l8ll, in Lenoir, N. C. but moved to Brooks Co, Lowndes Co l830.
Both of them died in Madison County Fla and are buried there. Mary Ann Hunter West died on Oct. 29, l895, and James West died Sept 2, l880.

I will try to go to the Methodist Church Cemetary, and get the rubbings from the gravesites when I can.

Thank your for the information. Are you related? Mary

Hunter

Posted: 18 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Williams, Lane, West
Thank you for your information. Hardy H. Hunter, is the father of Mary Ann Hunter, born in Screven Co. June 8, l837.
She was married in Lowndes Co. on June 8, l837 to James West, b. Jan l8, l800 in Lenoir, N.C. They had l2 children.

Re: Williams family

Posted: 6 Apr 2009 1:18PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Hunter & Gorman
This is also my family. Theophilus K. Williams m. Rebecca Hunter Jan. 21, 1822 in Screven Cty, GA.

I have Berrien Williams born in 1828, m. Elizabeth Gorman, born @ 1845, in 1860. Elizabeth died in 1884 & Berrien died in 1885. I do not know of other children of Theophilus & Rebecca.
Children were:
Oscar L 1861-1864
Berrien 1863-1943
Herbert Hunter 1865-?
John Lee 1869-1874
Leon Gorman 1872-1908
Florida Virginia 1887-1943
Louise Estella 1878 (died in infancy)
Fanny Mae 1881-1946
Jessie Stuart 1884-1959

Leon Gorman Williams was my grandfather.

How are they related to you?

Re: Mary Ann Hunter

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 4:01AM GMT
I have a typed copy of a family letter to a Mrs. J.H. Moran (Jesse) from a Hunter W. Raiford. In this letter it states, "now as to our family, there was four boys and three sisters of your grandfather's family. My mother was the youngest sister, she was at Cochran, GA, south of Macon, GA. Aunt Ann Ivey, was buried near Luravill, Fla. Aunt Mary West was buried near Madison, Fla. Your grandfather, Uncle Jesse Hunter was carried back to Ft. Vally, GA and buried where his mother, father and three of your father's brothers were buried at. Your great grand father's name was Hardy Hunter and his son's were, William, John, Hardy and Jesse."... Would like to find more info on this family if anyone has anything to share.

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 3:34PM GMT
Does this mean that Jesse Hunter live in Fl and was he a lawyer?.

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 5:10PM GMT
Hi! I am researching this family and have information to share. Hardy Hunter's will was probated in Houston County, Georgia, and it names his children, the ones named in the letter. I'm trying to find out more about Aunt Ann Ivey. Hunter W. Raiford was the son of Leonora Hunter (daughter of Hardy Hunter) and Hinchey Warren Raiford. I believe Hunter Raiford was the uncle of Mrs. J. H. Moran, but you may know more about that relationship. Please get in touch with me. I'd love to compare notes.

Will of Hardy Hunter
Houston County Wills, 1855-1926, pp. 172-173
Wife Dolly, gets LL 114, D9, Houston County, and Negroes – “with whom I have lived in the strictest quiet for fifty od years”
Son John A. Hunter of Macon County, Georgia
Son Jesse W. Hunter of Marion County, Florida
Daughter Mary Ann West
Son Hardy H. Hunter of Schley County, Georgia
Daughter Nancy Ivey – one lot of land in Lowndes County, Ga.
Son William E. Hunter, deceased, who had two children
Daughter Leonora Raiford
Dated 16 April 1859
No proved date

Letters Testamentary, Book B, 1856-1902, p. 71
Will of Hardy Hunter proved 5 March 1866, Jesse W. Hunter and Hardy H. Hunter
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions