Search for content in message boards

HUFF of Ernestown & Wiarton, Ontario, Canada

HUFF of Ernestown & Wiarton, Ontario, Canada

Posted: 11 Dec 2005 3:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Sep 2006 12:25AM GMT
Surnames: HUFF, LONEY
I am looking for my GG grandfather:

George (James?) HUFF. b. about 1852 possibly in Ernestown, Lennox & Addington Co., Ontario, Canada.

His parents were Thomas HUFF & Priscilla Unknown (unproven) of Ernestown (1861 Census).

The census states that they were of the Wesleyan Methodist faith. and Thomas was a labourer.

George HUFF married abt. 1877/78 to Jane Emma LONEY in Ernestown, Lennox & Addington, Ontario.Wiarton, Ontario.

Their first child: Ida May HUFF b. 1878, Ernestown, 2nd child: Emma Jane b. abt. 1879, Ernestown.

3rd child: James Albert HUFF b.1881, Wiarton, Bruce Co, Ontario

4th child: Georgina Mina HUFF b.1885,
Wiarton, Bruce Co. Ontario

George HUFF then appears to have died as Jane Emma Loney marries for a second time to Christopher Neil MacKinnon in 1888 in Wiarton, Bruce Co, Ontario

I have looked on the Wesleyan Methodist Baptismal Register 1834 - 1898 and do not find any records of this HUFF family.

Any help or information on this family would be most appreciated.

Katannya

Re: HUFF of Ernestown & Wiarton, Ontario, Canada

David Hough (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2006 6:54PM GMT
Katannya,
Several questions come to mind here:
Do you know what George's occupation was in Wiarton ?
Do you have the marriage banns or license information which state who George's parents were ?

I have a George H. Hough, s/o Thomas in data bank. However, I lost him after the 1871 Census. However, there is a George who appears in the 1900 US Federal Census with a wife of 13 yrs(That would place the date as about 1887, just about the time that you state he may have died.), born in July 1850. He was living in Brooklyn, New York at the time and had a wife named Susan. No children are listed.
Also, the information given states he came to the States in 1875, which would not match the information you have given about his marriage. That date could have been a mistake. The seven could easily be an "8."
Other Canadian Huff's or Hough's did lie about when they entered as did many other Canadians. Some weren't sure of the year.
Most of his brothers and sisters entered the United States between 1885 and 1888.
How about the children of his marriahe to Jane ? I have looked for them in the 1901 and 1911 Canadian census' and have not found any of them. Did they too move to new York ?
How about Christopher Neil MacKinnon ? Tried looking him up in the same census reports and found none.
One last item. George's middle initial was "H."
David

David Hough (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2006 2:42AM GMT
Katannya,
How are you related to Thomas and Priscilla ?
I found the following on the Ontario Marriages web page. Are they yours ?
5204-05 (Bruce Co) James More HUFF, 23, labourer, Wiarton, Owen Sound, s/o James HUFF & Jane LORDY, married Eva Murial WEIR, 16, Wiarton, Owen Sound, d/o Robert WEIR & Laura TRAYER, witn: Frank PRIYAN, Wiarton & Georgina HUFF, Owen Sound, 8 Feb 1905 at Wiarton.

David Hough

Posted: 7 Feb 2006 6:46PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2006 9:53PM GMT
David, Thank you kindly for your reply. Thomas & Priscilla Huff were my gg grandparents. Their son: George Huff - Father to James More Huff (my g uncle). The family are trying to find more about Thomas Huff and Priscilla ? and George.

The marriage record says parents of James More HUFF are James HUFF & Jane (LORDY) This should have been LONEY.

I do not know who Frank PRIYAN was but Georgina HUFF was James More HUFF's younger sister.

Again, Thank you and if you are able to supply further information it will be greatly appreciated.

Katannya

Posted: 7 Feb 2006 6:51PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2006 9:53PM GMT
David, Further to my last reply: Thomas & Priscilla HUFF's son; we know as George HUFF although his legal name could well have been James George or George James. We cannot find the birth or marriage records of George / James HUFF

Katannya
per page

Find a board about a specific topic