Search for content in message boards

Michael Louderback

Michael Louderback

Posted: 26 Aug 2006 2:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Louderback
I have seen reports that say Michael Louderback came from Germany with two brothers. There is a ship named "Two Brothers." Is there a chance that he came on this ship rather than with two brothers? Also I have seen Michael Louderback born 1770 and also 1755. Would this be father and son, uncle and nephew? Does anybody know either Michael's wife's full name? Thanks for any help.

Re: Michael Louderback

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 3:41AM GMT
Surnames: Louderback, Munyan
Something I read just recently regarding genealogy is that MANY family stories state that "three brothers" came to America from such and such. One stayed in the east, one went west and one went south. The author pointed out that most families stayed together when they arrived, and his contention is that this "three brothers" story is a myth, especially because it appears in so many family legents. So, your thinking about the boat named "Two Brothers" sounds plausible.
I have a Michael Louderback born about 1781 married to Elly Munyan. I don't believe he'd be yours, though, due to the dates you gave.

Gayle Williams (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2006 1:15PM GMT
Thanks for responding. Our Michaels may have been cousins. Do you have anything further back? Maybe his parents? I keep hitting this wall when it comes to Michael. I'd appreciate any help getting past this. Gayle

Gayle Williams (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2006 1:37PM GMT
Thanks for your response. Perhaps our Michaels were cousins. I'm writing you a note to your email address with more details. I sure appreciate any help I can find to get past this "brick wall."

Posted: 28 Feb 2008 8:43PM GMT
Michael Louderback (1750-1770)is my brick wall. If you have any other info that relates to your post of Aug 2006, I would very much appreciate it. If the source you mentioned would like to share where they got the info, I would also appreciate it. I am really stuck here and I need all the help I can get. Thanks for your help.
G Lauderbach
mytang67@yahoo.com

Posted: 2 Mar 2008 11:56PM GMT
Hi. I think we might have corresponded before. I have nothing new on the Louderbacks unfortunately. Several of us have been working together trying to locate information on our Louderback ancestors using multiple spellings of the name and have come up with nothing. If ANYBODY out there has information on Michael, we would love to hear from you. He was in Ohio in the early 1800s but disappears.

Posted: 3 Mar 2008 5:41AM GMT
Surnames: Louderback/Lauderbach
Hello all Louderbacks,I have hit a brick wall too,but I have really hit two.
I have Michael in Allegheney,PA in 1790 and then nothing until he is in OH. And I also have corresponded with a gentleman in Germany that is a RevWar buff,the reason I hunted over there was that I found where a Michael Lauderbach from Himmelkron,Germany deserted the AB troops in Oct,1781.This gentleman looked Michael up and even went down to the church where he was born and baptised Oct. 20,1756 in Himmelkron.Michaels full name was Johann Michael Lauderbach and his father's name was Johann Jacob Lauterbach his mother was Catharina Hoepflin(the "in" meant she was female.Michael also had an older brother Johann Lauderbach.I have more about his route to America and the route those troops took in the USA, but I don't want to take up the room for it here.If you are interested in any of this or think you could help connect the two ends please contact me at: green702@claynet.com
Thank you all,I hope this helps.

Re: Michael Lauderback

Posted: 4 Mar 2008 7:46PM GMT
Surnames: Lauderback, Munyan
My Michael Lauderback was born about 1781 in Pennsylvania and married Elly Munyan in Scioto County, Ohio on December 14, 1813 in that county. They appear in Scioto County censuses from 1820 through 1850, at which time they disappear for 1860. However, Elly is living with her daughter Sarah and her husband Peter Bussey in Clay County, Illinois in the 1870 census. Where they were in 1860 is anyone's guess.

I believe my Michael is one of the sons of Hannah Lauderback who is listed in the 1820 Scioto County census.

I know that there is another Michael Lauderback who lived in Brown County, Ohio who was a little bit older than my Michael. In information I have found from Allegheny County, PA, there was a Conrad Louderback there in 1788 who died there by 1797.In the 1800 Allegheny County, PA census, the Lauderbacks listed are Michael, John and Peter. In 1803, Conrad's son Peter tried to take off to KY without finishing the administration duties of his father's estate. (Conrad's wife's name was Barbara). Barbara filed suit against her son fearing that "the will of the court will be defeated, the administration remain unsettled and said Peter will waste and destroy the estate". Conrad's will had listed three sons, Micahel, Peter and John, with Peter most likely being the oldest, but appearing to want to take the estate money and get out of Dodge!

Along these same lines I found that Peter Lauderback, Conrad Louderback, Michael Louderback and John Louderback were listed in the 1786 Washington County, PA (Dickinson Township)tax list. (Washington County was created from Westmoreland County, PA in 1781...Allegheny County was created from both Westmoreland and Washington Counties in 1788). In 1781, Lauderbacks listed in the tax lists are Michael, Andrew, John, Peter and Conrad. According to Conrad's will, his children were Kelty, Peggy (probably Margaret), John, Michael, Andrew and Peter.

As for my Michael possibly being the son of Hannah, I found an interesting bit of information recently on a research trip to the Ft. Wayne, IN library. In the Lancaster County, (PA) Abstracts of Wills, I found a will for John Schneider dated September 10, 1795 and probated November 27, 1795. Executors were John Miller and Gottlieb Nauman (Newman) from Manheim Township. John Schneider listed his wife Hannah and his children as: John, Michael and Margaret Lauderback, Elizabeth and Michael Berger, Andrew, Philip, Barbara and John Hess and Peter. The listing in the abstract made it impossible to know where Elizabeth was a Lauderback married to a Berger, or whether she was Schneider's daughter. The same for Andrew and the children listed after him. I assume they were Schneiders and Barbara (Schneider) had married John Hess. So, Hannah's previous married name had been Lauderback. Twenty-five years later there is a Hannah Lauderback in Scioto County in 1820, along with a Michael Lauderback, a Peter and a John Lauderback. Why she would go back to her first married name, if this is Hannah Lauderback Schneider, is unknown. And I may be off the mark on that one.

I appreciate any and all input and hope this helps someone.

Ladonna Viertel

Posted: 8 Mar 2008 4:57AM GMT
Ladonna, thanks for all the info on Louderback/Lauterbach, but after all the research I have done on Conrad from PA, I believe that he might be an uncle to our Michael and not his fahter. I have viewed several documents on Conrad and his family and everyone I have talked to in our line believes what I do. I am sorry I have no info on your Michael b. 1781, but I strongly beleive that they are all related. I appreciate all the trouble you went through. Thank You !!
Gail

Posted: 19 Apr 2008 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Louderback, Lauterbach
I found this information on a bunch of Lauterbachs. They were Germany troops that came to fight in the Revolutionary War (for the British I might add) and then stayed:

Lauterbach, 1775 - listed as Hessian Troops in the American War for Independence (Prussia)
Henrich Lauterbach - 1775 - same listing
Herman Lauterbach - 1775 - same listing
Lauterbach, 1776 - same listing
Ludwig Lauterbach - 1777 - same listing
Johannes Lauderbach - 1777 - same listing
Johannes Lauterbach - 1777 - same listing (different man because different page number)
Georg Michael Lauterbach - 1780 - troops of Ansbach-Bayreuth (Bavaria)
Michael Lauterbach - 1781 - troops of Ansbach-Bayreuth
Johann Lauterbach - 1783 - troops of Ansbach-Bayreuth
Ludwig Lauterbach - 1783 - Hessian Troops
Albert Lauterbach - 1783 - troops of Ansbach-Bayreuth
Konrad Lauterbach - 1783 - troops of Ansbach-Bayreuth

Notice that some are HESSIAN (Prussia) and some are from Ansbach-Bayreuth (Bavaria)

I'm from the Michael line that went to Ohio...still working on that angle.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions