Search for content in message boards

Olds of Miami Co. Indiana in 1800's

Olds of Miami Co. Indiana in 1800's

Posted: 30 Dec 2000 1:59PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2001 3:18AM GMT
Looking for James H. Olds, b. 1844 Phebe Ann Kerschner Olds, b. 1848. Had at least 7 children. Were in Miami Co. Indiana in 1880, but whole family gone by 1900. Where did they go? Any help would be appreciated.

Olds of Indiana

Posted: 29 Jan 2001 9:44PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2002 3:59AM GMT
Cheryl: You may be referring to the Miami County in Oklahoma (Indian Territory). Do you know if there are any Native Americans in your lineage? Most of the members of the Miami Tribe were forcibly relocated from Indiana to what became Oklahoma beginning in 1840-1845. If you have some other Olds names, let me know and I'll check my listing. I've got a couple "James" but the dates don't jive w/ yours. Good luck!
jho

Olds of Indiana

Posted: 30 Jan 2001 4:43PM GMT
Hi Janice,

Olds of Indiana

Posted: 30 Jan 2001 4:43PM GMT
Hi Janice,

Olds of Indiana

Posted: 30 Jan 2001 4:58PM GMT
Hi Janice: Sorry for the failed e-mail. Thanks for your reply. No, my James H. Olds & his wife Phebe Ann Kerschner were from Miami Co. Indiana. Phebe was a sister to my husband's gr grandfather. They were from PA originally. I don't know anything about the Olds, they could possibly have been Miami Indians. James & Phebe & children were on the Miami Co. Indiana Census up to & including 1880. I've lost them after that. If I come up with any other names in the Olds family I will let you know. Thanks!

James H. Old in Miami Co., IN

Virginia Treacy-Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2001 1:41AM GMT
James was the son of John Old, who claimed to be from England. He and his wife Mary A. Clendenning probably married abt. 1839 in Miami Co. I base this from the 1860 census. So far, I first found John Old appearing on the 1840 census in Miami Co., IN. There is a "Billy Old" in 1830 (Clark Co., No twp, pg 069). 1840 for John Old: Miami Co., pg. 508. I did not find him in 1850. 1860:pg.211, "PY" twp (Perry): John Old 47 Farmer Eng; Mary A.42 Ire.; Eliza J. 20 Ind.; Mary A. 18 Ind.;James 16 Ind.;Isabelle 14 Ind.; John 12 Ind. Please note that in the 1870 census index, he is listed as being born in "IN", age 57 (Perry twp, pg. 129).
It seems likely that the wife Mary A. Clendenning is the sister of Robert Clendenning (Robert Clendenon in 1860; Robart Clendenin 1840; pg 508. 1840 also has an "Anie Clendening" Miami Co., pg 518).
I also have a posting regarding this on: http//:genforum.genealogy.com/kershner/messages/204.html
I hope this helps. -Virginia Treacy-Thomas

James Old

Posted: 28 May 2001 10:40AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 11:28AM GMT
Hi - I think Virginia gave you most of the info on James. Brother John C. Old, the youngest of the Old-Clendenning marriage was my g. g. grandfather. He married Sarah Stallard. They are buried in Miami County as are John and Mary Ann Clendenning Old. Did you check out Miami County for obits on James and family? I am going to write to Chili Indiana Library for any newspaper items on the Old and Stallard family. I will include James and wife also. Seems that some great and wonderful transcriber listed all the surnames for the county newspapers in two large volumes. Hopefully there will be obits that will yield a clue as to the whereabouts of James' family, if you would like me to do so. Marilyn in Vegas....

James Phebe Olds of Miami Co. IN

Posted: 5 Jun 2001 11:47AM GMT
Thanks, Virginia, for your reply. I haven't done any research on any others in the Olds family but it seems James & Phebe & family just disappeared after 1880. I have looked in surrounding states & even Canada. If I remember correctly, it seems that James' parents & maybe a brother are even buried in Miami Co. A friend of mine that lives out West has looked numerous times at the Mormon Library for them but to no avail. Are the Olds your ancestors?
Cheryl Kerschner

James Phebe Olds of Miami Co. IN

Posted: 5 Jun 2001 12:09PM GMT
Hi, Marilyn, thank you for your reply. Yes, I have checked everywhere I know for James & Phebe & they are listed in the 1880 Miami Co. Census & then they disappear. I have checked surrounding states & Canada but can't seem to locate them or any of their children. No obits are listed. If you are going to write for help, you will need to write to the Peru Public Library, 102 E Main St., Peru IN 46970. Chili IN is just a wide spot in the road. I live in northern Miami Co. I would volunteer to help but my mother just passed away & I have been helping my dad. I would probably have time in the fall after crops are in. If you would like any pictures of tombstones, etc., I would be glad to get what I can for you.

Cheryl Kerschner

Old family

Posted: 5 Jun 2001 2:24PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 11:28AM GMT
Thanks so much Cheryl I will contact the library to see if I can get any info and get back to you. I send sympathy and understanding at your loss. You can reach me at bratcatii@aol.com anytime. I have info on Old family but not a get deal. thanks... marilyn in vegas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic