Search for content in message boards

Jewish musician, name or stage name Stanton

Jewish musician, name or stage name Stanton

Posted: 24 Mar 2014 4:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stanton
I am adopted, and through DNA I have determined that my birth father was Eastern European Jewish (Ashkenazi). I was conceived in Fort Wayne Indiana in 1956, and my birth mother (who is deceased; I have never met her) told the adoption agency that my birth father was a musician named Bill Stanton, performing at a lounge or club in Fort Wayne in the spring of 1956. He was about 33 so he would probably have been born in the early 1920's. I've not been able to find anyone that meets this description, and I'm wondering if he may have used the name Bill Stanton as a stage name. Does anyone know of any family member that might fit this description? I have a picture that my birth mother had kept which I believe is him.

Re: Jewish musician, name or stage name Stanton

Posted: 25 Mar 2014 5:12PM GMT
U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-Current
about William F. Stanton Name: William F. Stanton check obit
Last Residence: 46808 Fort Wayne, Allen, Indiana
BORN: 1 Jun 1925
Last Benefit: 46808 Fort Wayne, Allen, Indiana
Died: 28 Dec 2007
State (Year) SSN issued: Indiana (Before 1951)

Source Citation: ; Issue State: Indiana; Issue Date: Before 1951.

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-Current [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2011.
Original data: Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Social Security Administration.

Description:
The Social Security Administration Death Master File contains information on millions of deceased individuals with United States social security numbers whose deaths were reported to the Social Security Administration. Birth years for the individuals listed range from 1875 to last year. Information in these records includes name, birth date, death date, and last known residence. Learn more...

Posted: 25 Mar 2014 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Stanton
Thank you, but I don't think that's him. The family tree for that man goes back a ways, and there's nothing to indicate Jewish or Eastern European background. I don't think the man I'm looking for was from Fort Wayne; according to the adoption records he left town when my birth mother told him she was pregnant, and broke off contact. Because of all the people I'm connected to by DNA, I think he was from a family that came to the US or Canada from Ukraine, or Russia, or Poland, probably in the mid to late 1800's or early 1900's.

Posted: 30 Mar 2014 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: STANTON
I searched around using Google and didn't find anything in national entertainment/entertainment societies, so I wonder if he only performed regionally. Perhaps check newspapers, etc. from nearby cities/states?

I agree that STANTON is probably a stage name, but I'll look for the surname using JewishGen and see if it shows up anywhere else.

- Barbara

Posted: 31 Mar 2014 2:18PM GMT
Thank you, Barbara! I have looked on JewishGen (I may be PJ Hoover on there) and found one Bill Stanton (in Florida, I think) but I haven't contacted his family yet. I'll do that next, but I guess I had decided that Bill Stanton was not his legal name, since I have looked at so many Bill Stantons who weren't him.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic