Search for content in message boards

Robert Dulaney DAVENPORT (b ca 1809 - VA; d 1848 - Alexandria, Rapides, LA), Baptist Missionary

Robert Dulaney DAVENPORT (b ca 1809 - VA; d 1848 - Alexandria, Rapides, LA), Baptist Missionary

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 7:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davenport, Roper
Rev. Robert DAVENPORT (d 1848 - Alexandria, Rapides, LA)married Mary Frances ROPER (b 8 Mar 1818 - Richmond, VA; d 18 Jul 1896 - Baltimore, MD) on 8 Sep 1835 at Second Baptist Church, Richmond, VA. Mary Frances ROPER, was the daughter of Rev. David Roper (b 27 Sep 1792 - Charles City County, VA; d 28 Feb 1827 - Richmond, VA), a founder of Second Baptist Church, and Mary Frances MILLER (b ca 1800; d 6 Sep 1844- Richmond, VA), his wife.

It is my understanding that Robert DAVENPORT had attended Virginia Baptist Seminary (now University of Richmond).

Rev. Robert and Mary Frances Roper DAVENPORT were subsequently Baptist missionaries in Siam (now Thailand), arriving in Bangkok on 21 Feb 1836. Rev. DAVENPORT imported the first printing machine into Bangkok, where he translated and printed the Bible, while his wife taught the antive girls in school.

The DAVENPORTs returned to the United States in 1845, settling in Alexandria, Louisiana, where Robert DAVENPORT died three years later at the age of 39.

Mary Frances Roper "Fanny" DAVENPORT subsequently relocated first to Charlottesville, VA, and later to Baltimore, Maryland. She remarried a Col. FEUDGE.

Rev. Robert and Mary Frances Roper DAVENPORT supposedly had at least two SONS. I believe that one of these was later a physician in Baltimore.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE IDENTITY OF REV. ROBERT DAVENPORT'S PARENTS, HIS EXACT DATE OF BIRTH, HIS DATE OF DEATH OR THE NAMES OF HIS TWO SONS?

I can furnish much information as to SOURCES for the above information, as well as Mary Frances Roper's lineage.

Articles and Books Authored by Fanny Roper (Davenport) Feudge

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 8:16PM GMT
Surnames: Davenport, Roper, Feudge
I thought that it might be of interest to any DAVENPORT descendents of Mary Frances Roper that she wrote several books and numerous articles. A few of these were:

"India", by Fanny Roper Feudge, (Boston, MA: D. Lothrop and company, 1880), 640 pp.

"The Date and Some Other Palms", St. Nicholas Magazine, Dec 1873
"Small Vessels and Great Builders", St. Nicholas Magazine, Jul 1874
"Parsee Children", St. Nicholas Magazine, Jun 1875
"Umbrellas", St. Nicholas Magazine, Aug 1875
"Some Queer Dishes", St. Nicholas Magazine, Sep 1875
"Christmas in the Far East", St. Nicholas Magazine, Jan 1876
"How I Kept the Chinese New Year", St. Nicholas Magazine, Feb 1876
"Some Oriental Sports That I Saw", St. Nicholas Magazine, Dec 1876
"A Monument with a Story", St. Nicholas Magazine, Mar 1878
"Some Malayan Dances", St. Nicholas Magazine, Jan 1879
"Oriental Bottles and Wells, and How They Are Made", St. Nicholas Magazine, Mar 1879
"Oriental Jugglery", St. Nicholas Magazine, May 1880
"Two Famous Old Stones", St. Nicholas Magazine, Jun 1880

I understand that she also wrote a number of articles for the Literary Messenger, but I do NOT have the titles of the articles or the issues.

I understand that Fanny Roper FEUDGE also wrote under the nom de plume "Traveler" or "F.G.R.D." (Frances Greenhow Roper Davenport).

More information about Rev. Robert DAVENPORT and Mary Frances Roper DAVENPORT appears in "The History of the Second Baptist Church, Richmond, Virginia, 1820 - 1970".

Re: Articles and Books Authored by Fanny Roper (Davenport) Feudge

Wilas Nirunsuksiri (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2004 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Feudge
Hi,
I am researching on the original Siamese twins and it seems that she also wrote an article on visiting their home land in Siam. Could this be verified? Also, is it correct that she was also related to the family of the twins'wives?
Thank you for any information you may have.
Wilas

Re: Fanny Roper (Davenport) Feudge and Siam

William Alexander Roper, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2004 12:54AM GMT
Surnames: Roper, Davenport, Feudge, Fudge
Regretably, I am completely unaware of the matters you mention. It is my understanding that Fanny and her husband Rev. DAVENPORT imported the first printing press into Siam and published Bibles there. The idea that she also toured Siam and met noted personalities of that time seems very plausible, particularly given her penchant for writing.

Unfortunately, I haven't fully researched Fanny and her life and family. But I understand that some work has been done under the auspices of the Baptist Historical Society. I would encourage you to seek additional information from that organization and let us know what you learn!

Re: Fanny Roper (Davenport) Feudge and Siam

Wilas Nirunsuksiri (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2004 4:30PM GMT
Thank you for the info. I just sent a message to the Baptist historical society, and will let you know what I find.
Also, I was wondering if you know of any descendents who might have inherited her belongings such as letters and photographs. I read her article "An Oriental Monachy" and understand that she received letters from Siamese royalties and would like to learn more about them.
Thank you for any suggestions, thanks.
Wilas

Re: Articles and Books Authored by Fanny Roper (Davenport) Feudge

Posted: 2 Jun 2004 6:15PM GMT
Hi,
I have a few more to add:
1) An article "An Oriental Monarchy" The Galaxy, vol 18, Issue 6, New York, 1874, pp. 795-804.
2) "A Royal Hair Cutting" Scribners monthly, an illustrated magazine for the people. / Volume 8, Issue 6, October 1874, pp. 714-717
3. "Mammoth Religion of the World" The Galaxy. / Volume 16, Issue 3, September 1873, pp. 342-355
4) "Rachman and Ferraya" The Galaxy. / Volume 17, Issue 5, May 1874, pp. 640-650
5) "How I Kept House by Proxy"Scribners monthly, an illustrated magazine for the people. / Volume 22, Issue 5, September 1881, pp. 681-688

She also had another book published "Eastern Side; or, missionary Life in Siam", Philadelphia, 1871

All above were done using the name "Fannie" not "Fanny".
Wilas

Children of Robert Dulaney DAVENPORT (b ca 1809 - VA; d 1848 - Alexandria, Rapides, LA) and Frances ROPER

Posted: 1 Feb 2006 6:10AM GMT
Surnames: Roper, Davenport
I was able to identify the children of Robert Dulaney DAVENPORT (b ca 1809 - VA; d 1848 - Alexandria, Rapides, LA) and Frances ROPER by the 1850 Census record of Frances Roepr DAVENPORT in Richmond, Virginia:

United States Census -- 1850
Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia
02 Dec 1850

Line 5, Dwelling, 428, Family 578, Francis DAVENPORT, age 30, Female, Pers. Estate $4,000, Born Virginia
Line 6, Dwelling, 428, Family 578, Maria DAVENPORT, age 14, Female, Born East India [Probably Siam]
Line 7, Dwelling, 428, Family 578, Henry DAVENPORT, age 10, Male, Born East India [Probably Siam]
Line 8, Dwelling, 428, Family 578, William DAVENPORT, age 1, Male, Born Virginia

Son B. H. R. DAVENPORT is enumerated in Baltimore, MD, in 1870 and in Luzerne County, PA, in 1880.

Books Authored by Fanny Roper (Davenport) Feudge -- ADDENDA

Posted: 1 Feb 2006 6:18AM GMT
Surnames: Roper, Davenport, Feudge
In addition to the book "India", by Fanny Roper Feudge, (Boston, MA: D. Lothrop and company, 1880), 640 pp., and articles cited, Fanny seems to have also previously written these books:

"Eastern Side, or Missionary Life in Siam", by Fanny Roper Feudge, (Bible & Publications Society, 1871), 364 pp.
"Many Lands and Many People", by Fanny Roper Feudge, (Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott & Co., 1875), 256 pp.
"A Queer People", by Fanny Roper Feudge, (Boston, MA: D. Lothrop and company, 1878), 59 pp.

1860 Census Record of S.S. and F.R. FUDGE (FEUDGE)

Posted: 5 Feb 2007 3:49AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Roper, Davenport, Fudge, Feudge
Amongst the personal property of my great-great-great aunt Mary Withers ROPER is a transcription of pages from the Family Bible of David and Mary Miller ROPER. This family Bible apparently showed that:

"Mrs. Frances G. Roper Davenport was married to Col. S. S. Fudge of Albany, Georgia, on the 6th of February 1860"

There are severala other DAVENPORT family entries which I will separately Post to the DAVENPORT Message Board.

The additional genealogical information furnnished by this entry enabled me to locate S. S. FUDGE's 1860 Census record.

S. S. and F. R. (Fannie Roper) FUDGE are shown:

United States Census -- 1860
Albany, Dougherty Co., GA (Page No. 25, Page imprinted "563")
26 June 1860

Line 28, Dwelling 230, Family 230, ????? WALTEERS, Age 39, Male, Planter, Real Estate -, Pers Estate 3300, born Augusta GA
Line 29, S. S. FUDGE, Age 38, Male, Cotton Buyer, Real Estate $200, Born Jasper Co,
Line 30, F. R. FUDGE, Age 27, Female, Author, Real Estate $2,000, Born Richmond, VA, Married within the year.

[Image 25 of 29 in the Ancestry.com presentation of the 1860 Census enumeration for Albany, Dougherty Co., GA]

NOTE: This record is INDEXED as "S. S. FADGE".

Re: Further Information About the Children of Robert D. DAVENPORT and Frances ROPER

Posted: 5 Feb 2007 11:54PM GMT
Surnames: Davenport, Roper
We recently discovered amongst the personal effects of my grandparents personal papers belonging to my great-great-great Aunt Mary Withers ROPER (b October 22, 1857 - Harris, TX, d September 17, 1941 - Harris, TX). Within theese records is a handwritten transcription of lost entries from the Family Bible of Rev. David and Mary ROPER!

Several of these entries should be of interest to members of the Davenport family who are descended from Rev. Robert D. DAVENPORT and Frances Greenhow ROPER. In particular, these entries seem likely to be of interest:

Frances Greenhow Roper, daughter
of David and Mary Roper was
born March 5th 1819 between
7 and 8 oclock P.M. in the
City of Richmond. She was
named by and after our much
esteemed friend Mrs. Frances
B. Greenhow.

Benjamin Henry son of Robert D. and
Frances G. Roper Davenport was born at
Bangkok in Siam Asia the 27th
of September 1840.

William Roper Davenport was born
At Bangkok, Siam in Asia the
7th Day of September 1843.

William Roper Davenport, son of
Robert D. and Frances Greenhow Roper
Davenport was born at Alexandria
Louisiana 21st July A.D. 1849.

NOTE: Maria DAVENPORT seems to have been left out of the ROPER Family Bible.

Frances G. Roper and Robert D.
Davenport were married in the City of
Richmond State of Virginia, at the
home of her mother Mrs. Mary Roper
by the Rev. James B. Taylor on
Thursday, 8th of September 1935.

Mrs. Frances G. Roper Davenport married to
Col. S. S. Fudge of Albany Georgia on the 6th of February 1860.

Dates of death of Robert D. DAVENPORT or Frances Greenhow Roper Davenport FEUDGE/FUDGE are NOT shown in the Bible.

Though I have NOT yet scanned these handwritten Bible transcription entries, I am happy to share these with DAVENPORT family members who find this information to be of interest.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic