Search for content in message boards

hazard family in ferrisburg vermont addison county

hazard family in ferrisburg vermont addison county

sumner ferris (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2006 11:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
i am trying to locate family of george.w.hazard born 1826, possibly in addison county. In federal census about 1840 he is purported to be black. It seems strange that areas with smaller populations that is seems so difficult to locate a black family

Re: hazard family in ferrisburg vermont addison county

Alice Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 12:25AM GMT
Surnames: Hazzard
The censuses are sometimes a little sketchy back then. They are full of misspellings. The Hazzard/Hazard families probably had their roots in RI ( like S Kingston- full of sailors), and they do include black members.I am not sure if they are former slaves of the family or if they adopted the name in another way.

Posted: 10 Aug 2006 11:48AM GMT
Sumner, I had Hazards from the Charlotte and Monkton area but they are white. Oscar Hazard (originally Oscar Lowry, but had name changein 1848) was born 1827 in Charlotte, Chittenden, VT.
In 1850 census of Norwich, Windsor County, VT there is a George Hazard, 24, born VT, black and Chloe, 53, NY, black.

sumner ferris (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 1:29PM GMT
Surnames: hazard
it seems that norwich in windsor county may be my great grand father. If he was 24 in 1850 the timeline for his birth would be right. Still more research to do.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic