Search for content in message boards

Georges Society Publication Vol iv

Georges Society Publication Vol iv

Posted: 20 Mar 2011 4:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know what the publication name is that Georges Society put out? I am trying to find the original and complete story of the following James Davis, also shows publication I am talking about in context.

"The "Relation" of James Davis is interesting and is given in full in Vol IV of the Georges Society Publication, so we will not dwell any further on his narrative. This narrative suspends on the 6th of October 1607 and Mr Thayer ..."

Thanks,
Rob Davis

P.S. I found many things in google search about St. Georges society and lot of other books that reference them. However I was unable to find the vol iv or any other volume for that matter.

Re: Georges Society Publication Vol iv

Posted: 14 Apr 2011 4:22PM GMT
What is the source of your quote?

Posted: 14 Apr 2011 4:48PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2011 4:50PM GMT
I'm not sure which St. George's Society printed this (There are many societies) but you might not need that because you can get a reprint of the Relation online.

The Relation = a narrative entitled "The Relation of a Voyage unto New England begun from the Lizard, ye first of June 1607"

A reprint of the narrative is in this free online book:
"The Sagadahoc Colony, comprising the relation of a voyage into New England" by Henry Otis Thayer
http://www.archive.org/details/sagadahoccolony00thaygoog

Note: The author of the original narrative is UNKNOWN, but Thayer believed that the author was JAMES DAVIES.

Somehow further references to this work have changed the name to JAMES DAVIS.

Also see this web page:
http://davisbeantrees.home.comcast.net/~davisbeantrees/id35....

Posted: 14 Apr 2011 10:21PM GMT
Thank you but I already knew about all of those. If I remember correctly Henry Thayer's book is the one I got the original quote out of. While I found the missing pages on archive.org that were not included in the google book.

I still do not know what it is talking about St Georges society publication.

What is Georges Society Publication Vol 4? I also found that there were many Georges Society publications, that is why I asked the original question, so that I could at least narrow the search a little.

Thanks again,
Rob

Posted: 14 Apr 2011 10:25PM GMT
There are also a lot of websites that can be found that try to dissect the original story or at least Thayer's relation of it. I do not want their relations of the relation. I want to find the full and complete original relation. :-)

Posted: 15 Apr 2011 1:26AM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2011 1:29AM GMT
The text of the original Relation was in the book that I cited -- starting around p. 38, if I remember correctly....

Oh -- pages 35 to 86. Take a look.

Posted: 15 Apr 2011 1:35AM GMT
I searched around a bit -- It's the GORGES Society, not Georges. It was based in Portland, Maine.

I'll see if I can find anything else....

Posted: 15 Apr 2011 1:50AM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2011 2:04AM GMT
It seems that the Gorges Society did not name their publications.(I mean their publication was not a separate "journal.") According to WorldCat, their series was thus:

Vol I = New England's Vindication
Vol II = George Cleeve of Casco Bay...
Vol III = Rosier's Relation of Waymouth's Voyage...
Vol IV = The Sagadahoc Colony, comprising the Relation of a Voyage...[by Thayer]
Vol V = Christopher Levett, of York...

The book I cited IS Volume IV.

Posted: 15 Apr 2011 2:11AM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2011 2:16AM GMT
The source of your quote is this book:

SEVENTEENTH CENTURY ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY, VIRGINIA: A HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF ISLE OF WIGHT, VIRGINIA, DURING THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY, INCLUDING ABSTRACTS OF THE COUNTY RECORDS
by John Bennett Boddie

page 435

(sorry it's in caps - I pasted the title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2011 2:28AM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2011 2:33AM GMT
So the Thayer story was the original? Wow, no wonder I was having trouble with it. Thanks for the info. It's a bummer though in the other instance as I thought there would be more detail.

Thanks again.

Rob Davis

P.S. sorry I got the book wrong on the quote, I've read so much about this from different places it's hard sometimes to remember exactly where I saw what.

Thanks again for the excellent info. How'd you figure out it was Gorges instead of Georges. Don't you just love all these old books that have these references and they name the reference wrong or the reference has changed it's name, etc.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic