Search for content in message boards

Adding Video and Audio to member tree

Adding Video and Audio to member tree

Posted: 21 Mar 2010 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Aug 2012 8:23PM GMT
I would like to add a video to a member of my tree, but I see that you can only record video. Is there any other way to add video? If not, will this feature be added?

Terry

Re: Adding Video and Audio

Posted: 25 Mar 2010 5:17PM GMT
I would also like to have the ability to upload a video. Not a one or two minute video, either.

Posted: 31 May 2010 5:35PM GMT
I have also asked for that. I wouldn't mind be able to upload a/v files, mp3s or mp4 files. If another "social networking" company can do it, why can't Ancestry do the same?

Posted: 31 May 2010 6:51PM GMT
Ancestry is not now, never has been, and hopefully (despite their current efforts) never will be a primarily social networking site.

Posted: 31 May 2010 7:49PM GMT
>Ancestry is not now, never has been, and hopefully (despite their current efforts) never will be a primarily social networking site.

Andy,

WHO ever said that Ancestry become a social networking site? Even though it is a quasi-social networking site already.

All I said is if that social networking site can do it, why can't Ancestry? Stay on point.

Posted: 31 May 2010 7:58PM GMT
Imho, the point is that just because social networks do it doesn't mean that Ancestry should.

The less like a social network, and the more like an actual research site, Ancestry becomes the better off genealogy as a whole will be.

Posted: 31 May 2010 8:36PM GMT
>Imho, the point is that just because social networks do it doesn't mean that Ancestry should.

Andy,

You don't get it at all, do you? Ancestry already has that capability of "adding" a/v files although in a tortured manner. What we are asking is the ability to add a/v files in the same manner that this other site has. It would make adding a/v files MUCH easier. There is NO harm, or "fear" on your part, that doing so will automatically turn Ancestry into that other site.

Posted: 31 May 2010 10:52PM GMT
I get it- I just don't see it as that high a priority when there is so much else at Ancestry that really needs attention (the search function, the indexing, the constant updates and maintenance, etc.).

I'd much rather that Ancestry spend the time and resources fixing these basic types of things instead of expending them on nice to have but not really required features.

Posted: 1 Jun 2010 12:35AM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2011 5:58AM GMT
At least you got over your "fear" of that social networking site.

We just would like it added, sooner rather than later I would hope. They can do it. I don't care about improving the search. For me, it has improved light-years since I first started to complain about it. I no longer get extraneous results in my searches, but I digress and that is a matter for another discussion.

>"I do *NOT* suffer fools gladly, and self-righteous fools not at all."

The Fool and Me.

Posted: 11 Sep 2010 8:18AM GMT
Video can be added by using a virtual webcam. Once you have a virtual webcam running, feed the video you would like to upload to ancestry.com into the virtual webcam. From the ancestor entry you would like to add video to select the add video media option. From there you should have a window displaying the video feed of the virtual webcam, press record in the ancestry window to record up to 12 minutes of video.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions