Search for content in message boards

Carl Newsome

Carl Newsome

C. L. Newsome (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Newsome
I read the article written by Carl Newsome on Purley in Franklin county. I then visited the Liberty cemetary.
I am curious how or if I am related to the people there.

My father was raised in Emory. He was Chilton Newsome

Re: Carl Newsome

Posted: 8 Jun 2002 5:26PM GMT
Surnames: MASSEY/MOORE/MCDONALD/STAMPS
Hi Carl,

Where can I find a copy of the Purley article that you mention?

I would also like to go to Liberty Cemetery. Can you tell me where to find it? What kind of shape is it in?

My ggg-grandmother, Ruth A. Smith Massey, states in her widow's pension application (Civil War) that she lives at Purley. I know that she is not buried at the Liberty Cemetery, but some other relatives might be.

Thanks so much.

Mynda McGuire (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2003 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Wall, Majors, Merrill, Dozier, Holley
Charlotte,
Liberty Cemetery is south of Mt. Vernon. Take Hwy 37 south about 3 to 4 miles. Turn left on FM 900 and go about 1/2 mile toward top of small hill. . It is fenced and on your left. Liberty Cemetery is very well kept behind a nice fence. There is no grass, only sand.

Are you related to the Holleys of Alabama and east Texas? Reason I ask is that a Charlotte Massey who married a Holley is one of my ancestors.

Posted: 31 Jul 2003 8:46PM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2005 5:28PM GMT
Mynda,

Thanks so much for the information. I don't find any Holley names in my own files, but I do find the following in a GEDCOM that I downloaded pertaining to some of my Massey relatives. It says:

Elizabeth Jane Holley 28 Feb 1838-25 Dec 1923
m. 3 Feb 1855 Alabama
Jessie Wilcox

I don't see a Massey connection to this couple in the file.

Now it is possible that your Charlotte Massey was one of my kin. I just don't have it.

I know that my GGG-Grandparents were:

Nathaniel Dudley Massey b. GA m. Ruth A. Smith
26 Dec 1843 in Talbot, GA.

This couple moved on to Barbour Co, AL by abt 1852 and were in Barbour Co in 1860. Nathaniel died during the Civil War.

His widow was in Franklin Co, TX in 1880. She states in her widow's pension application (9 Aug 1899) that she had lived in Franklin Co, TX for 24 yrs. Her PO address was at Purley.

####
1880 United States Federal Census
Franklin Co, Texas
ED34 Page 454 Lines 36-39
26 June 1880

Family 410:

Massey Ruth W F Age 54 Widow Keeping House GA GA GA

J. L. Son W M Age 25 Single Farmer AL GA GA

Ida Daughter W F Age 20 Single At Home AL GA GA

Mary Daughter W F Age 14 Single At Home AL GA GA
####

I don't know where Ruth was in 1870. Two of her sons were in Davis (Cass) Co, TX in 1870.

Nathaniel and Ruth had 9 children.

I know that my maternal grandfather descended from these Masseys. He was a McDonald and was b. in Franklin Co, TX
at Mt. Vernon in 1893.

Nathaniel and Ruthie Massey's children married: Draper, Singleton, Little, Stamps, Moore, Lominack, Hardman, Brady, Johnson, Sexton.

If any of this sounds familiar to you, I will be glad to share what I have.

Charlotte
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions