Search for content in message boards

Wright, James Alford (or Alfred) originally of Virginia

Wright, James Alford (or Alfred) originally of Virginia

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 8:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright, Dawson, Scoggins
Seeking information on James Alford Wright and his wife Frances Dawson. JAW was born about 1762 in Virginia and died in Satartia, Yazoo County, Mississippi in 1838. He was the son of Robert Wright and his wife Margaret of Nelson Co., Virginia. Information I have indicate James served in the Revolutionary war but there are multiple records of a James Wright so I have not been able to establish service. James and wife went to Savannah, Georgia after the war where they owned a bookstore. That is where their son Robert Dawson Wright was born (my gggranddad). The book store was sold and James and wife moved to Mississippi. Frances Dawson Wright died in 1802 and is buried in MS. James next married Mary "Polly" Scoggins, widow of John Carroll.

I am seeking documentation of any kind; have nothing documenting any information handed down and around by family.

Family info says James was a merchant, blacksmith, craftsman. There are stories that he forged great knives.

James and Frances had three children: Robert Dawson Wright born June 12, 1796 in Savanna (Savannah), Chatham County, Georgia; Nancy C. Wright was born Nov 11, 1798 in Savannah, GA; then Henry Denson Wright born May 3, 1800. James Wright sold his bookstore in 1800. By 1802 James and Frances Wright with their young children moved to Pine Ridge, Mississippi where he had a land grant. They settled there about 12 miles from Natchez.

James Wright's children were mostly grown by 1836 when he received news that youngest son Henry Denson Wright was very ill in Benton, Yazoo County, MS where he lived. James and wife and at least a daughter rushed to Mississippi to see Henry Wright who died Dec 21, 1836. James and Mary (Scoggins) [Carroll] Wright remained in Satartia, Yazoo County, Mississppi where he died in 1838, burial unknown.

James Wright sold his properties in Georgia in 1800, and probably made a return trip to Amherst County, Virginia for a short stay and visit with his parents, Robert and Margaret Wright before his move to Mississippi, because in the 1800 Amherst County Personal Property Tax List, there is a listing for '' James Wright ( Son of Robert Wright )".

Any information appreciated. Some were generous in sharing information in about 2004 but my kidneys failed and I went through some very hard health times for several years before receiving the gift of life - a transplant. I am now trying to regain research lost during that time.

Re: Wright, James Alford (or Alfred) originally of Virginia

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 8:35AM GMT
Surnames: Wrght, Dawson, Scoggins
I failed to leave contact information. Please contact me at DLC5559@att.net.

Dorthy Kilgore Casten
Daughter of Norma Lucile Wright Kilgore
Granddaughter of Issac Marvin Wright
GGranddaughter of Issac Edward Wright (also known as Isaac Alexander Talley Wright)
GGGranddaughter of Robert Dawson Wright
GGGGranddaughter of James Alford (or Alfred) Wright

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
Dorothy,

We exchanged information on this Wright line in 2004. I am sorry to hear you have been ill and are having to recreate your research and records.

My records list your James Alford Wright as 1838 (year of death) James Wright of Adams County, Mississippi, and that he was the son of 1816 Robert Wright of Nelson County, VA, and Margaret (_____) Wright and grandson of William Wright (Amherst County, VA) and Esther (_____) Wright.

The information that has been found on 1838 James Wright of Adams County, MS, has been written up in Sorting Some Of The Wrights Of Southern Virginia, Part VIII: William Wright (Amherst County, VA). That work is now available online at:

https://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermai...

If I can be of further help, please contact me.

Best wishes,

Robert N. Grant
15 Campo Bello Court
Menlo Park, CA 94025
RNGrant@grantandgordon.com

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 12:19AM GMT
It is very generous of you to share this publication.

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Dawson, Henderson, Dickerson
Thank you, Robert. I'm not actually recreating, but just now able to get back to it. I have scads of information and documentation, thanks to people like you, Leo Wright, and my own research for the family since James, but it seems the information for this family is only "guessing" prior to James. I just keep hoping that with modern technology something will come on line to confirm the family prior to James Wright as well as his military service. I was able to join DAR via my paternal line but it would be really nice to file a supplement to connect James A. Wright.

I'm also trying to flush out information on my various grandmothers (greats, great greats, etc.). Seem such a shame for them to be lost in the shuffle.

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 3:31AM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
Dorothy,

I am not sure what you meant by the information before James seems only to be guessing. I think there is pretty good documentation that he was a son of 1816 (year of death) Robert Wright of Nelson County, VA, (place of death).

The 1800 Personal Property Tax List for Amherst County, Virginia, listed James Wright (Son of Robt) with one tithe.

There are a number of documents and the 1810 Census placing James Wright in Catahoula Parish, Louisiana.

Then on January 10, 1818, at Nelson County, Virginia, D.B. 3/142 James Wright of Catahoula Parish, Louisiana, appointed his son Robert Wright to act for him in connection with his interest as an heir in the estate of his father Robert Wright of Nelson County:

"Before me Thomas C. Scott Parish Judge in and for the parish of Rapido and Exd Offices notary Public came James Wright of the Parish of Catahoula who declared that for divers good causes and considerations he hath nominated constituted and appointed and by these presents doth nominate constitute and appoint his son Robert Wright also of the parish of Catahaula his true and Lawful attorney for him in his name and behalf with power have demand sue for and recover any and every thing which may be due owing or coming to him whether in money or property as one of the Heirs of the Estate of his late father Robert Wright of Nelson County and State of Virginia into whose several hands it my befrund(?) and to make and execute proper receipts and acquittances for the same with power to do whatever may appear conducive to his interest in all affairs in which he may be concerned in the said State of Virginia to accept or reject successions to acknowledge debt, to compromise & refer to arbitrators, to make transactions in matters of litigation to sue for restitution in integrum with regard to an act, to alienate moveable & unmovable property to appoint a substitute or substitutes. And he the said James doth hereby ratify and confirm whatever his said attorney may Lawfully do or cause to be done in the premises as fully and intirely as tho he were personally present. In testamony whereof the said James Wright hath hereto subscribed his name at the Town of Alexandra in the Parish afored this twenty fifth day of August one thousand Eight hundred and eighteen.

Teste James Wright
Robert C. Scott
Benja Wills

Done before me Thos C Scott Par Judge and Not Pub.

State of Louisiana Parish of Rapide. I certify the fregoing power of Attorney was signed and acknowledged by the above named James Wright in my presence and in persuance of the subscribing witness on the day of the date thereof. Given under my hand and seal of office as Parish Judge and Exc Officio Notary Publick in and for the parish aforesaid this twenty fifth day of August one thousand Eight hundred and eighteen

Thos C. Scott Par Judge
and Not Pub

Nelson County Clerks Office December the 1st 1818 This Power of Attorney was produced into said Office duly certified from the state of Louisiana Parish of Rapide to have been there ackd by James Wright a party thereto and ordered to be recorded

Teste
Spott Garland Clk"

This power of attorney is similar to others filed on behalf of the children of 1816 Robert Wright of Nelson County, VA, as part of the administration of his estate and clearly identifies James Wright as a son of 1816 Robert Wright.

Hope this is of help to you, but please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this information further.

Robert N. Grant
RNGrant@grantandgordon.com

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 2:13PM GMT
Surnames: Wright
Have you done any DNA testing on yourself or a male in the Wright line? My GGGGrandfather was James Wright of Laurens Co Georgia. I believe he was originally from Virginia. My James married Gillie Burch in Laurens Co Georgia and passed sometime between 1840 and 1850. We did do a DNA test on my father, so would have something to compare if you had a male to test DNA.

I'm happy to share any information. my email is tinalsikes@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions