Search for content in message boards

Nicholsons in Georgia

Nicholsons in Georgia

David Nicholson (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2003 5:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on the Nicholsons who moved from Tn. to Georgia. I can only trace back to Thomas Nicholson (b.1818 in Tn). He moved to Georgia at some point in time. He had a Daughter named Catherine, who had a son named James. James is my great grandfather. He is buried at Mt. Vernon Baptist Church Cemetery, Gilmer County, Georgia. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks!

Re: Nicholsons in Georgia

judy walker (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2003 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson
Do a search for Isaac Nicholson. There are two of them, one about 1745 & the other his son. They have many descendants, one is Amos, my gggg-gfather. The family branched out over NC, TN, GA & AL. Mine ended up in Monroe Cty., TN, but spent some time in Cherokee Cty., NC. I know this isn't any direct help, but it might be a starting place.

Barbara Nicholson-Beaver (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2003 5:39PM GMT
Hi David, My Dad's cousin Edmond Nicholson (He descends from Susan Annie Nicholson, daughter of Thomas and Susanna, and I descend from John Henry Nicholson, son of Thomas and John Henry Nicholson..They connect to you, because Susan Annie , John Henry, and Catherine were siblings..They also had a son named Isaac who was In Texas in 1930, living with his son Walter. Isaac was remarried..

Someone also has Thomas being the son of Isaac Nicholson and Rebecca Penry, but no proof of that..We havent been able to get back farther then Thomas either...And still trying to find out Rebecca's maiden name..

We also have contact with William Thomas's descendents, and another one I forgot .. My grandfather was Jerry "Austin" Nicholson who lived in Dalton, Georgia..

Feel free to contact me..

Barbara

Barbara Nicholson-Beaver (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2003 5:55PM GMT
David,
Sorry, but I made a mistake..Rebecca Smith descends from Susan Annie..Edmond also descends from John Henry Nicholson..His father was John Henry, jr Nicholson..Grandpa Austin and John Henry were brothers..They also had a daughter name Odessa Mae Nicholson who married a Prichard, but went by the Pritchard spelling..

Barbara

PegWmws (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2004 12:13PM GMT
Surnames: NICHOLSON, SMITH, LINK
Is this that Amos Nicholson?

CHEROKEE COUNTY, NC - CENSUS - 1860 Federal Census
217 SMITH
.... Jonathan...42 m...Farmer...Rabun Co., GA
.... Sarah...35 f......Monroe Co., TN
.... Martha A....20 f......Cherokee Co., NC
.... Mary J....16 f......Cherokee Co., NC
.... Margaret R....14 f......Cherokee Co., NC
Nicholson, George W....6 m......Cherokee Co., NC
Nicholson, Amos...64 m......Pendleton Dist. SC

Sarah was widowed and later married Moses LINK. The Polk Co. Cemetery book lists Sarah Link with the comment "dau/o Amison Nicholson." I would appreciate contact from others interested in this line and have additional info to exchange.

judy walker (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2004 2:08PM GMT
Yes, these are my family. Margaret, the 14-year-old was my gg-gmother. I have copies of Amos's application for a War of 1812 pension & his 2nd wife's widow's pension application. My cousin & I have been researching the family off & on for quite awhile, but have been unable to trace the Smith's back beyond Jonathan's parents, James & Mary Smith. Amos was first married to Nancy Goocher (b. SC). His father was Isaac Nicholson. They apparently moved from SC to Cherokee Cty, then to Monroe. The Smiths moved from Rabun Cty., GA, to Cherokee Cty., NC, & from there to Monroe Cty. TN. Family legends say that they were at least part Cherokee & moved deeper into the mts. to hide from Removal.
If you send me your mailing address I'll be happy to send copies of the pension app, etc.
Judy Walker

Posted: 13 Apr 2004 11:55PM GMT
Email has been returned. Please contact me.
Peg

Judy Walker (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2004 1:34AM GMT
Try this e-mail address. If it doesn't work, try judyw@ffast.net
I can't remember which one I used to register. Sorry.
Judy

Ray O'Connor (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2004 2:24PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson, Sutton, O'Connor, Morton
I am a descendant of Thomas Nicholson b. in Tennessee in 1818. His son Andrew Jackson Nicholson is my greatgrandfather. I have looked for evidence that his parents were Isaac and Rebecca Penry Nicholson in Monroe County Tennessee but I have not been able to find definitive proof. Does anyone have it?

David Nicholson (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2004 12:59PM GMT
I have also heard that Thomas' parents were Isaac Nicholson and Rebecca Penry, but I also have no proof. Please keep my email address handy in case you find something, so you can let me know. I will do the same. Thanks, David Nicholson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic