Search for content in message boards

Slaughter and Schul Family

Slaughter and Schul Family

Posted: 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jul 2002 8:14PM GMT
Surnames: Slaughter, Schul, Avery
I am searching for information on the Slaughter, Schul, Avery families in Jackson County, WV. I am descended from Abraham and Delilah Slaughter, through their son John M. Slaughter who married Mary Ann Avery in Jackson County in 1859. One of their daughters was Louella Slaughter who married Fredrick Casper Schul. They moved to Kingman, Kansas, in about 1880 and settled in that part of the state.
Any information on any of these families would be appreciated. I am trying to find out if the Schul family was also from Jackson Cty.

Louella Slaughter Schul

Clark Blake (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Slaughter, Bibbee, Schul
Louella "Lou" Slaughter was b. Apr. 14, 1868, Cottageville, Jackson Co., WV, dau. of John M. Slaughter and Mary A. Avery and grandaughter of Abraham Slaughter and Delilah Bibbee. I didn't have Lou's marriage to Fredrick Schul nor the fact that they moved to Kingman, KS. I do have her death as being in Sep., 1930. All of my information is from a book on the Bibbee family that I wrote in 1997. I am currently finishing a supplement so would be very anxious to exchange information with you.

Slaughter-Avery Marriage

Clark Blake (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Slaughter, Avery
John M. Slaughter was b. Mar. 12, 1839, Cottageville, Jackson Co., WV. He m. Feb. 3, 1859, Jackson Co., Mary A. Avery. She was b. Oct. 6, 1843, IL, dau. of Simon and Mary
Avery. They had five children but I only have information on Clara and Abraham. Need spouses and children for Charles, Emma, and Louella. John M. served with Co. F, 9th WV Inf. (Union) during the Civil War.

Slaughter-Avery Marriage

Posted: 4 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Do you happen to know when Mary Ann Avery and John M. Slaughter got married, and where? How old was Mary Ann when she got married? One person told me she was only 14 years old??

Richard Day

Slaughter-Avery Marriage

Posted: 5 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: slaughter, schul, avery
Clark,
Thanks for the quick response. I didn't know that John M. returned to Jackson Co. I had that he died Nov 25, 1892 and was buried in Kingman, Kansas.

I have been trying to find the Schuls also. My Uncle Fred Schul told me years ago that they had come to Kansas from the Wheeling, West Virginia area in the 1880s. His father Fredrick Casper Schul was born in Wheeling, 20 October 1857 according to my Uncle. Fredrick's father, Balzer Schul, came from Germany/Prussia sometime around 1850, and supposedly served in the Union Army. So far, I have not found anything on these people.

Slaughter-Avery Marriages

Clark Blake (View posts)
Dear Richard:

Many thanks for new info on Schul family. Here is a little more on the Slaughters (and Averys). John M. and some of his family went to Kansas in about 1880 but he returned to Jackson Co. after a short time.His son, Abraham, married in Kingman, KS and died there. Most of their children went to OK. John M.'s brother, Elijah Slaughter, m. Simonia Fairchild "Sarah" Avery in Jackson Co. She was sister of Mary and was born in IL but raised by foster parents in Smithland, KY. She d. 1931; both bur.Cottageville Cemetery. I think that the Schuls must have come from KS as they are not mentioned in any Jackson Co. records.

Slaughter-Avery Marriage

Surnames: Slaughter, Avery, Schul, Day
Clark,

I think the info I have is correct. Louella Slaughter was born 14 April 1868. I thought she was born in West Virginia, but I'm not sure. Some where after 1880, the John M Slaughter family left Jackson County and moved to Kansas. I believe Kingman, Kansas. There Louella married Fredrick Casper Schul who had also moved to Kansas from West Virginia, Ohio county, around Wheeling.

They had three children, Edna Irene Schul, b 1893,
Lena Avis Schul, B 1889, and Fredrick Schul, b 1900. These are the only ones I'm aware of. Louella died in Spetember 1930 in winfield Kansas. Fredrick C. died in Feb 1943, also in Winfield. Lena A. Schul married Omer Oral Day from Washington Cty, Indiana, in 1914. I have some more on this line.

Re: Slaughter-Avery Marriage

Posted: 22 Sep 2004 9:12PM GMT
Richard,
Are you related to the Day family from Salem, Indiana? Were Charles and Isalene Day your grandparents?

Re: Slaughter-Avery Marriage

Posted: 23 Sep 2004 1:54AM GMT
Yes, I am realted to the Day family from Salem, but I descend from John W. Day, son of James and Mary Ann "Polly" Day. John W. Day had a son, George Nicholas Day, who had a son, Omer Oral Day, who had a son, Oris Omer Day, who had ME!!

I believe the Richard Day you are refering to in your email is Richard C. Day who no lives in Oklahoma.

Re: Slaughter-Avery Marriages

Posted: 31 Jan 2008 10:00PM GMT
Surnames: Slaughter/Parson/Smith/Pinkerton
Abraham Slaughter married my Great Aunt Minnie Cornelia Parson October 17, 1886 in Kingman KS. They had 11 children. If you would like additional information. I'll be glad to send what I have to you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic