Search for content in message boards

Peter ADAM, b. 1793 Aschaffenburg, Ger. - Could he have been Jewish?

Peter ADAM, b. 1793 Aschaffenburg, Ger. - Could he have been Jewish?

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 12:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Aug 2013 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: ADAM, ADAMS
Hello, Jewish Roots list,
I've always heard that we had a grandmother who was Jewish. I'm wondering if it might be Eva Adam, daughter of Peter Adam (or Adams) who was b. 1793 Aschaffenburg, Ger. - Could he have been Jewish? Eva was born about 1820 there also. Family emigrated to Cincinnati in about 1838.
Any comments? Any suggestions about how I might find out?
Thanks! EB

Re: Peter ADAM, b. 1793 Aschaffenburg, Ger. - Could he have been Jewish?

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 7:36PM GMT
"The abstract list Peter Adam age 47 [b 1793] farmer, Catharina Adam 43, Eva 20, Anna Maria 17 and Magdalena 11 arrived on ship Alexander from Bremen 25 Jul 1840. Interestingly listed between Peter and Catharina and their children was an Andreas [transcribed as "Maim”], but it is “Mann” age 65 carpenter. Andreas' family seem to be above Peter's.

The other lists Peter as a miller, and does not list Andreas Mann between Peter's family. The Peter above [likely the one age 65 carpenter] with his own family transcribed as “Hann” from
“Ammersbach” but is probably Omersbach, which is in Landkreis Aschaffenburg about 9 km from
Michelbach. Many of the people on the list were from the same area.

There are a lot of Adam names on the Deutsche Auswanderer datenbank who emigrated 1840, including Peter, Catharina, Eva, Anna Maria and Magdalena, and Andreas Mann also in 1840. You have to pay for the records, and you never know if they tell you anything that you don't know:

www.dad-recherche.de you can search in English.."
This may help others

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 7:37PM GMT
the names anna marie and magdalena make it difficult to believe they were jewish or practicing.

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 7:55PM GMT
Surnames: ADAM, ADAMS
Thanks, Mensa73! I had seen that info before about the abstract list, "Andreas Mann," and all, but thanks for adding it here, where others may find it, too. In fact, I wondered if the name "Mann" would be Jewish in this case.
Magdalena is certainly of Hebrew origin, but I guess might not have been used by Jewish families in the 1700s and 1800s.
I am looking for a way to find out in historical records if someone was Jewish. Peter Adam, for instance, if not his wife Catherina. A long shot, I know. Just wondering...
Thanks again! Ellen

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 6:00PM GMT
a marriage cert for either eva or her parents would help.
an obit or death cert might be useful.in mentioning church or synagogoue.
i guess you do not know eva's married name.\

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 6:05PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 28 Aug 2013 6:36PM GMT
Baltimore, Passenger and Immigration Lists, 1820-1872
about Eva Adam Name: Eva Adam
Arrival Date: 25 Jul 1840
Port of Departure: Bremen
Ship: Alexander
Port of Arrival: Baltimore
Place of Origin: Michelbach
National Archives' Series Number: M255
Microfilm Roll Number: 2
List Number: 49
Destination: Cincinnati

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. Baltimore, Passenger and Immigration Lists, 1820-1872 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
Original data: Baltimore, Maryland. Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Baltimore, 1820-1891. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. Micropublication M255, rolls # 1-19.

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 6:14PM GMT
found eva adam Oehler dod 5/6/1850 dubuque Iowa (is this your entry ?)there are also bergs and millers associated with this family which may be the jewish side.

If catherine was jewish she probably did not bring up her children as such. I still think the name catherine would not be one chosen for a jewish woman at that time period.

check eva's obit.

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 6:34PM GMT
Surnames: ADAM OEHLER
Hey, Mensa! Yes, this is the same Eva Adam, married to Ambrose Oehler. Ambrose was German, came to the US from Germany in 1828. I've never found an obit for Eva, nor a marriage cert (which would have been in/near Cincinnati, circa 1840). Ambrose & Eva did leave land for what became St. James Cathedral, when they moved to Iowa. After Eva died, Peter Adam lived with Ambrose & his second wife, Maria, presumably until he died. Don't have an obit for him, either. I know of a Berg who is researching the family, but I think her interest is in the Oehler side. Family ended up in Delaware County, IA. Always more to search for...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions