Search for content in message boards

John N Renfro/Rentfro 1819 KY

John N Renfro/Rentfro 1819 KY

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 1:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Oct 2013 6:26AM GMT
Surnames: Renfro, Rentfro, Long, McGinnis
Married to Mary A or/and Sarah, he had three children: Malissa 1844, Susan 1845 [she married Calvin McGinnis] and William 1849.

John's household was weird/complicated

There are references of him being married to a Margaret Long, who had to children (from a previous marriage), these children appear on the 1860 census in John's household but Margaret does not appear, Sarah does.

Mary appears in the 1850's census, but does not appear on the 1860's On John's grave, Sarah appears as his wife and Margaret Long has her own grave as Margaret Rentfrow, but researches say she was married to a John W, not a John N.

Clarification would be appreciated, and if anyone has this John's ancestry would be wonderful

Re: John N Renfro/Rentfro 1819 KY

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 11:05PM GMT
Here are some suggestions for you.

Attach all the records you are SURE of to your family tree on Ancestry. That will help you follow the family from one place to another. You should eventually try to identify everybody in all those records.

From your query, it appears that you believe the 1850 census record in Perry Co. IL is your correct family: John 33, Mary 31 and 5 children.

You also indicate that the same John Renfro is the one living in 1860 in Franklin Co. IL (Methodist Clergy). In that record his wife is apparently Sarah. The only child with the same name is Susan, 13. So you will need to reconcile the differences in the children between these two censuses. There are two children with the name Long: Euphrates 13 and Martha 8. This suggests that Sarah is the mother of these two children and that she was previously married to a Long.

Sure enough the 1850 census for Franklin Co. shows Sarah as the wife of Jas. M. Long. Euphrates is in the household.

So at this point the best guess is that Mary died between 1850 and 1860 and John Renfro married the widow Sarah Long. This is a theory only at this point. You will have to confirm or refute this theory with other records.

I also located John M. Rentfro in 1870 in Jasper Co. MO. His wife was Sarah. They apparently had a son George C. 8. Also Martha Long was in the household. Note that there was a William Rentfro age 54, b. TN living next door. It is possible that this is a relative.

In 1880 Jno N. Rentfro was still living in Jasper Co. MO. He was a minister and farmer. His parents were born in VA.

You have apparently found the entry on find-a-grave for J N. Rentfro, buried in Jasper Co. MO. Please note that the reference to "Margaret" is a comment made by someone. At this point you have no information as to whether this is correct, whether that was Sarah's middle name, or what. The person who left this comment did not explain where he/she got the information.

Finally, here is a link to Rentfro marriages in Illinois. Note that a John N. Rentfro married Mary Ann Bibb in 1842 and Sarah Long in 1859, both in Franklin County.

I think after you attach and account for all possible records for this family in your family tree, you will have a good timeline from which to proceed further.

Good luck with your research.

Sharon

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 2:03AM GMT
Thank you so much!, this offers me clarification, and does indeed help me widen my investigation!

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 2:06AM GMT
Oops, would you be so kind to share the link again? it seems that it got deleted

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 3:44AM GMT
The US Census of 1860 (Goode Township, Franklin Co, Illinois) I have shows:

Sarah as John's wife,

and the three kids with Mary, the two kids of Sarah
Malissa 16, Susan 13, William 11, Euphrates 13 and Martha 8.

Which led me to believe it was the same John
Attachments:

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 1:54PM GMT
Here is the Illinois marriage link. Don't know how it got deleted.

http://www.ilsos.gov/isavital/marriageSearch.do

If there is a problem with it this time, then Ancestry is deleting it on purpose. This is not a commercial site. It is the site of the Secretary of State of Illinois.

Let me know if it doesn't come through.

Sharon

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 2:22PM GMT
Here is more info on John N. Rentfro:

He served in the Civil War from Illinois and applied for a pension from Missouri.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/4654/32959_033055-02284/1187...

The actual pension file should have loads of good information. Note that Margaret L was his widow. So this might be a 3rd marriage.

Here is the 1890 Veterans census for John.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/8667/MOM123_30-0550/282895?b...

This confirms that the John from Jasper Co MO is the same one whose pension card is given above.

I located John and Margaret in the 1900 census, in Newton County, MO. They had been married for 15 years (c. 1885).

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7602/004118806_00218/3010524...

John was a preacher.

So the info on Margaret L as John's wife was correct. But she was his 3rd wife, which is probably why there was a separate grave. John likely bought the plot for him and his wife Sarah when Sarah died in 1884.

If you contact me via Member connect and give me your email, I will send you a copy of Margaret Rentfro's death certificate.

I urge you to get John's actual pension file. It should supply you with confirmation of the above and lots more.

Sharon

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 5:25PM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2013 5:51PM GMT
Thank you Sharon.

The first link says No Records Found, but was able to find the information by making a new search. (I appreciate the link!)

Have an image of the death pension but is not of good quality (can barely read what it says), will try to find a better one. and have his soldier information as well :-)

Been trying to get John's obituary or death cert. but have not been able to...

I'm on a free account so I have limited access, will try to message you if it lets me. Once again, I appreciate all the help you have provided me.

Edit:
Yup it is not letting me contact you. Thank you so much for the offer of the certificate.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 4:35AM GMT
Hi Sharon,

Thought I'd let you know of a discovery I just made, Margaret was the widow of John's stepson Euphrates Long. Which seems weird to me (personally I find it gross, because he basically married his daughter-in-law).

Either way, I'd want to thank you once again for all your help.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 12:52PM GMT
Yes. I just discovered that last night as well. That explains the "Margaret Long" that I've seen in various family trees. It took me a while to locate Euphrates in the 1880 census. He was listed under his nickname "Frates," which was misindexed of course.

I'll send links to a couple of documents later.

Sharon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions