Search for content in message boards

Nolan Moran (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
About 1670-90, James Moran and Elizabeth Rice of County Clare ,had at least 3 sons...Thomas, Peter,and John (poss. a William or a Gabriel) .The sons left County Clare and came to Maryland settling in the Charles County area . Thomas Moran married Ann Gorman in Ireland according to tradition and had Gabriel,James ?, Mary, and Elizabeth.Their son Gabriel (bc1690-d.1734) married Elizabeth Villett (poss. a French Huegenot) purchased Lot# 35 in 1714 in Calverton Manor and had John, Peter, Andrew, and William .There is a tradition that indicates the Morans were originally from County Offaly ...removing to County Clare during Cromwell's reign of terror .Some of the descendants of Gabriel emigrated to the West ,but William Thomas Moran(bc1730) my grt-grt-grt-grt grdfather, came South to Halifax County,NC about 1768 where he died in 1797. His children settled in NC, Ga, and KY.
I would like to connect with an Irish Moran family researcher who can help me firm up
the family traditions in my heritage.
Possibly Thomas and the sons of James were "snowgeese" who fled to France for a short time before coming to America.
It would be wonderful to find an Irish cousin who knows about this family and is willing to share information with me.
Thanking you in advance,
Nolan Moran

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 8:23PM GMT
Surnames: Re: Moran, Young and Smith
I, like you, would like to find out about the Morans who settled in Halifax County, NC. My G G Grandmother Nelly Moran who married James Smith August 22, 1825, was born about 1800 and resided in Halifax County until at least 1880 where she is shown living in Brinkleyville, Halifax County, NC with her daughter Elizabeth Smith. I believe it is possible her parents were Henry Moran, born 1762, Charles Co., Maryland and Sarah Young, born 1764, Halifax County, NC, but I cannot prove it as the material I saw about their children stated some of their children might not have been listed. I believe Nelly's name was actually Elinor, but marriage record states Nelly.
If you could give me some pointers or suggestions, I would truly appreciate it. It seems several of the Morans lived in Halifax County at some time, which makes it more confusing for me.
Thank you in advance,
Mattieleene S. Johnson
Posted: 5 Nov 2013 2:34AM GMT
There are quite a few Moran in the Co. Clare telephone book. the most appear to be in Ennis, some in Kilrush and have that in common with the name Rice. Addresses are sufficient for mail delivery. Also there are Gormon's in Kilrush (21) and Ennis (12)

No Villette as a person's name but as a place name in Waterford there is a Villette - The Cove and in Cork a Villette - Iona Park.

There are few records as early as you are looking for in Ireland. Co. Clare may have records that early but they are 1 of 4 who haven't a membership with which provide online
parish records. Co. Offaly/Kings are members.

There were Huegenot's in Ireland and you can find records about them and the counties where
they went to.

It is possible a French (Norman's) name could be from the Norman's who invaded England in 1066 and were later to go to Ireland with Cromwell and others in various invasions. There were wars between the French and English, so unlikely they would be going to France in this time period.

A possible Villette record I found in my sources was a Marriage License, Diocese of Dublin
Charles Lewis DeVillette 1773, to Julia Blosset.

Also in a Dublin Directory 1843, John Villett, stone.........

I don't think that is much that will help you find the information you want as there are hugh gaps of time.
and without Parish records, family connections are hard to find. + County United Kingdom+Ireland+ County

Annette Code
per page

Find a board about a specific topic