Search for content in message boards

Henry Finn of Salem, Wahington Co., New York in 1789

Henry Finn of Salem, Wahington Co., New York in 1789

Ed Mason (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2003 5:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Finn, Thomas, Boomer, Barber
A Henry Finn shows up in a property record as owning land in Salem near a John Williams who sold to David Thomas on 12/25/1789. Another Henry Finn, probably his son, appears in an 1845 petition to the Surrogate Court in Jefferson County, reading as follows: Surrogate's Court, Box F-11 Finn
Estate of Henry Finn. Petition of Anne (Anna?) Thomas of the town of Henderson, July 1845. "The deceased was an enlisted soldier of the last war; died in the town of Canandaigua, in the county of Ontario, sometime during the years 1815 or 1816 without leaving any last will ......and there be left him surviving as his heirs at law and next of kin, the following named persons- George Finn of the town of Ellisburgh, Harriet Boomer, wife of Collins Boomer, and this deponent of the same place, William R. Finn of the town of Greene in the County of Chenango, Agnes Barber, wife of Benjamin Barber of the town of Symrna in the county of Chenango, ----and deponent further saith that Henry Finn, deceased, was boen in the town of Salem, Washington Co., N.Y.. on the 4th of Sept., 1786, and entered as a private in the U.S. army sometime during the year 1814, into a regiment of Artillery and --- (word blurred) to company of ad regiment of which one ---- Romeyne was the captain. (signed) Anne (or Anna) Thomas
Sworn to 14 day of July, 1845 before N. Wardwell, Surrogate.

There was also a William Finn in the county in the late 1700's. I am trying to determine the origins on Henry and William.

Re: Henry Finn of Salem, Wahington Co., New York in 1789

maryann (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2003 2:14PM GMT
Surnames: Finn/Fenn/Babcock
Looking for the Finn/Fenn family living near Ft. Edward, Washington county, NY. Sarah/Sally Finn/Fenn married a Babcock (Phineas). The Finn/Fenn family were said to be a wealthy family according to a Madison County, NY source. A William Finn owned a large piece of property next to the Old Fort in Ft. Edward and was one of the business men who formed a company to build an aqueduct to bring water into the village in1800.

Ed Mason (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2003 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: Finn, Fenn
Thank you for the information on William Finn/Fenn. Can I assume that you do not have any data on Henry Finn/Fenn who was in Salem in 1789? He is the one I am looking for and I don't know if he had any connection to William Finn/Fenn of Fort Edward.

Posted: 27 Dec 2006 3:05AM GMT
Surnames: Finn
Hello, my name is Richard Finn. Henry may be my gggg grandfather. From what has been determined Henry was living in Sherburne, Chenango Co, NY in 1800. One of his sons was George Finn who eventually settled in
Ellisburg(h), Jefferson Co, NY. Next was Edwin R. Finn of Ellisburg and Woodville, NY who went to CA during the Gold Rush and dying there in 1857. His 1st son, George Amos Finn, traveled quite a bit (IL, the Dakotas) but ended up back in Woodville dying there in 1912. His only son, William DeEstine Finn, had moved to LaFox, IL and had his father buried there and moved his mother there. My father Walton Chaffee Finn was born in LaFox, but Wm. eventually moved the family to Santa Ana, CA. My father attended the U of WI where met my mother. After completing med sch. he practiced for several years in Fond du Lac, WI where I was born, but eventually moved to Tucson, AZ, for the remainder of his life. I myself now live in NC.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic