Search for content in message boards

Has something happened to sources since Ancestry.com was down today and now back up?

Has something happened to sources since Ancestry.com was down today and now back up?

Posted: 31 Aug 2013 8:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
I noticed that Ancestry.com trees were down today. When the site came back up I was thinking about syncing my tree, but then noticed in the sync advisory that there would be 303 source changes! I canceled the sync knowing that I certainly hadn't made that many source changes since last syncing. What's up? Has anyone else noticed something strange with sources and syncing today?

Re: Has something happened to sources since Ancestry.com was down today and now back up?

Posted: 31 Aug 2013 8:35PM GMT
I experienced the same thing a few days ago. 450 sources deleted 599 citations changed. It's safe to sync. Ancestry implemented some fixes that are responsible for what you are seeing (that was the response I got from FTM Dev). Back up the FTM file just before syncing to be safe, but it cleaned up some issues I had with duplicate source groups in FTM and I lost no data.
Attachments:

Re: Has something happened to sources since Ancestry.com was down today and now back up?

Posted: 31 Aug 2013 8:39PM GMT
Thank you! I appreciated your speedy reply and suggestion!

Posted: 1 Sep 2013 9:47PM GMT
Thanks, for me there were thousands of sources that should be deleted and and almost the same amount of citations to be changed, so I will wait with syncing a couple of days more so I don't see any horror stories before trying myself.

I do all my changes on-line on Ancestry, so even if I already have a backup of the FTM file I trust what's online more. And if a faulty sync makes my Ancestry and FTM trees the same - and both faulty - then a backup of the FTM file from before the sync is no cure-it-all. According to the blurb for FTM 2014 that TreeSync is "improved", and "lets you sync even more of your family tree info". Which indicates that the current TreeSync doesn't sync all family tree info, so my FTM file doesn't contain everything I entered in my Ancestry tree and an upload of that to a new Ancestry tree will miss some things.

Posted: 1 Sep 2013 10:10PM GMT
As I understand it, the current TreeSync (among other things) doesn't copy: Source Templates, Research Notes, Fact Notes, Media Notes, Relationship Notes, Relationship Media(!), Media File Names and Media Categories.

http://c.ancestry.com/Affiliate/Knowledgebase/Guides/Ancestr...

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 3:20AM GMT
Tommy - if you do all your work in ancestry, you don't have source templates or fact notes, media notes, etc., to lose since those are FTM features. I can assure you that the problem you have with the sources/citations is because you do most of your work on ancestry and ancestry has created multiple source groups in FTM (I believe it's the new merge tool for attaching records that causes this).

When you allow the sync, you will see that many of the duplicated spruce groups are combined and all your citations are still present. If you look at the sync report, you will see no citations were deleted. Only sources. Look at some of those on ancestry and you will see there is still a citation... That's because the citation changed to the correct source group and the empty source group was deleted (so to speak). That's why you have so many changed citations. The underlying source it is connected to was changed. It's a fix... even though it's kind of scary, it's okay to sync.

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 9:50AM GMT
Thanks, but isn't a photo you add to a marriage at Ancestry website Relationship Media? Or is it Relationship Event Media, and that is copied?

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 10:11AM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2013 12:44PM GMT
A photo added to an online tree is personal media - there is no category for relationship media in the online tree.

"Media items attached to relationships in Family Tree Maker are uploaded to Ancestry.com as personal media attached to each individual in the relationship."
http://help.ancestry.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5356/kw/rel... media

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 3:11AM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2013 6:37PM GMT
Thanks for posting that :) I have been syncing every day and had not seen anything unusual until tonight when it showed 7,730 citation changes and 5,762 sources to be deleted in addition to the changes I had made today. That threw me for a loop and I cancelled my sync twice before coming here to see if anything had been mentioned about this issue. .
I track my counts every day, so hard to miss something that drastic :)
I know that the online source list had gotten way, way too long. I had reported that my list was so long I couldn't scroll past U... in the alphabet. Maybe that problem will be fixed with this "cleanup" they are doing.
Would have been nice to be warned that it was happening to avoid the unpleasant surprise.

Barbara

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 4:34AM GMT
I think you'll find that the issue with the source list will be improved. I'm a little surprised there haven't been more questions on the boards about it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions