Search for content in message boards

scandinavian (Carlstrom)

scandinavian (Carlstrom)

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 3:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carlstrom, Hale
Is there anybody who understands the Swedish naming system? I am trying to find my great-grandparents who immigrated here from Sweden in the 1880's and feel like I am going in circles.

I am searching for
Dan(iel) Carlstrom 1860-1943, who was married to Thekla Christina Eriksson Larsdotter Larsson abt 1859-1900. Immigration records show them arriving from Gustaf's Dalarna. They married between 1882 and 1884 in Sweden. One daughter Lydia was born in Sweden between 1882 and 1884.

Daniel came to Minneapolis by himself and Thekla and Lydia arrived about 2 years later.

I believe Thekla's parents names are Lars Jansson and Sara Lisa Ersdotter.

My grandpa Dan Carlstrom (1898)married Doris Louise Hale from Polk County.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: scandinavian (Carlstrom)

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 11:40AM GMT
Hi, Did you try Google for the naming patterns.
This might help a little.

Thekla Christine was born 23 Sep 1859, Gustafs,Kopparberg, Sweden; christened 24 Sep 1859, Gustafs, Kopparberg, Sweden; parents are listed as Lars Jansson and Sara Lisa Ersdotter Baska (Boska). Thekla married 24 July 1881, Gustafs, Kopparberg, Sweden Daniel Karlstrom.

Lydia was born 7 Sep 1882, Gustafs, Kopparberg, Sweden.

Kopparberg is now known as Darlarna.

Any more help?

Margie

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 2:35AM GMT
You said Polk County, are you sure it's Polk County, Wisconsin, not Polk County, Minnesota?

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 3:21PM GMT
Hello--
Thank you very much, it was like an early Christmas present. I did some reading on Google about the naming patterns but still had difficulty figuring it out, but think I might have a general idea. It confuses me because sometimes she would be Thekla Christine Jansson and other times Thekla Christine Larsson/dotter/dottir. I think that when they are born its one name and when they get married it then changes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So if her parents are Lars Jansson and Sara Lisa Ersdotter Baska what would her uncle's and brother's names be. I ask because Daniel immigrated here first, followed by Thekla and Lydia. Would Thekla and Lydia of immigrated by themselves of would another male member of her family of traveled with them?

I have absolutely no information about Daniel other than that he was supposedly the gardener for Thekla's family in Sweden, and then they fell in love. A relationship that her family didn't approve of. Thekla was buried in Minneapolis, in 1899 shortly after the birth of my Grandpa Dan.

Did your information say anything about Daniel's parents? Having those names would complete my fifth generation of my family tree, which looks like a big hole.

I don't know how to appropriately thank you, but I will say that your message made my heart rate speed up--in a good way.

Shannon

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 4:52PM GMT
Hello--
Yes, it's Polk County, Wisconsin. My grandfather was born in Minneapolis the sixth child of Thekla and Dan/iel Carlstrom. Thekla died shortly after his birth. Daniel Sr. remarried and moved to Montana, leaving Daniel Jr. to be raised by his older sister Ester Gustafson. In 1936 he married my grandmother Doris Louise Hale Burdette in Polk County, Wisconsin. My mother was born in 1942, in St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin.

I have wondered before if Daniel Sr. has/had relatives in Minnesota where he immigrated. An ship passenger list that I think had him on it showed another Carlstrom with him. I can't locate it anymore, but if my recollection is correct it just used first initials, so I am uncertain if it is him.

Daniel Carlstrom Sr. resided in Montana where he resided for the rest of his life.

Thank you!
Shannon

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 8:56PM GMT
Shannon, I live in Turtle Lake, WI which is not too far from Balsalm Lake. Balsalm Lake is the county seat for Polk County. Will try to get over there either on Friday or next week. Depending on the weather. Will try to find more information on Daniel for you.
Margie
fordfarm@centurytel.net
715-986-2221
per page

Find a board about a specific topic