Search for content in message boards

Sparta Van Curtis, Van Curtis, Sparta Van Buren Curtis

Sparta Van Curtis, Van Curtis, Sparta Van Buren Curtis

Sarah Cooper (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2002 2:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cooper, Turnbull, Ferguson
I've reached a dead-end on finding the parents/family of this man. The family legend is that he was the only surviving member of a wagon-train headed to AR in 1834-35. He survived only because he was under the body of his deceased Mother. Papers found at the scene confirmed the family name to be Curtis; however, this child born 8/13/1833 was too young to speak clearly to the Federal Soldiers that found him to tell them his name. The closest they could come was "Van". He was taken to the fort and stayed there until he was taken in by the family of one Benny Holmes until age 14. HOWEVER, other info states this man was married to Margarette Turnbull in TN, prior to 1853, came to Stoddard County, Mo, had 12 children, fought for the Confederacy, was released as an exchange prisoner from Alton, Il, moved to AR, then "married" Sabra Susan Ferguson, without any evidence of divorce from MT, had seven more children, died in what is now part of Baxter Co, AR, buried in the Curtis Cemetery. Does this person ring any bells with anyone?

Re: Sparta Van Curtis, Van Curtis, Sparta Van Buren Curtis

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: curtis
FINALLY A LINK! PVT SPARTA V CURTIS, CO T , 2 REGT, MO GUARDS, CONFEDERATE STATES ARMY, AUG 18, 1833 - MAR 5, 1912 is on headstone at Curtis Cemetary. He is my great great grandfather. Son Lewis Curtis m. Roxie Wooton, they had 9 children, he had 2 before. one of those children, Troy, was my grandfather.

I too, am at a dead end. Have lots of Curtis stuff but don't know if relative. Look forward to hearing from you!

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 11:51PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2004 1:23AM GMT
Sparta is my ggreatfather too. James Granville, them John Lewis. drop me a line Neta

Posted: 29 Jul 2002 2:00AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2003 3:01PM GMT
Thanks for responding so quickly! Do you have any info on Sparta - I'm sure you read the Sarah Cooper msg. Is it true? I'm just a newbe at this research, and can't get much from family. There is a Gary D. Treat who has done research and has a long line posted (from Sparta) If all is true he has many children spread out. I can't find any of my line linked anywhere. If you have any suggs would appreciate them. Also, any relatives that might link somewhere. How do James Granville, John Lewis come in? My ggrandmother m. a Lewis Curtis, "one" of Sparta's kids, but I can't find any history.

Posted: 26 Oct 2002 11:05PM GMT
Just finished a 1900 Census search:
Van. Curtis
b. 1837 (record shows Arkansas as bp)
Baxter County, AR Greenwood Twp.
Satru (my mom says he married Sabra) wife, b. 3/1870 Ark.
Missouri, son, b. 3/1882 Ark.
Nebraska, son, b. 1/1886, Ark.
Frona (?), dau., b. 1/1887, Ark
George, son, b. 6/1889, Ark
Kansas, dau., b. 3/1892, Ark
Mandy, dau., b. 5/1895, Ark
Massie, dau., b. 4/1900, Ark

No one alive that I know knows anything about him. His gravestone in Baxter Co. indicates his name is Sparta V. Curtis, b. 1833, d. 1912. Have you found anything more? How is Cooper related to Curtis?
Thank you.

Posted: 20 Nov 2002 6:26PM GMT
I belong to the second family: Although I can't find a marriage license for SV and Sabra Susan Ferguson, they apparently 'took up with' one another around 1880. While SV named all his kids after states, needless to say, they didn't keep these monikers all their lives. Uncle MO did, married Valeria Baker, had many children, at least one of which I know is still alive. Then there was Nebraska, Aunt Suzie who married Albert Krutsinger; Kansas who first thought of naming herself Dolphrenia, then decided on Maggie, thank heavens. She married a James Pyrtle, the an Aaker, lived in OK. There was Uncle George who never married, but was one heck of a nice guy, died as a hero in the OK oil fields; then there was Sabra Sophronia who changed her name to Jewel. She first married John Page, then a Fred Mason. Then there was poor little Macedonia:Dona as she was called, who was born last in 1900 and died in 1930. She has been described as never being "right", but obviously, after 21 children by two wives, the gene pool was terribly chlorinated. I come from the Sabra Sophronia line, the first marriage. She was my maternal grandmother; I just married this Cooper guy 36 years ago. If there is any other info you want, please let me know: also, do you know the complete line on the first family: Margarette Turnbull and SV Curtis? Being born and raised in MO all my life, I know I'm probably a bit cynical; but I think SV Curtis played fast and loose with the truth: I have heard that prior to the Civil War, he was known as Jackson Curtis from TN; came to MO in the Stoddard County area with Margarette as she was Chickasaw Indian and would have been moved out of the area on the Trail of Tears. For sure, I can't find anything that denotes SV Curtis prior to the Civil war, which makes me quite skeptical. Perhaps you can help.

Posted: 20 Nov 2002 6:30PM GMT
OOOPS!!! I forgot Alabama; Amanda Elizabeth Curtis. She married a Roscoe Morris first, had one child by him, another when he was away fighting WWI. They split up, she went to Nebraska to her Sister, Aunt Suzie, met and married a man named Frank Bulin. wow! That should be all of them.

Posted: 26 Nov 2002 2:33AM GMT
Dear Sarah, You have no idea how much I enjoyed your msg.! I hope you will continue to write to me when you have info. The following I rec'd from Edward Dawes. Hope it helps you, and I really wish I had something more to pass on to you, but you gave me more than I had!

1. SPARTA VAN BUREN CURTIS. Born on 18 Aug 1833 in TENNESSEE. SPARTA VAN BUREN died in CULP, ARKANSAS on 5 Mar 1912, he was 78. Buried in CURTIS CEMETERY, ARKANSAS.
SPARTA VAN BUREN first married MARGARETT TURNBULL. Born in 1836.
They had the following children:
i. JACKSON. Born in 1853 in TENNESSEE.
ii. CELIA JANE. Born in 1855 in TENNESSEE. CELIA JANE died in MORNING STAR SEARCY CO. ARKANSAS.
CELIA JANE married JOHN YOUNG.
iii. SAMUEL W.. Born in 1857.
SAMUEL W. married SARAH TREAT.
2 iv. JAMES GRANVILLE (1856-)
v. MARGARETT. Born in 1864 in MISSOURI.
MARGARETT married WILLIS COPELAND.
vi. MARY D.. Born in 1866.
MARY D. married JOHN WILLIAM TREAT.
vii. LOUIS. Born in 1870.
viii. SHERMAN. Born in Oct 1872 in MISSOURI.
SHERMAN married AMANDA MITCHELL.
ix. NELSON. Born in Apr 1874 in ARKANSAS.
NELSON married MARY ROSE.
x. THOMAS. Born in 1875 in ARKANSAS.
xi. HENDERSON. Born in 1879.
HENDERSON married ROENA WOODS.

Posted: 9 Dec 2002 10:09PM GMT
Hi, this is my family also. My great-grandmothers mother was Sadie Curtis. She married Bunyon Treece. My great - grandmothers name was Leon Treece (Horton). I have Sadie's father as Samuel W. Curtis who married Sarah Rachell Treat. And his father as Sparta Van Buren Curtis. But that's all I have on this part of the family. Would love any info you have. Thanks, Lynn Robbins

Posted: 7 Jan 2003 5:30AM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2003 2:24PM GMT
Surnames: Sartain, Ott, Young, Treat, Cotton, Curtis
I am a GGGrandaughter to Sparta Van Buren Curtis thru his
first family with Margaret Turnbull. My GGrandmother was
Celia Jane, who married John Young. I believe that Sarah
Rachell Treat was a sister to my Grandmother Margaret
Elizabeth Young <Celia's daughter> Treats husband. Gary
Treat is a cousin of mine, he has a lot of info on Sparta.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions