Search for content in message boards

Translation of names

Translation of names

Posted: 23 Jan 2014 10:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to translate some names and could use some help, please. I have a passenger list which I believe is the family I am looking for. The american names are Eli (Ely) Berger, his wife Sarah and four children, whise names are Esther, Abraham Samuel, Tillie and Alice. The names on the passenger list that I located are Elfe Berger,Sarah, Feige, Taube, Schumel and Ester. I have been able to put Elfe to Eli and of course, Sarah matches as well as Ester and Schumel with Samuel but, Feige and Taube. Can either of these names be Tillie and Alice. Any help, I would be very grateful. Thank you, Terry Greene

Re: Translation of names

Posted: 24 Jan 2014 11:54AM GMT
You can't count on absolute "translations", but it's likely that Taube is Tillie (as people often adopted an American name with the same first letter). That leaves Feige as Alice (not a translation at all, but perhaps she or her parents liked the name).

Posted: 25 Jan 2014 8:48PM GMT
Thank you so much.

Posted: 26 Jan 2014 8:04PM GMT
faige could be fanny .....go by surname in searching. faige will be on ;headstone.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions