Search for content in message boards

Henry Turnipseed b. Leesburg, fought in War of 1812

Henry Turnipseed b. Leesburg, fought in War of 1812

Posted: 19 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Nov 2001 1:54PM GMT
Surnames: Turnipseed, Rhodes
Looking for information on Henry John Turnipseed (b. 1795 Leesburg, Loudoun Co., VA) and his wife Alsinda Rhodes (b. 1803 near Leesburg).

Henry fought in the War of 1812 and was a Farmer as well as a Distiller. They moved to Richland, Wisc in 1855 according to some other sources.

Any information to corroborate my information would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Re: Henry Turnipseed b. Leesburg, fought in War of 1812

Posted: 1 Apr 2002 4:01AM GMT
My grandmother was a Turnipseed. Her father was Orville Turnipseed. His father was Henry John Turnipseed. His father was Henry Turnipseed aka Johann Henrich Reibsamen. Henry's 3rd wafe was Alcinda (Alsinda) Rhodes. If this is who you are looking for, I have info. dating back to Dorothy(Maria Dorothea) Steinbrenner: Henry Turnipseed's mother.

Posted: 1 Apr 2002 4:56AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2002 5:42AM GMT
Hello Barbara-

Yes, I would love to compare notes. I will be out of town until Friday, so I will contact you then!

Thanks
Mark Slade
mslade@usd.edu

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 5:32PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2002 5:42AM GMT
Is Orville the grandson then of Alcinda (Rhodes) Turnipseed? If so, I am from Orville's Uncle, William Bryant Turnipseed's line.

I would be happy to share info. Received a photocopied document from a Library in Loudoun Co., VA listing a lot of Turnipseeds. Have other info, but it is all secondary info from searching the internet, so havent been able to verify all the sources.

Also, have you ever seen the book, "Sewing the Seed" or something along that name...it is an out-of-print book about the Rebsamen/Turnipseed line?

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 10:26PM GMT
Yes Henry and Alcinda Turnipseed were the grandparents of Orville Turnipseed who was my great grandfather.So you must be related to Orville's cousin Emma Jane? The Turnipseeds have a tendancy to go back and forth, first using middle names and then using first names. They can be a confusing bunch! Henry aka Johann Henrich, had a son Henry John, my great great grandfather, William's brother. I haven't heard about the book you mentioned, but I will check with my mom's cousins, they might have heard of it. I would like to share the information I have. We can continue through this message board or you can email me directly. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Posted: 9 Sep 2003 8:20PM GMT
I have some information about Turnipseeds of the VA area, maybe I can verify some of yours.
judy

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 7:45PM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2004 2:46PM GMT
Judy-

I would love to see what information that you might have for the Turnipseed family. The only real information that I have been able to find concerning the VA links are an 1820 Census for Aldie Twnp., Loudoun Co., VA and that there is a Henry Turnipseed listed as a "Commissioner of Revenue" for Leesburg, Loudoun Co., VA on a document from Apr 13, 1824.

Thanks,
Mark

Judy Gettman (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2003 2:36PM GMT
Mark, I found eight Turnipseeds in the 1820 census, Richland District, SC, including a Daniel (who might be my line), but no Henrys. Of course one of these could be a father to him. Anyway, the next one I found in the 1830 census was in Augusta Co., VA. The following census in 1840, I found a Daniel in the Pickens Co., Alabama census. The ages and sexes pretty much match up with what I have, which was the 4 daughters who married Pattons. If these are correctly all related, then Daniel, born abt. 1790 had 3 sons and 7 daughters. If you want to send me your email address, I will pick out the Turnipseed information that I have and get it to you. Funny thing, one of the SC names looks like Potley, but I can't be sure. Maybe someone more of an expert can figure it out. Judy

Posted: 17 Sep 2003 3:19PM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2004 2:46PM GMT
Yes, you are correct in the name looking like Potley. I believe this is the nickname that Beat Rebsamen (Turnipseed) went by when he immigrated to South Carolina. There are a lot of Turnipseeds descended from these two brothers, though mine are through Beat "Potley"'s brother, Hans "John" Turnipseed. John is in the 1790 Census for Richland Co., SC as John Turnapseed (with an a). It seems misspelling of the surname was not terribly uncommon.

My ancester, Henry John Turnipseed (grandson of this Hans "John" Turnipseed) is in the 1840 - 1860 Censuses in Augusta Twnp., Carroll Co., OH, 1830 in Paris Twnp., Stark Co., OH. In 1820 there are 2 different Henry Turnipseeds. One in Aldie Twnp., Loudoun Co., VA, and the other in Fayette Twnp., Paint Co., OH. I am leaning towards the OH Henry because in 1830 he is in OH and the ages of the householders are closer in the OH than the VA census. This other Henry then is possibly an Uncle.

The 1840 Census spelled the surname Twinifseed, 1830 spelled Timmfreed and 1820 Tirnipseed.

Christy McMichael Vann (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2003 6:28PM GMT
Surnames: Rebsamen,Turnipseed, Hamiter
Would like to know if you know of Cemetery's where Rebamen (Turnupseed are located?) And also Hamiter? My line is from John daughter Barbara married Adam Frederick Hamiter their daughter Nancy married George Turnipseed and my GGGGrandfather was Levi they lived on the line in (Clayton)Henry Co. Ga.There are some more relatives that are in the area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions