Search for content in message boards

Eli Hurley

Eli Hurley

Posted: 3 Mar 2006 3:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Would love to correspond to anyone with information on this family.
Eli Hurley b. 1822Va
Nancy Ellen Blake b. 1830 Ind.
Children:
Phoebe
James
Joanan
Rebecca
William
Louis

All born between 1852and 1869 probably in Berrien.
Eli died in 1871 of Typhoid Fever in Bertrand. Wonder if anyone could find his headstone for me.
Thanks, Jackie

Re: Eli Hurley

William Brackett (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2006 4:49PM GMT
I am not related but trying to be helpful. The 1860 census of Bertrand Township, Michigan includes: Eli Hurrie 38 born Va, Nancy E. 26 born IN, Phebe 7 born MI, James 6 born MI, Joanan 4 born Mi and Wm B. 1 born MI. This (Hurrie) is obviously a misspelling of Hurley. The 1870 census of Bertrand Township includes: Eli Hurley 46 born Virginia, Nancy 34 born IN, Phoebe 17 born MI, James 14 born MI, Joanan 12 born MI, Rebecca 8 born MI, Louis 8 months born MI. This person has a lot of documentation on Eli: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&...
I will try and search for his burial site when I get a chance to go to the library in Niles.

Posted: 10 Mar 2006 5:47PM GMT
Sorry I made a mistake in looking at the census information. Their daughter Phebe/Phoebe was born in Indiana not Michigan. They must have came to Michigan between her birth and their next child, James. That would make the move here about 1853/54. Eli should be in the 1850 Indiana or Virginia census?

Posted: 11 Mar 2006 3:14PM GMT
I did not have any luck finding Eli's burial place. I did however find the location of his property in 1860 as well as a brief biography of his daughter Phoebe. Nancy E. (Blake) Hurley was still in Bertrand Township in the 1880 census. In July of 1881 she married Harvey Buckles and moved into St. Joseph County, Indiana. In 1884 Harvey died and Nancy and "some of her sons went to Kansas". Also in the 1860 census living next to Eli and Nancy was a Rebecca Blake a widow and her three children. This may have been Eli's sister-in-law? It appears the 1850 census of Indiana would be useful to you as the Blake and Hurley familes came through there to Berrien County, Michigan. Nancy Blake married Eli Hurley in Henry County, IN in 1849. If you e-mail me directly with your mailing address I will send you the photocopies of what I found. brackettwilliam@yahoo.com

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 5:45PM GMT
Eli Hurley is my GGGrandfather.

don_jager@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions