Search for content in message boards

Blum or Bloom from Lithuania (Russia) to Cleveland

Blum or Bloom from Lithuania (Russia) to Cleveland

Posted: 26 Feb 2014 6:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BLUM BLOOM BERGER ROTENBURG
My Great-Grandfather, Louis Bloom (Eleizer bar Yehuda Leib), his siblings Harry and Rose, and his father who went by Levin or Lev Blum all immigrated to Cleveland around 1895. They came from Russia. I believe they were from Lithuania, likely Kanaus or a smaller town in that district. I'd like to learn more of their history and their ancestors. I'd also like to hear about their descendants. I know all of Louis' descendants, but have nothing on the extended family.
Also, the Rotenburgs and Bergers married into this family. I can't find much about them. Do you know them?

Re: Blum or Bloom from Lithuania (Russia) to Cleveland

Posted: 2 Mar 2014 8:56PM GMT
near the end of 1700's and early 1800's jewish people were required to have surnames. not so before that so it will be difficult to find out specifics unelss family members remember.
You may wish to read a history book for what was happening at that time like the pogroms.
which is mostly why the emigrated at that time. perhaps upper class if they could afford to do so?
My own paternal gmother left kaunaus in 1906 -a bas kohane.

asking in general about 2 surnames without specifics is like asking if you know any smiths.
There are also rotenbergs who may be related .
you may wish to use jewishgen.org /census records/vital records etc.

Are these extended family really related or "machatunim"?

Maybe family are interrred at same cemetery and you can get dates for obit lookups.
plse post addenda if possible

Re: Blum or Bloom from Lithuania (Russia) to Cleveland family tree

Posted: 3 Mar 2014 7:16PM GMT
found your family tree online . seems like you have done a great job. plus sourcing.
not sure what you would need at this point.

Posted: 3 Mar 2014 9:07PM GMT
Are you looking for info on Harry?? since you live where he passed away i would think you would know about him and rosy. did you write obit?1964?

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 4:18PM GMT
Thanks for your responses.

This post is mainly a shot in the dark, aimed at any distant relative or someone who might be familar with Jewish Cleveland in the early 20th Centruy.
I'm not certain about the death info for Harry. That is the only record I can find for any Harry Bloom with a reasonable date. Odds are slim, but I was hoping it would lead to more records. No luck.

I am looking for more on Harry and Rose both. My hope is to find their descendants, both to connect with long lost family and to see if anyone knows anything about the family further back.

I'm planning a research trip to Cleveland next year in hopes of answering some of these questions. But in the meantime, I'm just trying to find what I can online.

Re: Blum or Bloom Harry

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 10:12PM GMT
did you check the city directory where Harry died? Also where he lived before that to see if any older children are listed.
I guess you have no obit on him or know where he is interred-not with siblings?or parents??

would his name also app ear as Harold?

did you check with every family member for any scrap of info?

Posted: 5 Mar 2014 5:19PM GMT
Since I'm not sure of the death location, I haven't checked. I do know he lived in LA for quite a while, but can't find anything there for him. There was another Harry Bloom involved in the movie industry, but I'm fairly sure that's not him.
I don't think his name would appear as Harold, but as something in Yiddish. I've yet to figure out the likely answer to that.
Family members will cofirm his existance, but nothing more.

Posted: 6 Mar 2014 12:06PM GMT
There is a Jewish Genealogical Society in Cleveland (http://clevelandjgs.org/). If you haven't already done so, you may want to contact them.

Posted: 7 May 2014 3:36AM GMT
I have great grandparents called Bloom or Blume

Posted: 11 May 2014 10:38PM GMT
I have contacted them. They've been very helpful. So I'm just asking around here in hopes of running into someone who can help me, or maybe someone I can help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions