Search for content in message boards

Uriah York

Uriah York

Mellensmom (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 1999 9:31PM GMT
Looking for Uriah York. He married a girl named Rebecca, and they had a daughter, Martha, about 1815, in Rogersville, Alabama. She married William Henry Goode.

Re: Uriah York

Bruce E. York (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2002 8:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes, I have some info on this family. Uriah York b. abt 1790-1799 in NC and d. 1835 in Lauderdale Co, AL; son of Joseph York b. abt 1734 Sandy Creek, Randolph Co, NC and d. 8 Oct 1809 Madison District, Mississippi Territory, AL and Jemima Burrow b. abt 1750-1760. Uriah md Rebecca Vailey b. abt 1794-1797 and d. abt 1871 in Lauderdale Co, AL. She is enumerated in 1850 and 1860 Lauderdale Co, AL censuses.

Uriah and Rebecca had 14 children that I know of including Martha Jane York b . abt 1815 who md William Goode b. abt 1815. They md 3 Dec 1835. She later md Ransom H. Powers. I would be glad to share info with you on this family. Please send me a gedcom file of all you have descending from Uriah & Rebecca. Thx and love, Bruce E. York -- bruyork@wans.net

Two Martha Yorks: one married Goode, one married Powers

Jeanene Daniels (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2002 8:24AM GMT
Surnames: Powers, York, Goode, Dobbins, White, Crabb, Lovell, Bradley, Butler
The Martha Jane York that married William Goode and the Martha A. York that married Ransom Powers are two different people.

Martha Jane York was the daughter of Uriah York and was born ca 1817 in AL. She married William Goode in 1835 in Lauderdale Co, AL. They had at least 12 children born between the years 1836-1858. Martha Jane died after 1860 and before 1864 when William Goode married Olive S. Cole, widow of Elisha McCartney. William Goode, Martha Jane York Goode, and Olive S. Cole McCartney York lived in Lauderdale County, Alabama.

Martha A. York, born ca 1824-25, married Ransom H. Powers in 1844 in Lauderdale County, AL. I have not determined who Martha A. York Powers' parents were, but I believe she was probably a granddaughter of Joseph York who died in what is now Madison County, AL. This would make her a first cousin to the Martha Jane York that married William Goode. Martha and Ransom lived in Giles County, TN and Limestone Co, AL. Their children were born 1846-1865. These children were Richard Lewis H. Powers who married Permelia Angeline Crabb (or possibly Bradley) (my line); Sarah "Sally" Powers who married Sam Dobbins, a widower; George Powers, marriage data unknown to me; Nancy Jane "Janie" Powers that married William D. Lovell; Thomas Henry Powers that married (1) Ellen Anice Tady White and (2) Martha Loretta "Mattie" White (sisters), and Mary Powers that married John R. Butler. These children moved to Lauderdale County, Alabama where most of their marriages took place and some of them migrated on to Sebastian County, Arkansas. Martha and Ransom both died between the years 1870 and 1880.

These two Martha Yorks cannot be the same person.

Descendants of 2 Marthas

Bruce E. York (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2002 3:10PM GMT
Hi Jeanene: Thank you for your info on the two Martha Yorks. I would appreciate receiving info on their children, etc. Could you send gedcom files of all descending from the two Marthas. Thx and love, Bruce

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 6:51AM GMT
Hello. Uriah York is in my linage. He had a daughter Sarah York that married a Henry Johnson (they are my GGgrandparents. Do you have any information about them going to Texas?

Posted: 22 Dec 2007 9:02PM GMT
Surnames: York, McClanahan
I'm looking for info. & confirmation on Uriah York's daughter Mary's marriage to William McClanahan in Lauderdale Co., Alabama. I've found Uriah York, Jimima his mother, widow of Joseph and Solomon (I'm wondering if he is a brother?) in Limestone Co., Alabama 1830 census. In 1840 Uriah's wife Rebecca is seen in Lauderdale Co. under R. York.

Any help on this line is most appriciated
per page

Find a board about a specific topic