Search for content in message boards

Sampson obit

Sampson obit

Tracy Reinhardt (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2004 10:32PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Sampson obit
Sampson - James Dewain Sampson, age 58 years, died Tuesday afternoon at 4:20 o'clock at the family residence, 336 North Brooke street. The deceased is survived by his wife, six daughters, Mrs. Max Anters and Mrs. H Foster, Chicago; Mrs. Arthur Methfessel, Milwaukee and the Misses Irene, Margaret and Florence of this city. Seven sons, Amery, Charles, Richard, George, Fred, Clifford and James all of this city. Two sisters, Mrs. J. Fowler, Brotherton, and Mrs. L. Foshay this city, one brother Albert and two grandchildren.
The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the residence and interment will take place in Estabrooks cemetery.
The Daily Commonwealth, Fond du Lac WI
Wednesday, Sept 20, 1916, page 16.

Re: Sampson obit

Posted: 5 Jan 2004 9:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Dec 2005 6:58PM GMT
[Fond du Lac County marriage record v11 p381:] Lena A Krumbein and Jas. D. Sampson, 24 May 1895. [Estabrooks Cemetery inscriptions book 1990:] Sec 3B row 4; "Sampson, James D. 1853-1916".

Can someone provide the given names of the daughters who are listed in his obituary?

For her: [Fond du Lac County death record v32 p282]

[Obit in Fond du Lac Commonwealth Reporter, Thursday 10 Jun 1954 p22:] Died 3 PM Wed "at the Schroud Convalescent Nursing home after a lingering illness." Survived by 4 daughters—Mrs. Hannah Foster of Chicago, Mrs. Willis Ottery and Mrs. Maurice Hoey of Fond du Lac, Mrs. Harold Van Acker of Milwaukee; 5 sons—Richard, George, Fred, Clifford, and James, all of Fond du Lac; 32 grandchildren; 36 great-grandchildren; stepdaughter Mrs. Max Autem of Chicago; stepson Charles Sampson of Brotherton. Preceded by son "Irving" [sic, should be "Erving"].

[Estabrooks Cemetery inscriptions book 1990:] Sec 3B row 4, between two "James D. Sampson"s; "Sampson, Lena M., His wife 1874-1954" (but this might be a different Lena Sampson).

Tracy Reinhardt (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2004 10:13PM GMT
Surnames: Sampson
Mrs Willis Ottery was Irene Sampson; Mrs. Hoey was called 'Midge' which does not fit with the daughters first names.
Her daughters first names, according to the 1910 census, are Irene, Margaret and possibly Maud.
Clifford Sampson is my uncle.

Maureen Kaiser (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2004 2:36AM GMT
Florence Hoey was my mother, went by the name of Midge to her friends and family. She was born September 9, 1912 and died, October 20, 2003.
Hannah is really Maud and she was married to Harold Foster.

tracy reinhardt (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2004 7:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Sampson, Krumbein
This is a post script, to the James Dwain Sampson obituary.
James Sampson's wife (not named in the obit) was Lena Krumbein, and Lena worked for the Bonita Candy Co. in Fond du Lac.
The famous 'Leaping Lena' candy bars made at the Bonita starting in about 1932, were named after Lena Krumbein Sampson, who worked in the department that made the Leaping Lena.

Deb (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2005 11:14PM GMT
Surnames: Keeville, Keevill, Sampson, Fowler, Roshay
Just wondernig if this is your James Sampson:
James D SAMPSON born 4 Jun 1858 father Clark David SAMPSON mother Elizabeth KEEVILLE married 1878 to Amy Selena FOWLER James died 19 Sep 1916.

I am off the Elizabeth Keeville side. There were a couple of siblings also. An E J. Keeville(1821-1884) married a Rose Sampson-Rosay and started a baptist church in Allensville, Winnebago County. He is buried there, but not sure if she is I don't have anythingon her but her name.
email me at ggmdam@tds.net T

Deb (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2005 11:23PM GMT
Found a second marriage, this must be yours:

James D SAMPSON born 4 Jun 1858 to Clark David SAMPSON & Elizabeth KEEVILLE
married 21 May 1895 to Carolina M KRUMBEIN
James died 19 Sep 1916

Re: Keevill family(ies)

Sue Ellen (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2006 5:06AM GMT
Surnames: Keevill, Sampson
Deb, Hi -

This is in reference to your 24 Jan 2005 comments regarding Elizabeth Keeville and her brother, E.J. Keeville.

I'm researching Civil War veterans of the 28th WI Inf, Co "K" whom enlisted in Waukesha County, WI. One of these soldiers, Edward J. Keevill, Jr. enlisted as a corporal in the 28th Wisconsin Regiment Infantry, Company "K", in New Berlin on 17 Aug 1862 and was mustered out at Brownsville, TX, 23 Aug 1865. He's been hard to trace beyond his muster out date, but I do know by looking back at earlier censuses, that he was the son of Edward J. Keevill, Sr.

I'm wondering if the EJ Keeville mentioned in your post is the same Edward J. Kievil, [Sr.] whom resided in New Berlin, Waukesha Co, WI, in 1860. According to the 1860 Federal Census, members of the Kievel household were:

E.J. Kievel, age 40, a clergyman of the Free Will Baptist Church, born Isle of Guernsey, England
Rosa T., age 41, born Isle of Guernsey, England
E.J. (male) age 17, student, born Isle of Guernsey, England
Elizabeth M., age 13, born Isle of Guernsey, England
Roswell R. age 4, born WI
Lucy M., born WI

The 1850 Federal Census for Eldorado, Fond du Lac, Co, WI, lists the Edward "Johncever" family (dwelling house #993), to wit:

Edward Johncever [Edward John Keevill?], age 30, farmer, born England
Lucy T. age 31 born England
Edward Jr. age 8 born England attending school
Elizabeth age 4 born in WI
Maria Keivill age 1 born in WI

Immediately next door, in dwelling house #994, residing with the Morris S. Barnum family, were:

Elizabeth Keivil age 22 born England
Thomas Keivil age 16 born England laborer
William Keivil age 13 born England

Would the above Elizabeth Keivil (age 22) be the Elizabeth Keeville that you are researching? It's possible that Elizabeth, Thomas and William Keivil in dwelling # 994 had a kinship connection to their neighbors in dwelling #993. Further, there may be a church-related connection between the two households, as a previous generation of Barnums were members of the early Freewill Baptist Church in Eldorado.

One of the leading genealogical servers on the web shows the following listing regarding Elizabeth Keeville:

Name: Elizabeth KEEVILLE
Birth: 2 AUG 1830 in Isle of Guernsey, Channel Islands, England
Death: 6 AUG 1901 in Fond Du Lac, WI
Spouse: Clark David Sampson b: 1819 in Brothertown, Oneida, NY
Married: 4 OCT 1857 in Calumet, WI
Children:
Emily Amelia Sampson b. 12 Aug 1854 Brothertown, Calumet, WI
James Duane Sampson b. 4 June 1858 Brothertown, Calumet, WI
Albert Clark Sampson b. 9 Apr 1863 Brothertown, Calumet, WI
Rose Sampson b. 10 Sep 1864 Brothertown, Calumet, WI

Any info that you might be willing to share regarding the Keevill family(ies) would be most appreciated.

I am particularly interested in EJ Keeville (1821-1884), the Baptist clergyman from Allensville, Winnebago Co, WI, that you mentioned in your post. For instance, what church did he establish and when? Where is he buried? The Edward J Keevill, Sr. of my research appears to have been a very devout Freewill Baptist who went from place to place to establish new congregations. I found another listing for Edward J. Keevill, a clergyman, in the 1870 Federal Census for Waverly Twp, Van Buren Co, MI. So far, I haven't found him in the 1880 Census.

Am also very interested in any info you might have regarding Edward J. Keevill, Jr. (b. ca. 1833, Guernsey, England). I don't know where he went after he left the Union Army in 1865. Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate his whereabouts in the 1890 Veterans Schedule. The 1870 & 1880 Federal Censuses for Greenleaf Twp, Sanilac Co, MI, list a Edward Kivell household, but I'm not certain that this data matches the subject(s) of my research.

Sue Ellen

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 7:54PM GMT
His Sue

I don't have much more than what you sent me, I have to dig my stuff and will send you what I have. Direct email: ggmdam@tds.net

Deb

Posted: 5 Jul 2010 12:16AM GMT
Surnames: Keeville
Hi Sue Ellen

I'm sorry I never got back to you on the Keeville's, life just got too busy. Pulled the folder out recently and found your email. Please email me if you found William or if you still need information. debmiller@valleyscreenprint.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions