Search for content in message boards

McCarty/York/Hunsucker

McCarty/York/Hunsucker

Janice McCarty Hunsucker (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCarty, York, Hunsucker
I'm interested in any information of either of the names McCarty, York, Hunsucker. I have reason to believe that a Jeriah York is associated with Wheeler County. Any information on the names I have listed would be of great interest to me. Thanks for your time........Janice

Hunsucker

Posted: 12 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Aug 2003 2:13AM GMT
I do not know if this will be of any help,but I live at Mobeetie, Tx which is in Wheeler Co. We have 3 people buried in the Hunsucker Lot. They are Georgia Juanita Thompson B Apr.20,1935 D May 30, 1981. George T Hunsucker B Oct.9,1910 D Apr.29,1970. Essie Hunsucker Lea B Mar.1,1886 D Mar.20, 1964.I do not know any McCarty or York.

Re: McCarty/York/Hunsucker

Posted: 18 Nov 2010 5:41PM GMT
Surnames: York
Janice - if you are still around, I have info for you on Jeriah York.

Karen

Posted: 12 May 2011 10:05PM GMT
Karen,

I would love more information on Jeriah. She is my 3rd great grandmother and the lineage seems to stop there. My grandfather often talked of our indian heritage through her and I would love to know more about it. I have tried all the combination of names for her I could find and Turk, Lee, Marcum all seem to be associated to her as well. My lineage runs through her daughter Abigail. Thank you in advance.

Posted: 13 May 2011 5:32PM GMT
Surnames: McCarty/York
Janice - I will have to pull out the "genealogy tub" I have tonight to ensure I give you all the correct info I have. The picture of the twins (with Abigail York) came from a book a relative put together several years ago. Not all the info is exact, but I will give you what I have. I really believe the name "Turk" came from someone mis-transcribing the name "York". I have several pics of Jeriah - not sure if you have seen any of them. She met George Henry York at Fort Griffin where she supposedly was a seamstress for the men who lived at the fort. There is a website (New Mexico Genealogy Trails) with a story written by Wanda Browning Falk – Jeriah York’s first husband’s (Francis Marion McCarty) sister whose husband (Joe Browning) shot and killed FM McCarty over an argument about a calf. The link is http://genealogytrails.com/newmex/lincoln/lincolnnm_mrsjab_9... I just noticed that Jeriah is spelled with a "G" in that story! I am attaching a really cute picture of Jeriah when she was older wearing a long dress - she looks so tiny!...plus a newspaper article of her death. Not sure if you have seen this or not..and hope it posts ok! I have always been told we have some American Indian in our bloodline but no one could ever tell me who it was. I really do think it was Jeriah. I am also looking for more info on her. Also, the info I have says that George Henry was born on the ship as it sailed across the Atlantic when his parents came to America from England. They lived in Portland, ME, and I cannot locate any record of his birth occurring on a ship! Sounds like a romantic tale to me and probably isn't true! My mother used to tell me that someone (and I'm thinking it was him) stowed away on a ship from England when he was about 16 years old.(?) I haven't had time lately to do much research - have you ever heard any of these stories? I will send you what I have this weekend. Let me know if you got the pic and were able to view it. I tried attaching a pdf file and it wouldn't let me. I will get back to you soon! Karen ps - she is my 2nd Great-grandmother, so we are distant cousins!
Attachments:

Posted: 13 May 2011 9:10PM GMT
I also found that story by Francis' sister where they referred to him as Marion within his family. It was very interesting as it referred to Jeriah (as spelled on death certificate) as Geriah Lee. I did some more digging and found the marriage records listing her as Geriah Marcum as well here: http://www.looktothepast.com/webstermarriages05.html

I hope we can find more. It definitely seems to be a very interesting story for sure.

Posted: 14 May 2011 2:59PM GMT
BTW...
Here is another one of MRSJAB's stories that seems to have a little more detail.

http://members.tripod.com/art_marywilson/theolinleeconnectio...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions