Search for content in message boards

Ann Sarah Hobday

Ann Sarah Hobday

Posted: 14 Jan 2007 8:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hobday
Looking for information on my ggg grandmother Ann Sarah Hobday born in Deal Kent in the late 1700's. Would like to know when she was born and who her parents were. She married John Williamson in 1815 in Wanlockhead, Dumfriesshire.

Re: Ann Sarah Hobday

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: Williamson - Reid - Martin
Hello –
Ann Sarah Hobday/Hoblay might also be in my family line. My grandmother’s grandmother was Caroline Williamson, born 1822 Wanlockhead, was supposedly one of her daughters.
I have found nothing on Ann Sarah at all or on Caroline before 1841 Scottish Census.
Any information you have on either would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 4:19PM GMT
Hi
Caroline Williamson was my ggg aunt. The other members of the family were Harriet who married Aaron Reid ICaroline's husband Wiliam's brother) and emigrated to America, Elizabeth , Margaret, Mary Ann and John. Caroline was born on 8 September 1821 in Wanlockhead. Don't have any other information before 1841 census. There was not any other records before 1841. I don't have much information on Ann Sarah other than she was born in Kent. Cannot find any trace of when she died etc.

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: Williamson - Reid -
My grandmother told me a story that her gg grandfather had run away to sea when he was 12. I always thought that the grandfather was Wiiiiam Reids father Robert but I am beginning to think he was a Williamson. Which would have meant that if their mother had died the kids would be alone till he got back. I also think that the John Williamson might have been the grandfather. Which fits that the oldest son that we know of was named John. It would also explain how a girl from Kent could make it to Wanlockhead.

It is all suppositions at this point with no facts.

In the 1880 US Federal Census Caroline Williamson Reid was record as stating her mother was born in England but Harriet stated Scotland, who was right. It all goes back to the 1841 Scottish census; were they all siblings. I have no doubt that Caroline and Harriet were.
Or this could be an example of the clearences at work. with the parents driven off the croft and making for the mines for work and having the kids there but not really being from there? More guessing.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 12:54PM GMT
Hi,

You probably already have this from Family Search...
Ann Sarah Hobdey marriage: 11 Dec 1815
Saint Cuthberts,Edinburgh,Midlothian,Scotland
spouse:John Williamson

Ann Sarah Hobday christening: 26 Mar 1783
Parish Church of Deal, Kent, England
residence: Deal, Kent, England
parents:Thomas Hobday, Mary

Siblings:Parish Church of Deal, Kent, England
Elizabeth Hobday christening: 05 Jan 1776
Ann Hobday christening: 28 Nov 1779
Sarah Hobday christening: 08 Feb 1782
Thomas Hobday christening: 12 Aug 1785
Sarah Hobday christening: 24 Aug 1786
Stephen Hobday christening: 07 Nov 1788

Cheers,
Lesley

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: Williamson, Reid
The John Williamson was an overseer in the mines at Wanlockhead so I don't think he was the one that went to sea. Robert Reid was a Lead Miner. It says on the proclamation of marriage that she was born in Kent.
The children were Caroline, Harriet, Mary Ann (my gg grandmother) Margaret (married in 1841 and went to Austrlia with her husband), Elizabeth married ad lived in Edinburgh and John (Cannot find any trace of him. Have a list of deaths of John Williamson that I am going to look up when I go to Scotlands People.

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 5:06PM GMT
Yes thanks I have this information.. The marriage in December 1815 did not take place. It was refused by the church.

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 1:19PM GMT
Hello
What were Margaret and Elizabeth's married names?
Thanks

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 4:38PM GMT
Margaret was married twice her first husband was Thomas Low (e) but he died in South Africa and she came back to Scotland and met her second husband James McQueen and the emigrated to Australia

Elizabeths husband was Thomas Thomson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic