Search for content in message boards

Nathan Smith and Mahulda Bodkins Smith

Nathan Smith and Mahulda Bodkins Smith

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 4:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jan 2007 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Bodkins, Simmon
I am trying to find the parents and grandparents of Nathan and Mahulda Bodkins Smith. Nathan Smith was born in 1822 and Mahulda Bodkins was born in 1827.

My husband's aunt (a great, great granddaughter of Nathan and Mahulda Smith) says Mahulda was Mahulda Bodkins. But in the censuses it gives the impression that Mahulda was a Simmons.

In the 1850 census, a Sarah Simmons lives with Nathan and Mahulda.
In the 1860 census, a Sallie Simmons lives Nathan and Mahulda.
In the 1870 census, a Sallie Bodkins lives with Josiah Bodkins family.
In the 1880 census, Sallie Simmons lives with Joseph Bodkins family and is listed as Mother/Boarder.

Could Sallie Simmons have been married twice?
Could Mahulda Smith and Joseph Bodkins be brother and sister? Joseph was born in 1834.

I will appreciate any information to help me find out about Nathan Smith and his wife Mahulda Bodkins Smith.

Re: Nathan Smith and Mahulda Bodkins Smith

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 9:49PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jan 2007 3:47PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Simmons, Botkin
Nathan Smith married Hulday Simmons on 5 January 1845, recorded in Pend Co Marriages 1800, page 46. Their bond was dated 1 January 1845 with bondsmen Nathan Smith and Daniel Smith. [Harter, Pendleton County Marriage Bonds 1791-1953, page 31.]

You did not mention Sarah's ages. The death record of Sarah Simmons, white female, died 1 December 1894, age 82, parents: "Hy. & Eliz. Wilfong," born Pendleton County, info given by Hannah Simmons, friend.

Joseph Bodkin married Margaret Simmons on 20 October 1839, PC Marriages 1800, p. 38. Their bondsmen were Joseph Botkin and Silas Simmons. Must be a different Joseph?

Hope something here helps.

Nedra

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 8:47PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2007 10:21PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, BODKINS, SIMMONS
Thank you for the information.

In the 1850 census, Sarah Simmons was 46 years old
1860 census, Sallie Simmons was 55 years old
1870 census, Sallie Bodkins was 73 years old
1880 census, Sallie Simmons was 80 years old

In the census, it appears Nathan Smith and Joseph Bodkins lived next to each other.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 7:18PM GMT
Edited: 22 Feb 2007 1:38PM GMT
Surnames: Hedrick, Varner, Simmons, Smith, Bodkin
Nathan Smith appears to have been raised by his grandparents John Smith and Mary Magdalena Simmons. His father was either Jacob, Henry or Daniel Smith sons of John & Mary Simmons Smith while his mother appears to have been a daughter of Michael Harold & Catherine Varner.

Mahulda Simmons was the daughter of Joseph Bodkin and Sarah Simmons who never married. Sarah 'Sally' Simmons was the daughter of Leonard Simmons and Catherine Smith. This Sarah died August 20, 1894 and her death was reported by her son-in-law, Nathan Smith as listed in the Pendleton County Grave Register II on page 76 item 22.

I find it interesting that Nathan & Mahulda, both born out of wedlock, were married for 61 years raised 11 children of their own while never leaving the Ruddle, WV area for long.

I descend from their oldest daughter Christina Smith who married William Perry Hedrick. Christina's younger sister Lucy married William's younger brother James Hedrick.

Nathan Smith, his oldest son George Washington Smith, William Perry Hedrick and his younger brother James Hedrick all fought for their home State of Virginia during the Civil War.

As for Joseph Bodkin, I believe he was a brother to Mahulda but he was referred to as Josiah Bodkin in the 1870, 1900 and 1910 census and I believe he was born Josiah Simmons. Only the 1880 census records him as Joseph Bodkin.

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 3:09AM GMT
Hi all. I am a descendent of Ambrose Smith, second oldest son of Nathan. He married Mary "Mollie" Bland and their youngest daughter, Mary Susan Smith, was my grandmother. She married Warren Marshall and they lived in Bridgeport, OH. Thanks for clearing up the Mahulda story for me. I had already figured that the Simmons name was carried over from her mother. Do you know if Mahulda and Nathan are buried in the Bodkin (Botkin) cemetery in WV? Thanks.

Kirk McHugh

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 3:18AM GMT
Dear Kirk, Do you know the ancestry of Mary "Mollie" Bland? Ruth Bland Barch

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 3:51PM GMT
Not that I know of, but I have several pages of detailed information from a great aunt that has lots of information on siblings that I was not directly interested in. Let me double check that tonight when I get home and I will let you know one way or the other.

Kirk

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 4:55PM GMT
Hi,
My husband is the grandson of Fred A. Smith, son of Ambrose and Mary Bland Smith.
Nathan and Mulhulda Smith are buried in Pendleton County. I will have to check my notes to see if I have a cemetery name. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 4:58PM GMT
Mary Bland is the daughter of Enoch Bland and Mary Ann Harper.
Enoch Bland is the son of Thomas Bland and Rachel Shoulders.

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 5:16PM GMT
Kirk & Bonnie,
My information shows that Nathan & Mahulda are both buried in the Bodkin Cemetery located about 8 miles from Ruddle, Pendleton County, WV on Co. Rt. 8. In 1977 the owner of the property was Floyd Waggy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions