Search for content in message boards

FTM to RootsMagic

FTM to RootsMagic

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 4:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just downloaded the free version of Roots Magic to try it out and I must say I think I'm going to break down and buy it. My tree on Ancestry is going to be just my working research tree but I think I need to have a more permanent and secure tree on my hard drive. I have the 2008 version of Family Tree Maker that is okay but I really like what can be done with Roots Magic.

Re: FTM to RootsMagic

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 12:08PM GMT
I switched from FTM to RM a couple of years ago and haven't regretted the decision. I find RM much faster then FTM, especially when it comes to creating reports and such. It is a good idea to have a working tree on your hard drive.

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 10:50PM GMT
Thanks Bryan. I really like it so far. I have the free Essentials download now but I'm probably going to just buy the RM5 version this weekend for all of the other features.

Kim

Posted: 4 Apr 2012 9:08PM GMT
Help!! Just switching to RM. I have about 600 people in my FTM tree, is it best to just start new or try to fix all the problems (sources etc) with importing?

Thanks for your help!

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 2:26PM GMT
What's wrong with your sourcing and such? With 600 people I would think you'd be better off trying to fix what's wrong then starting a new tree.

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 7:15PM GMT
I would like to put them in the EE style templates, that RM uses and not the Free Form. But I guess I'll wait and see there is fix for this later.

I am also trying to find at way to clean up my media (census) to make sure I don't have duplicates and that they are attached to the right people. I would like one copy of a census for the family, not one for each child on that census.

I got Bruce Buzbee's book but I am still trying to clean up my data from importing. I do like RM and I am glad I made to switch, just wish I had done it a few years ago.

Thank you for your relpy!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions