Search for content in message boards

William Jackson Perry

William Jackson Perry

Posted: 10 Aug 2003 4:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: William Jackson Perry line
Hi List. (Att. Paula, Kim, and Bob)

Have been studying the Perry family for a while, found a conflict that I am hoping you all can help me with.

According to the 1830, 1840, and 1850 census Mary Perry
was born in 1829 as was Berry Perry. But I find no evidence
anywhere that there was a set of twins born in this family.

Another well known source states that Mary was born in

Does anyone have any more information? Or how are you
treating this conflict in this family line?

Thanks Penny Perry
Kenmore, WA

Re: William Jackson Perry

Kim (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2003 7:44PM GMT
Surnames: Perry
Penny,
From family notes given to me by my aunt I have that Mary was born in 1830 and Berry in 1829. I don't have exact dates though.
Kim

Luther Davenport (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2003 1:40AM GMT
I am not a Perry Researcher , but am interested in Anderson County , KY. history. I have a Berry Perry listed on muster rolls of a company of Anderson Co. boys that served in Mexican War 1847 , took part in Battle of Buena Vista Feb 1847

LAD

Posted: 9 Oct 2003 7:08PM GMT
Edited: 28 Mar 2004 6:08PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson, Ford
Was wondering if you had any info on the Jackson family of Anderson county or Ford family of that area. My gtgdmother Mamie Jackson bn 1880 in Anderson County was bn to Joe Jackson and Bettie/Betty Ford. Can you help?
Kathi

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 8:12PM GMT
William Jackson Perry is my 3rd great grandfather. I don't know much about him or his ancestors but would like to. Any information would be appreciated.

Also, the death record for Berry (my second great grandfather) lists his dob as June 7, 1826.

http://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archives/deathcerts/1919/1919_0...

Thank you!

Deb Renshaw

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 2:04AM GMT
This is from a military history project I'm working on . If you can add anything, I'd appreciate it.

Luther D.

Perry,Berry - Son of William Jackson Perry and Catherine Young. Born in Anderson County, Ky. On June 7, 1826 age est. 1870 census. Soon after the declaration of war with Mexico, nearly 100 men and boys from Anderson County stepped up to enroll for service. One of these young men was Berry Perry. Enrolled as a Salt River Tiger May 23 1846, and soon after traveled to Louisville where he was officially mustered into the service as a pvt. Co”C” 2nd Ky. Foot Infantry June 9, 1846. After a short stay at Louisville where they received drill and was outfitted with implements of war. The 2nd traveled down the rivers to a point just below Memphis, TN. From here they marched across Texas and arrived at Camp Belknap around early to mid August. The Kentuckians did not remain at this post long, moving into Mexico they were stationed at Camargo and assigned under command of General Zachary Taylor. On Feb. 22, 1847 Taylor’s army became engaged with a much larger enemy, and on the following day withstood a bloody battle at Buena Vista. After fighting all day in which the Kentucky troops had been heavily engaged, a lull in the fighting came in early afternoon. Then around 5 pm. The Mexicans opened with an artillery barrage and advanced with infantry and cavalry. The American line held firm inflicting a devastating fire which caused the assault to falter. The enemy appeared to be routed, and nearly all the light troops were ordered forward with deadly fire. In this action the 2nd KY and 1st ILL were foremost among the Americans. However, the pursuit was too hot and soon showed the clear disparity in numbers. Realizing an advantage in numbers, the Mexicans suddenly rallied and returned to fight the Americans. The Kentucky and Illinois regiments found themselves well beyond the reach of support and although they managed to inflict a dreadful toll on the enemy, they were soon in danger of being overwhelmed. Forced to withdraw under heavy fire, he men took refuge in a nearby ravine, but this offered little respite as the enemy along the ravine edges poured down a murderous fire, only their poor marksmanship prevented a total massacre. Mexican lancers entered the canyon, intent on the total destruction of the little command. In the meantime, American artillery had moved forward to help cover the retreat, and soon the attackers came within range of canister and grape shot. After three volleys, the Mexicans suffered greatly and were inclined to break off the attack. As darkness fell the battle subsided. Being outnumbered by more than 5 to 1, the Americans braced for renewed action that would certainly bring their total destruction, only to discover at dawn that the Mexican’s had withdrawn. The 2nd Ky. Suffered very high casualties in this battle and Co “C” suffered the highest rate of any other company. Pvt. Berry Perry was listed on the official casualty report for this battle as being severely wounded. He recovered from his wound to be mustered out of the service only after fulfilling his enlistment obligations, was discharged at New Orleans, LA. On June 8, 1847. After his Mexican War service Berry returned to Lawrenceburg and on July 24, 1849 he married Miss Polly Searcy. They became parents of seven children. Even though Berry was only in his mid to late thirties when the Civil War erupted, I could find no record that he was an active participant, However after the war, renegades and bandits that preyed on the citizens of Kentucky made it necessary to maintain law and order above and beyond the capacity of local officials. Therefore a militia was enrolled between 1865 and 1869, and according to James Posey, County Clerk of Anderson County, Berry was a member of this militia. Sometime later in life Berry relocated from his native Anderson County to Shelbyville, Missouri where he lived until his death which occurred just shy of his ninety third birthday on May 26, 1919 in Shelby County. A copy of his death certificate is on file at the Missouri state archives.

Perry,Chris - Son of William & Catherine Perry. Was a 29 year old resident of Anderson County when he volunteered for service in the Confederate Army. Joined Morgan’s men as they passed over the Kentucky River near Tyrone July 1862. Enlisted as a pvt. Co “B” 2nd Ky. Cav. CSA. Fought with John Hunt Morgan’s Army under direct command of Col. Basil Duke. Saw action in Tennessee, and Kentucky. Transferred to Co “F” 5th Ky. Cav. CSA then under Buford‘s command, but early in 1863, the 5th was reassigned to General John Hunt Morgan‘s command. With this regiment Perry saw action at Snow Hill, TN. April 3, Greasy Creek, KY. May 10, and several small skirmishes around the Cumberland River area during the month of June, 1863. On July 2, 1863 Morgan’s Raiders crossed the Cumberland River, beginning his Great Raid with a skirmishes at Marrow Bone July 2, and Columbia July 3, The first major battle occurred at Tebb’s Bend, KY. on July 4, and at Lebanon, KY. July 5. On June 8, the Confederates captured Federal Gunboats at Brandenburg and crossed the Ohio River into Indiana. On July 9 engaged at Corydon, IN. beginning 10 days of continual skirmishing with local militia and home guard units during which time they crossed over into Ohio. They fought battles at Salem, IN., Dennison, and Pomeroy Road, OH. They destroyed supply depots and captured many prisoners, but could only break up weapons and parole the soldiers. The local guards managed to slow down the advance, and allowed Federal troops to catch up. A major Battle took place on July 19, 1863 at Buffington Island, OH. Most the 5th regiment was captured here.

Perry,Claude Estill - Born March 1896 in Anderson County and found on 1900 Anderson County census as son of Henry & Malinda Perry. Served during WWI as a pvt. 309th Trench Mortor Battalion U.S. Army, being inducted at Lawrenceburg, Ky on May 25, 1918. The 309th Trench Mortar Bn. Was assigned to the 159th Field Artillery, a support brigade of the 84th Infantry Division of the American Expeditionary Force U.S. Army. The 84th “Lincoln Division” was established by the Federal War Department on August 5, 1917 at Camp Zachary Taylor in Louisville, Ky. The men of this division were primarily from the states of Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky. On August 20, 1918 the division began it’s deployment to Europe, and arrived in France by October 25th of that year. By the time that the 84th reached the front lines, the Argonne Forest Offensive had the Germans on the retreat, and the division was therefore assigned as a reserve unit, and remained on duty in this capacity until November 11, 1919 when an armistice was declared ending all combat operations of the war. He was discharged from the service at Camp Taylor, Ky. on January 28, 1919, and a copy of his discharge is on file at Anderson County Courthouse, Lawrenceburg, Ky. He is buried at Lawrenceburg Cemetery, Anderson County, Ky. And his grave is marked by a government supplied marker denoting his service.

Perry,Floyd Granson - Born March 1890 in Anderson County and found on 1900 Anderson County census as son of Alvin & Sarah Perry. Served during WWI as a pvt. HQ Co for the 68th Field Artillery U.S. Army. Enlisted 9/5/1918 Discharged 12/21/1918. Copy of discharge on file at Anderson County Courthouse, Lawrenceburg, Ky. Is found on list of soldiers from that war compiled by Mr. Wyatt Shely Anderson County historian.

Perry,John Willie - Born Jan. 1898 in Anderson County and found on 1900 Anderson County census as son of Henry & Malinda. Served during WWI as a pvt. U.S. Army. Is found on list of soldiers from that war compiled by Mr. Wyatt Shely Anderson County historian. Buried at Lawrenceburg Cemetery Anderson County, Ky. On Dec. 22, 1926 he married Miss Ruby Franklin. John Willie was a farmer and for several years operated the county home for the aged, later relocated to Tyrone and built and operated Sunset Hill home for aged. John passed away July 1957, and is buried at the Old Lawrenceburg Cemetery. John and Ruby were parents of several children including Mr. John Allen Perry, former Property valuation officer for Anderson County.

Perry,Louis Gideon - Born April 6, 1846 and died Aug. 12, 1910. He was married in 1867 to Miss Mary Emma Palmer and were parents of 5 children. Son of John & Lydia Perry. Was an 18 year old resident of Anderson County when he volunteered to serve in the Union Army during the Civil War. Was recruited and enrolled at Lawrenceburg, Ky. Aug. 10 1862, and mustered into Federal service at Eminence, Ky. Aug. 22, 1862. Served as a pvt. Co “L” 9th Ky. Vol. Cav. USA. The 9th Cavalry was immediately pressed into action by marching to join the Battle of Richmond, KY. Aug. 30 1862. Arriving too late to turn the tide of battle and joined the retreat to Shelbyville. During the Battle of Perryville Oct. 8, 1862, the 9th Ky. Acted as scouts and were engaged in skirmishing actions at Lawrenceburg, Chesser‘s Store, and Dog Walk, and moved to capture Harrodsburg. During the late fall of 1862 they operated against the guerrilla raider, Champ Ferguson. Dec. 1862 the 9th pursued Morgan on his Christmas Raid across Kentucky with actions at Bacon Creek Bridge, Elizabethtown, Muldraugh‘s Hill and Rolling Fork. In the spring of 1863 were engaged against the Rebel Peagram. During July of 1863 were once again in pursuit of Morgan on his Ohio / Indiana Raid, with battles at Marrowbone, Burkesville, Buffington Island, and at the capture of Morgan at New Lisbon on July 26, 1863. Was discharged and mustered from service at Eminence, KY. Sept. 11, 1863. He volunteered for a second enlistment and was mustered into Federal service at New Castle, Henry County, KY Sept. 1864. Served as a pvt. Co “D” 54th Ky. Mtd. Inf. USA. From it’s base in north central Kentucky, the 54th opposed guerrilla forces operating in the area. In Dec. 1864 it joined Stoneman’s Raid into Southwest Virginia, with battles at Clinch River, Marion, and the 2nd Battle of Saltville. Returned to provost duty around Lexington, and continued to engage guerrillas until Sept. 1, 1865 when it was discharged and mustered from service, having fulfilled it’s enlistment obligation. He was buried at the Siers’s Family Cemetery in the Birdie Community on the Old Poor House Road.

Perry,William - Was married in Anderson County on Dec. 17, 1846 to Miss Sarah Crook. He was a soldier during the Mexican War serving as a cpl. Co “E” 16th U.S. Infantry, under command of Capt. Theodore T. Garrard. The 16th regiment of U.S. Army regulars was called into service by act of Congress Feb. 11, 1847 for service in the war with Mexico. Organized February and March and mustered into Federal service on March 10, 1847 at Newport, KY. under command of Colonel John W. Tibbatts. The regiment was deployed from Kentucky to Mexico where it was to be placed under the command of General Taylor, but by the time it arrived at it’s post, the fighting had ended in Northern Mexico and the 16th was delegated to garrison duty. He was mustered out of service at Newport on Aug. 5, 1848. Was found on the 1850 Anderson County federal census as a 26 year old.

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 4:02PM GMT
Thank you Luther!

I only have a few anecdotal bits passed down through the family - like: Berry and John brought 2 slaves from KY and when freed one said; "Well, Mr. Berry where are we gonna go?"

I have more information about John Thomas Perry, Berry's son. Let me know if you are interested in that.

Do you know anything about Berry's parents? I have very little on them.

Thanks again!

Deb

Posted: 1 Jul 2011 2:29AM GMT
Sorry don't have any more.

My project only deals with individuals with military service

Luther D.

Posted: 1 Jul 2011 2:29AM GMT
Sorry don't have any more.