Search for content in message boards

LIDGOLD, BENDEN, HAMMON - England 16&17th Century

LIDGOLD, BENDEN, HAMMON - England 16&17th Century

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 9:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lidgold, Benden, Hammon
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I've been digging through my father's family history, and have managed to track one line back to mid-17th Century England where I've come up against a few dead-ends. I know going back this far is going to cause difficulties regardless, however in researching the names, I'm wondering if I've stumbled upon some Jewish ancestors?

Excuse my ignorance, but my understanding is that names that end in 'gold' are often Jewish, and the name Barbara Lidgold (b. 1732) appears in my family tree, however I've not been able to find anything about the history of this name, apart from the fact that there appears to have been half a dozen Lidgold families living in London in the late 19th Century and a Richard Lidgold in Hastings in the 17th C. I also have a Richard Benden (d. 1629, Sussex) and a Mary Hammon (b 163?), and although I have discovered English origins for these names, they are similar to the Sephardic Bendon and Hamon (I've been learning). The fact that these 3 names appear within a couple of generations has certaily piqued my interest.

I'm not sure what information I'm looking for, but has anyone encountered any of these names before, or does anyone have any advice on where I might be able to dig further back in time?

Re: LIDGOLD, BENDEN, HAMMON - England 16&17th Century

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 12:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
You can't attach much significance to Jewish-sounding names (and I'm skeptical of the claim that "names that end in 'gold' are often Jewish"). See this link for some discussion of the matter: http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/namfaq0.htm#11 This statement towards the end sums it up nicely: "...you *cannot* conclude from a family name alone whether the family is/was Jewish or not."

A DNA test might provide some indication of Jewish ancestry. JewishGen (www.jewishgen.org) is a good resource to find available databases of indexed Jewish records for the UK, as well as make contact with others who may be researching your surnames.

Good luck!
Mitch
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions