Search for content in message boards

KERR/MORTON Families of Fermanagh, Ireland > PA (1765)

KERR/MORTON Families of Fermanagh, Ireland > PA (1765)

erols.comGeorge W. Page (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2005 4:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MORTON, JACKMAN
I am seeking to contact reserchers with knowledge of the KERR Family of co. Fermanagh, Ireland prior to 1765.

Edward MORTON was married to Jane KERR probably in KENAWLEY Parish, co, Fermanagh prior to 1760. He immigrated with his brothers (and possibly Robert KERR) to PA in 1765.

An Edward Morton together with Thomas Morton and William Morton appear on the 1785 Tax List of Belfast Township, Bedford Co., (now Fukton Co.), PA.. Robert Kerr was also on the list [History of Bedford County, p. 654]

Edward appears as Edward Mortin on page 255 of the 1790 Federal Census of (Somerset Twp.), Washington Co., PA with (3, 1, 2, 0, 0). Robert KERR was nearby and appears on p. 256 with (2, 2, 3, 0, 0)

George W. Page
Bryans Road, MD
[Researching JACKMAN]

Re: KERR/MORTON Families of Fermanagh, Ireland > PA (1765)

Posted: 3 May 2005 8:18AM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2005 1:32PM GMT
Surnames: Kerr, Henderson, Morton
Hi George. This is just an FYI for you.

I am descended from some KERR families who seem to have been in Sligo, Ireland, in the 1780's/1790's, or before. My two ancestors, Patrick and Elizabeth (KERR?) KERR and William and Mary (KERR) HENDERSON were all born in the 1780's and 1790's, and at least the HENDERSON's were born in Sligo.

What many researchers have not found out yet is whether the parents of "all of the above" came to Sligo in the 1760's, or whether they were there much earlier.

Five related couples all went to Quebec, Canada, in the 1820's.

Because we don't know about the parents and siblings in Sligo, Ireland, we don't know if the parents and siblings migrated to other places.

Re: KERR/MORTON Ireland > PA

Ginny Kerr (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2005 8:23PM GMT
Surnames: Kerr, Morton
I am also looking for a Kerr and Morton from that area and time frame.

I have a Robert Kerr who married Jemima Morton, in Fermanagh Co. They had one daughter, Fannie, before immigrating in the 1770's. Robert and Jemima ended up in (now) West Pike Run Twp, Washington Co, Pa.

Nine known children, Fanny, William, John, Robert, Jane, Andrew, Gabriel, Thomas, and James. William and his wife, Jane Sprowls came to Wayne Co, Ohio. Gabriel and Thomas went to Lawrence Co, Ohio. (Thomas may have later went to KY). The rest stayed in Pa, several never marrying.

Love to hear from anyone with knowledge of this family.

George W. Page (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2005 2:29AM GMT
Surnames: MORTON HOG
I suspect your Robert KERR was the same Robert KERR who emigrated withEdward Morton and his brother in 1765 to Philly from where they migrated west through what is now Fulton Co., PA, to Washington Co., PA. Somerset Twp. is adjacent to West Pike Run Twp..

From the Kinawley Parish record in co. Fermanagh, Ireland, I find:
Page 7. BAPTISMS. 1768. Oct. 30. William, of James Kerr & Margaret Hog.

Posted: 31 Oct 2005 9:46PM GMT
I am a decendant of Robert and Jemima through Gabriel. I have some knowledge of that line (though sketchy at times) and also a little bit about Thomas. Will be glad to share what I know.

Posted: 1 Nov 2005 12:31AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2006 4:08PM GMT
Where in Ireland? I am researching Carr/Kerr Ballynocker, Castledawson, County Derry.

Jack

Posted: 1 Nov 2005 11:40AM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2005 11:16AM GMT
Surnames: Kerr, Morton
I would love to have more info on Gabriel and/or Thomas. This is all I have at this time.
Gabriel, born 1783, married 1809 Jane Crawford (dau of William and Rebecca Morton). 7 children, only have the name of one son, Washington.
Thomas James, born 1785, married a Davis and had 9 children.
Gabriel was supposed to have been a judge in Crawford Co. I know there was a judge, in that time frame, but I don't have proof that they are the same Gabriel. I have corrected other "known" facts from this family.
My email has changed since I'd first posted. You may reply to the list or privately to my new address. I would appreciate any help you can give me on these two. If you would like info on William's line, let me know.

Gin

Posted: 21 Oct 2007 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: Karr Kerr
I come from the John Kerr/Karr & Nancy Welch line and have some info on the William line but little on the Gabriel and Thomas line and would love to fine more. You might want to look at my web site to see where I am at in my research.
http://members.cruzio.com/~russjuhl/
Russ Juhl

Posted: 4 Feb 2008 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: Morton?Kerr
I am the 8th generation from Edward Morton.I have been researching and am interested in connecting with any "family".Jane Kerr was married to him when they came over here and my family settled in Somerset cty. Pa. and ended up in fallowfield twp Pa where my father was born.

Posted: 12 May 2008 4:41AM GMT
Surnames: Morton Kerr Karr
I have done some Morton work. I am from the Karr/Kerr line.
There are likely some errors included so let me know if you see anything that does not look right. Take a look.

http://members.cruzio.com/~russjuhl/

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions