Anna Jones, dau of Griffith Jones ?

sw (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2006 12:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Houston, Jones
re: Deed. 15 July 1702
Griffith Jones of Kent Co., PA,
to Thomas Woolaston of New Castle Co.,
1,000 acres of land in Cecil Co. on the east side of Elk River called Griffin.
Thomas Woolaston of Whitely Creek, Newcastle on Delaware Co.,
is bound to Anthony Houston of the same county, farrier, for £81 to be repaid to Houston on or before 29 Apr 1713.
Dated 19 Mar 1712.
Bond cancelled and recorded 15 Nov 1715.
Was there any connection between above
Griffith Jones and
Griffin Jones, possibly f-in-law of Wm Houston
bc.1715, co. Antrim, N. Ireland,
nephew of Henry McCulloch ?
COL. GRIFFITH JONES
March 18, 1769 Pasquotank Co.
Sylvanus Sawyer exect.
to the last will & testament of Col. Griffith Jones deces.
to Isaac Gregory.
Whereas the said
Griffith Jones by his will...dated Oct 27, 1766
to sell the estate & divide among his seven children.
Exectors appointed Sylvanus Sawyer & Samuel
Swan.....
Samuel Swan being deces. on the 18, Mar. 1769...
did expose to public auction...
land known by the name of Ivey Neck 50a.
bounded by Jacob Jones line close to the side of a beech ridge
up line to swamp to Isaac Gregory's line...
the land Griffith Jones deces. bought of William Hughes.

Re: Griffith Jones

Jim houston (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2006 5:44PM GMT
Shirley,

I show that the Griffith Jones of Bladen County who was the father of the Anna Jones who married William Houston was born about 1695 in Bladen County, North Carolina.
Since the Cecil County deed involving Griffith Jones was dated 15 July 1702, I assume that this Griffith Jones must have been born at least before 1681. Just A few years older and he might be a candidate as father of the North Carolina Griffith Jones. Let me nose around a little to see if I can locate the father of the North Carolina Griffith Jones and get back to you. By the way I have this in the database on the North Carolina Griffith Jones from page 212 of, "Dictionary of North Carolina Biography Vol. 3, H-K", by William Stevens Powell, published by Chapel Hill University of North Carolina Press in 1988:

"A wealthy man, Houston owned several large tracts of land and a number of slaves. In 1786, he donated land for a county seat to be built at Soracte, but Kenansville was later chosen instead. Houston married Ann Jones, the daughter of Squire Griffith Jones of Bladen County. They had five children: William, Jr., Edward, Griffith, Henry, and a daughter who married Captain William Hubbard."

Jim Houston
Fort Worth, Texas

Posted: 2 Apr 2009 4:22AM GMT
Surnames: jones
Hi,
I read your post and I wonder if you did find the father of the Griffith Jones from Bladen County. Do you know where he was from originally? He had a daughter named Mary and she was my gggg-grandmother but that is all I know. Any info you could share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
at120

Posted: 2 Apr 2009 4:22AM GMT
Surnames: jones
Hi,
I read your post and I wonder if you did find the father of the Griffith Jones from Bladen County. Do you know where he was from originally? He had a daughter named Mary and she was my gggg-grandmother but that is all I know. Any info you could share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
at120
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions