Search for content in message boards

beware OneGreatFamily

beware OneGreatFamily

Posted: 2 Jul 2009 1:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have had the same problems as the previous writers. I have contacted them several times with questions and got nothing but irrelevant "canned answers". My own tree still does not appear but they have me related to every famous person back to Adam.When I asked the relationship calculator to show the relationship between me and my own father they cant even find him.I have been on the sight since Feb. I am thoroughly dismayed .They signed me up for 3 more months without my permission.

Re: beware OneGreatFamily

Posted: 1 Aug 2009 8:54AM GMT
I found exactly the same. I was so disgusted with the site that I attempted to cancel my Free Trial after two days.
I have already been charged for two months and, looking at my account, it seems I am about to be billed for a third month in August.

If any member is thinking of using this site my advice would be DON'T. It almost impossible to cancel you subscription should you change your mind.

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 6:49AM GMT
Folks contact your bank and tell them that you have been cheated on services and do not want this company paid. The bank will usually assist and sometimes get your money back and tell you how to stop them if they can't. Glad you posted the problem here. I have not heard of One Great Family and will steer clear if I see it now.

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 6:08PM GMT
Unfortunately I didn't read this in time and have been billed after I cancelled within 2 hours.

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 4:28PM GMT
I never joined, I poked around a bit and found little to interest me. It seems to me that it will end up like One World Tree, full of errors, misconnections, and fantasy. So I am curious, those who did manage to get a tree, or part of a tree loaded, are they able to get it removed from OneGreatFamily or will it reside there forever for others to snag?

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 1:39PM GMT
A word of advice - do your own research, follow the paper trail, and climb your own tree not someone else's. These sites are money making schemes and nobody can "find your family tree" for you. The instructions for cancelling are below (from their site). Follow them exactly and if they continue to bill you, contact your local consumer affairs advisory.

We hope you want to keep your subscription, but if you don’t you must cancel by clicking on the Contact link in the footer of the homepage and choosing Cancellation Requests as the Subject. You cannot just send an email to us to cancel. You must use the Contact Customer Service form.

If you do become a subscriber, at the end of your plan period if you have not cancelled your subscription your credit card will again be charged the then current rate for the plan you have chosen. This ensures you have continuous access to your OneGreatFamily account.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 4:54AM GMT
Update on OGF:
1. Lodged a transaction dispute form with my credit card bank
2. Started lodging complaints with as many bodies as possible:
a. Internet Crime Complaint Center IC3
b. SCAMwatch at Australian Competition & Consumer Commission
c. Facebook, Twitter and genealogical sites that seem to be related
d. Utah Better Business Bureau (BBB) – they responded promptly (noting that 61% of complaints against OGF were related to finances/accounts) and passed my complaint to OGF who came back within 24 hours advising OGF had closed my account and would even consider pro-rata refund!! A check of my OGF account revealed that “Account is currently on HOLD due to Invalid Billing Status” so will see over following years if they validate my status and start direct debiting my card again. They acknowledged that I had attempted to close the account within the 7 day free trial period but had not responded to their request “to click on the URL at which point the customer enters their username and password and their account is cancelled”. They did not comment on my claim that clicking the URL produced (and still does) a request to phone 1-800-489-0932, a number I have never been able to get through on.

Interesting to note that they have now a new web site – OneGreatFamilyScam.com – which contains
• New address and telephone numbers
• No option to use a email/electronic cancellation process after the 7 day free period – must telephone
• Many motherhood statements such as “For a reputable company…transparency is critical and we publish information regarding complaints we receive and resolutions we provide…” Emailed request for location of the published information went unanswered – possibly they have a block on my emails?

My local Police Sergeant describes them as a “low level Nigerian scam” because of the advanced-fee/upfront payment with a convoluted withdrawal process.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions