Search for content in message boards

Brew of Kilrush County Clare

Brew of Kilrush County Clare

Kevin Griffith (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brew
My greatgrandmother was Margaret Teresa Brew of Kilrush, County Clare. She was born in the early 1890's to George Brew and Mary McNamara. The family was Catholic (Most likely through the marriage into the McNamara family), and they were landowners as well as shopkeepers. In the late 1890's or early 1900's, the family including Margaret's siblings: George, Jane, Kathleen, Bedelia, Minnie and Cecelia settled in Buffalo NY. In Buffalo, Margaret married John Francis O'Gorman, also of Kilrush, son of Patrick O'Gorman and Margaret McMahon.

Griffiths Valuation 1855

Posted: 20 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2001 9:14AM GMT
Plenty of Brews in Kilrush in 1855 check griffiths valuation see below for details. All names complete from A-E inclusive.

Brew Family

Posted: 21 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2001 4:15AM GMT
There is a great microfim in the LDS inventory which consists mostly of old wills from the Brew family. I recall these documents contained quite a bit of genealogic information. There is also considerable mention of the Brew family in the land valuation records contained on microfilm
from the Kilrush region. In particular, I've seen Brew family members owning property in Kilmurry McMahon Parish in the mid19th century. Stop at the nearest Family History Center and look at the microfiche in the Locality Index for County Clare.
Posted: 6 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2001 9:14AM GMT
Gene,
I came across a James (22) and John Brew (22) lailed on the Tudor date of arrival 17/8/1860. Both from Kilmurry.
Regards,
Larry.

Re: Brew of Kilrush County Clare

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2001 3:34AM GMT
My grandfather's name wasGeorge Brew and he was from Kilrush, County Clare. His father was Michael Brew and mother was Briget. Michael converted from Protestant to Catholic when he married Briget. I am thinking that maybe Michael and George were brothers. My grandfather came to N.Y. in about 1920 where he met my grandmother Mary Jane. They moved back to the farm in Kilrush for a few years but my grandfather left and his sister Theresa kept the farm. My grandparents had 11 children! So many similarities in the names, their must be a connection! Hope to hear from you soon

George R Brew (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2001 2:40AM GMT
My grandfather was born in Kilrush County Clare on August the 12th 1887. I belive that he arrived in the US at the age of 8. He mentioned to me a man named Michael Brew from Kilrush I think something about a castle also not sure though. He owned stores and built and operated many motels in Niagara Falls NY. He also owned and operated a taxi cab company. I remember some of his sisters Minnie, Jane, Cecila, Kathleen. I also know that we had relatives in Buffalo. The McNamaras and the Gormans. I was very young at the time so I do not remember everything or everyone. I live in Moosup Connecticut. My brother William Brew lives in Niagara Falls Ontario. Niagara Falls is a very short distance from Buffalo. There must be a connection here. I hope to hear from you soon. George R. Brew

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: Brew-Comerford-Gorman
Hi -
I saw your message while doing some research on my grandmother's family. Her name was Mary Brew, her brother was George Brew and he started the Brew Cab Co, in Niagara Falls, NY. George and Mary also had siblings named Jane, Kathleen, Maggie and Ann. My grandmother Mary Brew married John Stack and moved to Niagara Falls. The rest of the siblings settled in South Buffalo. Jane married a Comerford and Kathleen married a Gorman. Ann married John McCarthy. Not sure about Maggie.
I realize your post is from 2001 - hoping you are still following the website.
Thanks - Nancy Crown

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 5:04PM GMT
Mary Brew, we all called her Minnie she was married to John Stack When I was a child My Grandfather would go to aunt Minnies house almost every Sunday to visit. We also stopped at his other sisters Ann she was married to John McCarthy. AKA as Din. My grandfather did have a cab company. You have all of the info correct. If I can help you out let me know. my email address is gbrew@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions