Search for content in message boards

Rare Last Name Help!

Rare Last Name Help!

Posted: 29 Dec 2013 4:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Krublit
I am looking for help figuring out the meaning or source of my last name (Krublit.) It is a very rare name it seems and no one in my family has any knowledge of what it's supposed to mean. I read a book about Jewish names by Benzion Kaganoff but it did not lead me anywhere. Anyone who could point me to any resources or people to help would be greatly appreciated!

Some background: My great-grandfather Moshe (Morris) Krublit came to the US from Sokriany, Ukraine in 1904. The name was spelled Krublit on his records coming into the US. The town is near the Dniester River just north of Moldova. There were a few other Krublits in some of the towns in the region.

Thank you!
Ross Krublit

Re: Rare Last Name Help!

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 12:12AM GMT
I see you have already entered this surname in the JewishGen Family Finder. Have you posted your question to the JewishGen mailing lists? There are many knowledgeable people who read those lists and may be able to help.

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: Krublit
Thanks for your quick response. I looked on JewishGen but nothing really stuck out to me as being relevant. What mailing lists do you think would be helpful?

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 2:25AM GMT
Maybe this will Help http://www.avotaynu.com/allbooks.htm
They have books for sale about Jewish surnames.

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 3:14AM GMT
You might want to try the main JewishGen Discussion Group, as well as some of the regional SIGs. Given the town's location, the Bessarabia and Romania SIGs might be helpful.

Posted: 31 Dec 2013 3:20AM GMT
Try this link from Beit Hafutsot-The Museum of the Jewish People.
I've used it before, with good results for origins of family names.
Brian

http://www.bh.org.il/database-about.aspx?database-familyname...

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions