Search for content in message boards

Beginning to Enter Data

Beginning to Enter Data

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 12:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have downloaded RootsMagic's free genealogy program. I've never used any software before, and cannot make up my mind as to where I should begin my "tree" or pedigree. With me? Or, should I keep my paternal line and maternal line in two different trees/pedigrees? Any suggestions, pros, cons? I don't want to enter a ton of information and then decide I should do it differently. Thanks.

Re: Beginning to Enter Data

Posted: 4 Mar 2012 10:44PM GMT
I chose to begin with my children (or yourself - if you have no children) I'm no expert by any means, and like you, wasn't too sure what the best approach should be. I'm happy I chose one tree. It is rather big but I find it easier to have all my info in one place.

Deb

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 2:55PM GMT
It really doesn't matter (technically), but it probably will be easier to start with yourself and enter your parents and your siblings and then enter your paternal grandparents and your maternal grandparents and their families and work backward by generations. There is no reason to separate your paternal and maternal lines by creating separate trees -- the software will enable you to do this when you want to share information on one particular line but not the other or to look at (or print out) your trees and family groups in various ways. These options are in the "reports."
If you have children, then you might want to start with them and enter your line and your husband's. Again, the software will do the "sorting" and "reports" for you. That's the great thing about genealogy software.
Good luck.
Myra

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 7:09PM GMT
Thank you. Your reply is a great help. Your thoughts are my thoughts, but I wanted someone else to reinforce them.

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 7:17PM GMT
Thank you. Your reply (and another post) has helped me to decide I will begin with myself. Thank goodness for these message boards.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic