Search for content in message boards

Taking off an entry without erasing permanently...

Taking off an entry without erasing permanently...

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 6:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, i made a mistake and entered the wrong person in my tree on the wrong line, when i remove this person it seems to remove her from my list of people entirely ev erywhere that she appears....which 12 generations back seems to be quite often....

Now if i edit this person, it changes her all over the place even where i dont wish to change her....

I really dont want to erase her everywhere that i have here entered and then have to go redo her whole tree again...there has to be a way around it??? Help!

Re: Taking off an entry without erasing permanently...

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 7:40PM GMT
I'm not sure exactly what you need-nowever-if you have a person whom you entered as a child, spouse, mother, etc. of the wrong person, here is the way to correct that without deleting said person. Go to "edit this person"-then the heading "relationships". Click on that and you will be able to see anyone you have this person linked with. Then using "remove" you can remove the incorrect relationship without removing the person. Then follow the steps to link said person with the correct relationship.

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 8:16PM GMT
Ok here is what i did.

The main person for it is: Victoire Filion

I entered her father as Paul Filion which is correct and i entered Paul Filion's mother Francoise Senard as his wife (Victoire Filion's mother) instead of putting her up as his mother. I entered Francoise from my list of ancestors as i knew i had seen her in behind some other people.

Victoire Filion's mother is: Marie-Josephe Tremblay

Since i could not remove Francoise Senard from that case without deleting her everyewhere else, i edited all the info on her, but then it changed her to Marie-Josephe Tremblay everywhere, so now even with changing Francoise's info for Marie Joseph, it puts Francoise's parents as Marie-Josephe's which is incorrect. I will see if i can find the editing info that you referred to. Thank you

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 8:25PM GMT
Oh it worked! thank you so much! you saved my pedigree!!! lol

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 11:21PM GMT
You are welcome. I'm really glad that option is there. I have had to use it more than one time. There is also the "merge duplicates" option which is great too.

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 3:21AM GMT
I recently wanted to merge two people who were duplicates, but I couldn't find that option. One had only two references, so I ended up making note of the references, deleted her, and then added the references to the other person.

Where would I find "merge duplicates"?

Thanks!
Wilma

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 8:33AM GMT
See attached screenshot for the location of the "Merge Duplicates" option
Attachments:

Posted: 29 Aug 2013 3:43AM GMT
Thanks!

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions