Search for content in message boards

Show relationship between two people in a tree

Show relationship between two people in a tree

Posted: 19 Mar 2010 9:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

It would be great if there was an option to select two people on the tree and be able to see the relationship between them. Often I do not know how some people in my tree relate to me, and being able to only see two generations up and down is limiting - I don't know which branch to chase. If I could select two people and have the website show me the tree spanning the sitance between those it would be amazing.

Cheers!

Re: Show relationship between two people in a tree

Posted: 19 Mar 2010 10:08PM GMT
Ruth,

It is for reasons like that that one should always maintain their main genealogy work in a stand alone genealogy computer program. Such manipulation of data is easily done there.

Ancestry's Member Trees is merely a display application and thus very limited (and purposely designed as such so as not to compete with their main genealogy program Family Tree Maker.

Posted: 8 Jun 2010 11:16PM GMT
I was wondering the same thing today. FWIW, Geni.com does this automatically, I don't see why ancestry.com can't.

Posted: 4 Jul 2010 6:18AM GMT
Yeah, I would like that as well. Despite the "cash cow" reasons given by some, I think the main reason that your suggestion hasn't appeared here yet, is inertia. The reason isn't technical.

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 4:05AM GMT
You may have already figured this out, but there is the link "relationship to me" on each person's overview page. Clicking that will show that person's relationship to "you". But also, when that relationship page pops up, and "you" are at the bottom of that relationship tree, there is a link "Not You?" that you can select, and then type in anyone else in your tree, and the page will recalculate the relationship between that original perosn and the new person you typed in (the new "you).

Posted: 16 Aug 2011 6:13AM GMT
No, I didn't notice that before.

Thanks for the info! Would be nice to have a dynamic zoom on the tree but it is still good enough for the purpose.

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 8:35PM GMT
Thanks for answering the question as to how to show the relationship between two different people in the tree. I had noticed the "relationship to you" link but didn't realize I could change the 2nd person through the "Not you" link.

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 2:17PM GMT
I do not see this feature. I am free user.
Could that be it?

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 4:59PM GMT
Anyone with a tree can use this feature in their own tree. Not seeing the "relationship to me" feature on a person-overview page is almost always because you have not set who "you" are in the tree. Mouse over the "tree pages" link toward top of page, click on "tree settings". At right there will be some boxes with links. One of them is to set who "you" are in the tree. This does not have to be really you, if you are not actually in the tree. It could be someone with a known relationship with you such as a sibling or parent -- someone in the tree. Once you have set "you", when you return to someone's person-overview page you should see the "view relationship to me" link just below the person's name.

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 6:18PM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2013 6:21PM GMT
"... Once you have set "you",..."

This begs for a conceptual rename. Perhaps "Selected Profile", "Primary Profile", "Anchor Profile", "Base Profile" or some other appropriate designation. Whatever the resolution, the currently designated profile could easily be displayed as a reminder on each profile page...

OR...

Make the dang relationship calculator more dynamic...just like myself, the OP here, and many others have suggested...probably several times.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic