Search for content in message boards

FLORENCE CRITTENTON - DETROIT

FLORENCE CRITTENTON - DETROIT

Posted: 13 Feb 2008 3:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crittenton
LOOKING FOR ANY AND ALL INFORMATION REGARDING MOTHERS AND CHILDREN WHO WERE CONNECTED IN ANY WAY TO THE FLORENCE CRITTENTON HOME FOR UNWED MOTHERS.DURING HE LATE 50'S EARLY60'S

Re: FLORENCE CRITTENTON - DETROIT

Posted: 10 May 2011 5:08AM GMT
I was born there in 1953

Posted: 26 May 2011 12:56AM GMT
I was born there in 1957 - not to an unwed mother, and not given up for adoption...

Posted: 27 May 2011 5:32PM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2011 3:39PM GMT
Hello,
If you are still seeking info about this, you may be interested to know that Crittenton Hospital is a large general hospital in the Detroit Metropolitan Area. It is now located in Rochester, Michigan, a northeast suburb of Detroit, but the original location was in the inner city.
The Home for Unwed Mothers was just a part of the institution. I also was born there, but back in the 1930's. My parents were legally married. Our family doctor worked out of that hospital. My mother said that the young pregnant women worked around the hospital, doing cleaning and other jobs; she saw them while she was there for her Cesearean operation. I think if you contact the hospital, they might be able to give you some leads to the info you want.

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 7:22AM GMT
I, too, am wondering if anyone has been successful in getting info regarding their birth parent from the 1950's files from Florence Crittenton in Detroit. Also, does anyone know if an unwed mother had to give proof of her identity there? How easy would it have been for a woman to go in under a false name in the 1950's? I'm hoping not easy. Please help!

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 4:48AM GMT
back in 1979, i wrote to florence crittenton hospital and asked, under the freedom of information act of 1967 and 1974 to be sent the medical records for my mother. due to a fluke, my actual birth mother's name was included on my 'real' birth certificate which i accessed after my adoptive mother's death. for the record i was born in february of 1958 at the hospital and adopted at 4 days old. remember this was prior the advent of computers, identity theft, etc. i called the hospital from los angeles and asked where to send the written request. i have to admit, i pretended to be my mother, the person's whose name was on that birth certificate. my ruse was that i now had cancer and i was routinely requesting my medical records for each and every hospital stay. i simply typed a letter and signed it as her with my address and within a week, i received those hospital records that included my grandparents names. i thought about it for all of 5 minutes, called information for detroit and called about 3 persons with my grandfather's name before i finally reached my grandmother. i had an elaborate story about an inheritance for her daughter and need to contact her. i was a young actress in l.a. at the time and i had no problem pretending. you know what? my grandmother gave me my mother's phone number without hesitation. that was indeed a harder call to make, but i made it and the rest is history quite unlike what you see in the movies. by the way, my grandmother told me she knew who i was as soon as she heard my voice. she always hoped i would find her someday. i have only told a couple of my family members this story and it's been years. i don't know how much i've helped anyone here, but i encourage you to go for it and find out who you are using every investigative means at your disposal. good luck!

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 3:15PM GMT
Surnames: wells
A boy, born in 1969 at Florence Crittenton Detroit. Looking for birth parents.

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 12:16AM GMT
What you want to do is contact Lansing, Michigan birth records. Birth records from Florence Crittenton Hospital in the 1950s were not kept at Wayne County. I went to Wayne County records in person and they said I'd have to go to Lansing to get copies. Apparently, children born "out of wedlock" had their records transferred there. They didn't say why. Don't give up. I found my Dad and DNA proves it but the first step is research. Good luck!

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 12:23AM GMT
This comes from their site and may be helpful. Good luck!
Their site is here: http://www.florencecrittentonhome.com/stateinfo.html
313-867-2372
Who May Access Information
Citation: Comp. Laws § 710.68
Nonidentifying information may be provided to:
•The adult adopted person
•The adoptive parents
•Birth parents and adult birth siblings
Identifying information may accessed by any of the persons listed above except for the adoptive parents.
Access to Nonidentifying Information
Citation: Comp. Laws § 710.68; 710.27
Within 63 days of a written request, the following information must be provided:
•The date and place of the child’s birth
•The health and genetic history of the child, including prenatal care, condition at birth, and any drug taken by the child's mother during pregnancy
•Any subsequent medical, psychological, psychiatric, or dental examination done when the child was under the jurisdiction of the court
•Any neglect or physical, sexual, or emotional abuse suffered by the child
•A record of any immunizations and health care the child received while in foster care
•The health and genetic history of the child's birth parents and other members of the child's family
•The findings of any medical, psychological, or psychiatric evaluation of each parent at the time of placement
•If a parent is deceased, the cause of and the age at death
•A description of the child and the child's family of origin, including:
◦The first name of the child at birth
◦The age and sex of birth siblings
◦The child's educational background and any special educational needs
◦The child's racial, ethnic, and religious background
◦A general description of the child's parents
•The child's past and existing relationship with any relative, foster parent, or other individual or facility
•The levels of educational, occupational, professional, athletic, or artistic achievement of the child's family
•Hobbies, special interests, and school activities of the child's family
•The circumstances of any order terminating the parental rights of a parent for abuse, neglect, abandonment, or other mistreatment of the child
•Length of time between the termination of parental rights and adoptive placement and whether the termination was voluntary or court-ordered
•Any information necessary to determine the child's eligibility for State or Federal benefits, including financial, medical, or other assistance
Mutual Access to Identifying Information
Citation: Comp. Laws § 710.68
Within 63 days after a request for identifying information about an adult adopted person is received, a child-placing agency or the department shall provide in writing to the birth parent or adult birth sibling requesting the information the adult adopted person's most recent name and address if the adult adopted person has given written consent to release of the information. If written consent is not on file, a confidential intermediary may be used to locate the adult adopted person.
Upon a written request for identifying information from an adult adopted person, including a request for the name and address of an adult birth sibling, the agency or department shall submit a clearance request form to the central adoption registry. After receipt of a clearance reply form from the central adoption registry, the agency or department shall notify the adopted person in writing of the identifying information to which the adopted person is entitled, or, if the identifying information cannot be released, the reason why the information cannot be released.
For adoptions finalized between 5-28-1945 and 9-12-1980, identifying information shall be released to the adult adopted person on each birth parent who has consented to the release, or both birth parents if both have consented or one or both parents are deceased. For adoptions finalized before 5-28-1945 or after 9-12-1980, identifying information may be released to an adopted adult unless the birth parent has filed a statement currently in effect with the central adoption registry denying consent to have identifying information released.
Access to Original Birth Certificate
Citation: Comp. Laws § 333.2882
A copy of the original birth certificate may be provided to the adult adopted person upon request when accompanied by a copy of a central adoption registry clearance reply form, or by court order.
Where the Information Can Be Located
•Central Adoption Registry
•Michigan Confidential Intermediary Program
per page

Find a board about a specific topic