Search for content in message boards

Isaac/Shelby/Shalby(Found as first name) Lykins/Likens/Likins/Laykins(multiple spellings of last name)1882-86 died before 1940.

Isaac/Shelby/Shalby(Found as first name) Lykins/Likens/Likins/Laykins(multiple spellings of last name)1882-86 died before 1940.

Posted: 18 Nov 2013 7:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Nov 2013 9:11PM GMT
Surnames: Lykins,Smith
According to census Shelby lived in Morgan,Magoffin,Floyd and Greenup Counties,1910/1920/1930. WW1 registration card in Wayland,KY.1918 Lived next to a Lykins in 1910 who turned out to be a 2nd cousin to the Lykins Shelby lived next to in 1930.

Worked for the ElkHorn Coal Company as a miner.

Marriages License in Morgan County in 1903/1904 to Laura Smith.3rd marriage for her,first for him.

1940 Census list my great grandmother Florence/Laura Smith Lykins as Widowed.

So where did he come from and where did he die? I need help.

Edited to clarify names.

Re: Isaac/Shelby/Shalby Lykins/Likens/Likins/Laykins b1882-1886 died before 1940.

Posted: 18 Nov 2013 8:51PM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2013 8:55PM GMT
Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
PASSENGER LISTSView Image
NAME: Isaac Shelby
BIRTH: year
DEPARTURE: location
ARRIVAL: date - Halifax, Nova Scotia and St John, New Brunswick

I guess this cant be him since you said he died in 1940
New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Isaac H Shelby
Name: Isaac H Shelby
Arrival Date: 11 Jul 1945
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: West Point
Search Ship Database: Search the West Point in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Re: Isaac/Shelby/Shalby Lykins/Likens/Likins/Laykins b1882-1886 died before 1940.

Posted: 4 Sep 2014 6:17PM GMT
Morgan Cou

Re: Isaac/Shelby/Shalby(Found as first name) Lykins/Likens/Likins/Laykins(multiple spellings of last name)1882-86 died before 1940.

Posted: 4 Sep 2014 11:47PM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2014 12:17AM GMT
Have you gotten the complete original marriage bond (not the return or certificate) for Shelby and Laura? Usually by this time the bond requires information about where each person was born and in some cases parents.

Also, if you have not already done so, get the marriage bonds/licenses for his two sons. They probably married in Greenup County, KY. Shelby's birth place may be given.

Sharon

Re: Isaac/Shelby/Shalby(Found as first name) Lykins/Likens/Likins/Laykins(multiple spellings of last name)1882-86 died before 1940.

Posted: 5 Sep 2014 1:25PM GMT
I have no idea what happened to my other message.Sorry about that but, THANK YOU for the suggestion of the whole record,I always just assumed that the info on the return was all the info there was.I just called the clerk and have to do it by mail(boo) but I also put in a request on a couple Morgan Co boards for a look-up.PayPal is a wonderful thing .

Again thank you,
Jennifer

Posted: 5 Sep 2014 6:33PM GMT
Sometimes bonds/applications are kept separately from the license/certificates. Even some local researchers don't know about them. So you need to be very precise (and perhaps insistent) about what you need.

I have had good response dealing with KY clerks. Let them know you only need an Uncertified Photocopy Just be specific in your request, include their fee (usually only a dollar or two in cash) and an SASE. I usually get my records in a week.

Order the same records (from Greenup Co.?) for the marriages of Shelby's two sons. By the 1930's the applications were even more detailed.

Also, I know that the 1940 census record indicates that Florence was widowed. That may be true, or maybe not. Sometimes "widowed" was a euphemistic way of saying "divorced."

Good luck.

Sharon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic