Search for content in message boards

How to Deal with A Duplicate Source

How to Deal with A Duplicate Source

Posted: 3 Sep 2013 10:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have inadvertently created 2 copies of a source in my member tree. Is there some way to merge these?

Also, is there some way to see all of the facts that are connected to a specific source?

Thanks!

Wilma

Re: How to Deal with A Duplicate Source

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 3:29AM GMT
Not sure what you mean by a duplicate source - do you mean, e.g., that the 1910 census is listed twice? I don't think there is a way to merge your source citations, but why not just delete one of them? If they are actually supporting different facts/events, the answer will be in the same process used to see what facts are connected to the source (below).

To see what facts are connected to a source, first click on the facts/sources tab, above the timeline. Then click on "source citations" on the next screen. To see what facts are associated with a particular source, or to have that source support additional facts (including ones you just added to the timeline, based on something that is in the source), click on the link next to the word "Detail." On the next screen, at the right side of the page, there is a boxed area where there are two links, "edit citation" and "delete citation." If you click on "edit citation" and go down to the bottom of that screen, you will see all timeline facts for which that source is cited. You can check or uncheck anything in the timeline, to add or remove that source as authority for a particular fact.

O:ne thing about the "edit" screen that can cause problems: you MUST put something (literally anything, even a period) in the box for "detail," or the process will stall and not complete.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 5:34AM GMT
I inadvertently created two sources for the same book -- a book of cemetery inscriptions that i have in my personal library. I thought if I could merge them, that would be my first option.

I know I can delete one of them, but I didn't know how to see what facts are connected to each one (so I can get all of the facts attached to just one of the sources and then delete the unused source) which was why I asked that question, too. And, thanks to you, now I do!

I'm sure I haven't used this source very much, so this should be fairly easy to do. :)

I really wish there was a page where all of the sources were listed, where they could be edited, deleted, see the facts they're attached to, etc., and new sources added. I sent this suggestion to the board for suggestions, so maybe that will happen sometime. I can only hope!

I appreciate your help with this very much!

Wilma

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 6:10AM GMT
I just followed your instructions, and this doesn't do what I thought it was going to do. With your instructions, I have to be in one person't profile, and looking at the source citations only gives me the source citations for that person.

In order to do it your way, I need to know which people have Burial facts that were cited in the tombstone inscription book. This means I need to look at every person in my tree. Then, I still won't know which copy of the duplicate source is being used.

You are taking me from the Facts to the Source. I need to go from the Source to the Facts.

I'm kind of getting the feeling that there is no way to do this-- at least, not easily. Hmmm…

Wilma

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 6:31AM GMT
One way to help find all references to a source would be to download your tree to a gedcom file (tree pages - tree settings - export then download). Near the bottom you'll see something like:
0 @S-xxxxxxxxx@ SOUR
1 REPO @R-yyyyyyyyy@
1 TITL North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
1 AUTH Ancestry.com

Find the SOUR id ( the @S-xxxxxxxxx@) of source you are interested in then search for all references to the source.

0 @Pxxx@ INDI lines are the start of an individual. Note the name, birth, death info of individuals with a reference to your source. Using that info go to your online tree and manually remove/fix the citations.

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 7:13AM GMT
Thanks!

Then, how do I delete the duplicate source from the list of sources, so I don't use it again?

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 10:44AM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2013 10:45AM GMT
As far as I know there is no way to delete a source using the online interface. To keep from inadvertently using the source you could change its name to “Don’t use this source” or something similar. Unfortunately the online tree interface doesn’t have a direct source or citation management interface so this gets a bit complicated.

Pick any individual having a timeline event with a source citation. Click on “Facts and Sources” tab, then click on “Source Citations” tab. It would be easiest to pick an individual with the source citation you no longer want to use but not required.

You’ll see each Source Citation listed. Pick one, the one you no loner want to use would be nice. Ignore the “View image” and “View record” buttons, instead look for “n Citation(s) provides evidence for the following:” followed by Detail. For example 1 Citation provides evidence for the following: Name, Birth. Detail .... Click on the “Detail”.

You will then see a page titled “Source Citation”. Click on “Edit citation” (over to the right). Then you’ll see a page with “1. Source”. Using the selection box arrow find the source you no longer want to use, click “edit this source” (just below the selection box). In the edit source panel change the Source Title and click “Save Source”.

There might be (probably is ..) a more straight forward way to accomplish the above but this is my best shot.

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 3:41PM GMT
I think your way is probably as straight forward as it gets in Ancestry member trees! :)

I just followed your instructions, and I was able to rename the source I no longer wanted to use. I called it "Duplicate Tombstone Book" so if I come across it in a citation, I will know that I need to change the citation to the other/correct source for this book.

I still think there needs to be one "Sources" page where all sources are listed, where a source can be added, edited, and/or deleted, and where all citations to each source are listed.

In the meantime, someday when I need something to do, I will look at everyone in my tree to see if I can find the citations to the "Duplicate Tombstone Book." Yea, sure….

Thank you very much for your help with this!

Wilma

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 4:34PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2013 4:36PM GMT
If you use Family Tree Maker, there is a Sources page that will list everyone attached to a single source. I had done what you did - created a duplicate - and was able to find and fix them by identifying them in my downloaded tree in Family Tree Maker, then make the changes online and re-sync my tree. I use FTM as a backup and make all my changes to my online tree.
I recently changed the names of all the sources that *I* have created and put an underscore "_" in front of the name, so they all sort to the top of the source drop-down list now. Much easier than trying to remember what I had called them and having them buried in with all of Ancestry's sources. I identified all of them via Family Tree Maker's Source page.

Barbara

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 7:13PM GMT
Thanks, but I don't use FTM. Perhaps this will be helpful to someone else. :)

per page

Find a board about a specific topic