Search for content in message boards

BOBENRIETH in Durham

BOBENRIETH in Durham

Dave Bobenrieth (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BOBENRIETH
I have just been given a name and address for someone that lived in Durham maybe twenty years ago. The address came from a friend in France and may not be entirely correct. I was given two different city's and two different streets but not in the correct order so I don't know which one goes with which town. Any help with this will be appreciated.

Marie Joelle Bobenrieth
Apt 15 Hillmont
Apt 124 Fidelity Street
Carrboro, NC 27510 USA
Durham, NC 277** USA

Re: BOBENRIETH in Durham

Posted: 11 Dec 2004 7:32PM GMT
Surnames: Coupe Bobenrieth
I don't know any Bobenrieths in Durham, however I am searching for a Marie Marthe Bobenrieth born 1864 in France. She married John Armstrong in London England. I am trying to locate the birthplace of Bobenreith.

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 3:55PM GMT
I am researching Marie Martha Bobenrieth's husband John Armstrong. I believe he was born in Edinburgh in 1857 and moved to London before their marriage in 1889. I am assuming he was the architect John Armstrong, but later became a Civil Engineer.

Steven

Posted: 5 Sep 2010 2:41AM GMT
Steven - this would be my great grandfather. He was born in Edinburgh and his wife Marie Marthe was born in Lyon, France. John moved to London mid 1880's I believe. If you wish more information I can certainly give you more. I have posted information on ancestry and hope to scan some documents into ancestry.

Posted: 6 Sep 2010 6:35PM GMT
Would be happy to have more info - did you provide the notes for the DSA (Dictionary of Scottish architects)?
I am interested in Armstrong's architectural career - I believe he designed his own house in London - do you have an address for it ?

Best wishes

steven

Posted: 7 Sep 2010 5:17AM GMT
Surnames: Bobenrieth, Armstrong
I did give them the information. I had emailed them to see what information they could provide me and indicated that I thought the person they had on their site was my great grandfather. They put it in their site and I am still trying to verify that he was the person they referred to as being a scottish architect. He lived in Ealing in Middlesex in Acton and Ealing from 1889 onward. His address in Ealing was 25 Montpelier Rd. The 1901 Census has his occupation as Civil Engineer. The name of the house was Eden Hall and one of the occupants I spoke to 3 years ago indicated that the nameplate existed somewhere on the property. I had hoped to go back to the Ealing library to get some information on the residence and to see if there were records in their archives on whether John designed it. He did design the improvements to the house he retired to in Hyeres France according to his cousin Doreen. I met her on a trip to Britain a couple of years ago. Unfortunately she is now suffering from Alzheimers.

How is it that you are interested in John other than being a Bobenrieth? John had a brother George and a sister Helen. His father was James Armstrong and his mother Helen Armstrong place of birth unknown but likely Scotland. As for Marie Marthe Bobenrieth her mother remarried twice after the death of Marie's father. Marie apparently was sent to Austria to study and then off to London to improve her English. She was companion to the wife of a silk-lamp shade maker. John was a quaker and Marie Marthe was catholic. The children, my grandfather John James and his brother Ronald George were schooled at Bootham Quaker School. Marie was well educatged and had a group of women who would father at the home on Mt. Pellier and discuss a wide variety of topics. John was on the peace committee at the Longwood Quaker Meeting.

I will try to add more information onto John's profile on ancestry soon.

Posted: 7 Sep 2010 5:47AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 6 Mar 2014 6:19AM GMT

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 7:08PM GMT
Bernadette
I am interested in the buildings John designed in Edinburgh and whether he continued with his architectural career in London. I had thought that he had changed to Civil engineering, judging by the census entries. The Institute of Civil Engineers may have some further info,
regards
steven

Posted: 26 Oct 2011 10:09PM GMT
It's been awhile since anyone has posted here... I'm trying to figure out who this Marie Marthe Bobenrieth is. I have a large directory of Bobenrieth names but none fit your date and place of birth. There aren't any Bobenrieth's born in the Lyon area. Most of the family comes from the Alsace area. Maybe she moved from here to Lyon. You listed 1864 as a birth date, do you know her parents?

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 4:27AM GMT
Surnames: Bobenrieth, Armstrong
Dave - Marie Marthe was born in Lyon to Marie Anne Lemble born in Roderen 4, 9, 1832 and Francois Josephe Bobenrieth born in Thann 31,1, 1835. Marie was the 3rd child. Joseph Victor born 4, 8, 1857 in Oullins, Pierre Paul born 2,2,1860 in Oullins. Marie was born in Lyon arrondissement 3. Her brother Eugene Louis was also born in Lyon 3 9,7, 1871 and moved in early 1890 to South America. The family in Chile is part of this family. The Lyon, Oullins records are on-line in the Lyon archives without a fee.

I found alot of information on Marie Marthe once I found my cousins in England and France they advised that Marie Marthe died in 1955 in Hyeres, France. She was married to y great-grandfather John Armstrong, a civil engineer, and they left London in 1933 and moved to Hyeres. I visited their villa with my cousin who is fluent in french and we were able to view the villa Lénsoulleilado. It is listed on the internet in the countries cultural website due to the age of the home, the plantings and the features of the home. John built the additions and there are beautiful stained glass windows in the oak study. I was able to photograph the documents pertaining to the sale and visited the archives to obtain documents on their residence and found Marie Marthe on the voters list. MM's father died in 1871 and the mother re-married 2 more times. One of the brothers Joseph Victor died in 1862 in Oullins. Pierre Paul married 3 times also. If you would like their information I can certainly provide that to you. I received pictures from the relatives in Santiago of Eugene Louis and also have a photo of MM. Jean-Marie and I visited and I provided him with information and I have more to give to him. I have not been able to keep up with my work schedule and family history but hope now that the weather is changing and I don't have the good weather to spend in the yard or the outdoors I hope to compile everything for Jean Marie. I still have to follow-up with a few things in France to add to MM's history. She was cremated - no burial in Hyeres but I need to write to France for them to check the records. It takes a bit of effort as I either have to get my cousin to translate or I have to use translator and spruce up the grammar to ask the questions of the archive in Hyeres. I am also trying to get more documents from the legal firm in Hyeres that handled the house sale. MM was well educated and had been sent to Austria to study and take care of a child. She moved to Middlesex England and married my great grandfather in 1890 after which they moved to Acton and then Ealing, England - a 20 minute train ride from London. I have the marriage information from the Quaker meeting house in London - John was Quaker - MM was not. The family referred to her as MM. Very pretty when young. Let me know if you wish any more information and thank you for enquiring again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions