Search for content in message boards

ROPER Cumberland KY Deed and Will Records

ROPER Cumberland KY Deed and Will Records

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 5:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
In looking at the book “Cumberland County Kentucky Deed Records Abstract and Index” compiled by Laura Lee Butler and Randolph N. Smith, 1975, we find the following information:

“David Roper & w. Nancy of Rhea Co. Tenn. to Clement Scott land on Galaway; 2/8/1831; G-241; also 6-242; 8/18/1830”. P. 158

“David Roper of Rhea County to Joel Scott land on Galloway Creek; 8/2/1830; G-244”. P. 158

“Milton Murley, Att. for John A. Roper, Ex.of David Roper, dec. of Monroe Co., KY to Jacob Cain land on Kettle Creek; 11/5/1856; 0-32”. P 336

“John A. Roper of Macon, MO. p. a. to Milton Murley of the Co. to deed land as heir or adm. of David Roper, dec.; 6/2/1843”. P. 350

“John C. Roper & wife Hannah to Philip Lawson land on Surphur Creek:7/22/1834”. P. 175

“James Sam to John C. Roper land on Sulphur Creek; 12/23/1819; D-179”. P. 82

“Richard M. Phillips and w. E.S. to Sally Roper land on Potter’s Creek; 7/26/1863; P-579”. P. 403

In looking at the book “Cumberland County Kentucky Will Records 1815-1912” compiled by Laura Lee Butler, we find the following information:

“PHILLIP LAWSON
WILL C-207, 208; signed 12/23/1835; reccd.5/24/1826; wife Poly; Francis Keen.
Wit. Thomas Watkins, Nathaniel R. Ridble (sp?), Isaac Spears, ex. Polly Lawson & Francis Keen”. P. 36

And, although the following is indexed as “Ross”, it would be worth checking out in the original to see if it is in fact “Roper”, since there are a number of Claytons and one Lewis.

“ROSS (or ROP)

MARTIN ROSS
Will G 79, signed 8/12/1865, reccd. 1/4/1867; wife Elizabeth; sons J. W., Israel, eldest son of W.F;
daughter Martha A. Anderson, Matilda Ross, Francis Fergus, Prudence T. Lewis, Sarah A. Clayton,
grandson Martin P. Clayton son of deceased daughter Rebecca Clayton; wit. F. M. Snow and
W. T. Vining”.

David and Nancy ROPER, of Cumberland and Rhea County, KY

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 1:37AM GMT
Edited: 23 Dec 2012 2:14AM GMT
Surnames: Roper, Lawson, Martin
Frank:

I had been skeptical that David ROPER, of Cumberland County, KY, was the SAME David ROPER later found in Rhea County, TN. But these record would seem to positively show that David ROPER, of Rhea, had owned land in Cumberland County! It will be interesting to see what the transcripts of these deeds show when you obtain them! Usually, the underlying primary records show some additional insight which cannot be readily garnered from the abstracts.

The 1830 Census record seems to show that the eldest male and female within the household of David ROPER are age 50 to 59 (b abt 1771-80). There is a Barckley LAWSON on the same Census page as David ROPER in Rhea County.

It is UNCLEAR which of the David ROPERs shown in the 1820 Census is the David ROPER later found in Rhea. It may have been the David ROPER enumerated in Cumberland County, KY, that year. But there may have been more than one David ROPER (multiple generations in Cumberland County).

The David ROPER shown in Cumberland is shown to be age 26 to 44 in 1820 (b abt 1774-96). If the David ROPER found in Rhea is actually the SAME David ROPER and presuming the Census age ranges to be correct, this David ROPER would then be (b abt 1774-80), which substantially narriws the range.

The most casual and simple reading of the abstract information seems to suggest that a David ROPER who previously resided and/or owned land in Cumberland County, KY, moved to Rhea County, TN, before 02 Aug 1830; that this Daivd ROPER and his wife Nancy sold land in Cumberland County to others in 1830 and 1831; and that a John A. ROPER, of Macon County, MO, was the executor of the estate of a David ROPER who died before 02 Jun 1843.

The indication that John ROPER was executor rather than administrator seems to imply that David ROPER died leaving a Will! The indication in the 1856 deed seems to suggest that the David ROPER who died resided at death in Monroe County, KY, which is adjacent to Cumberland County and a place where we know that a David ROPER also owned land.

So Monroe County, Tennessee seems to be the first place to look for David ROPER's Will and any other ancillary probate documents. You should defenitely obtain a copy of the power of attorney to Milton MURLEY filed in Cumberland in 1843, as it may contain some additional details about John A. ROPER's authority to act.

There is a John A. ROPER, age 46 (b abt 1804 - VA), shown in the 1850 Census residing in Macon County, Missouri, with wife Patsy, age 42, and daughter Elizabeth, age 20. Elizabeth is shown to be born in Kentucky, suggesting that John A. ROPER still lived in Kentucky in 1830.

It is very interesting that John A. ROPER is shown to be born in Virginia abt 1804. MANY ROPERs have by that year settled in North Carolina and South Carolina. The universe of possible ROPER families from which David ROPER and Jahn A. ROPER might have therefore emerged is therefore somewhat NARROWED.

The Nancy ROPER, age 65 (b abt 1795 - MD), enumerated in Maysville, Mason County, KY, seems a bit too young to be John A. ROPER's mother if her age is correct in the Census. But I have found that elderly ladies, particularly those residing alone, are notorious about shaving years OFF of their age, so I would give this Nancy ROPER a look just to see where she fits in. Mason County is a bit away from Cumberland and Monroe Counties, but a plausible place for a widow to settle. Of course, the Will and probate information for David ROPER should show whether Nancy ROPER was still living at David ROPER's death.

The transactions between John C. ROPER and Philip LAWSON also seem to me to be telling. Before, we had surmised a possible family connection between the ROPERs and Philip LAWSON based solely upon the appearance of the given name "Philip Lawson" in the ROPER family and adjacency of ROPERs and LAWSONs in Cumberland County.

A deed showing land passing between John C. ROPER and Philip LAWSON seems to CONFIRM that we are very much on the RIGHT track! The sale of land to Philip LAWSON by John C. ROPER and Hannah MARTIN seems to very tightly connect these families!

It should probably be noted that John C. ROPER and John A. ROPER seem to be too close in age to be father and son. John C. ROPER also seems to have had a son also named John C. ROPER. It seems more likely that John C. ROPER, who was born in Virginia, might be a younger brother or nephew of David ROPER, and uncle or cusin of John A. ROPER.

I am very excited to see that you are taking steps to obtian the deeds and Wills and it is clear that you can now finally make some real headway!

Crosslink To Prior Post: John C Roper (b 02 Aug 1796 - VA, 16 Dec 1876 - Dallas, MO)

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 1:48AM GMT
Edited: 23 Dec 2012 4:15AM GMT
Surnames: Roper
Frank:

I would once again call your attention to my prior post:

John C Roper (b 02 Aug 1796 - VA, 16 Dec 1876 - Dallas, MO)
http://boards.ancestrylibrary.com/thread.aspx?o=10&m=169...

Now, the most DIRECT information we have on Philip LAWSON is that he purchased land from this John C. ROPER!

Still, if I was going to hazard a GUESS, it would be that Philip LAWSON may have married a sister of David ROPER (b abt 1774-80). I think that John C. ROPER will turn out to be either a younger brother or nephew of David ROPER and that John A. ROPER will turn out to be David ROPER's son.

Thus, the John C. ROPER who sold the land is likely to ultimately be determined to be either Philip LAWSON's brother-in-law or nephew.

Will of Jacob SCOTT (dated 17 Oct 1834)

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 9:11AM GMT
Surnames: Roper, Lawson, Scott
Frank:

I would also expressly call your attention to the Cumberland, KY, Will of Jacob SCOTT, dated 17 Oct 1834, recorded 10 Feb 1835, within which Philip LAWSON and Clement SCOTT were named administrators, and which was witnessed by Philip LAWSON. See Will Book C at Page 138.

Note that Clement SCOTT was also a grantee of a deed from David and Nancy ROPER in 1831. Thus, we see these SCOTTs are also closely connected to Philip LAWSON.

Philip LAWSON was also a witness to the Will of Nicholas KEEN dated 12 Jun 1828, recorded 24 Feb 1829. Amongst legatees, he apparently mentions wife Penelope, a daughter Nancy WOOTEN, and a son Francis KEEN, amongst others.

Note that you identified Francis KEEN as an executor of Philip LAWSON's Will. It seems that the KEENs and LAWSONs are also closely allied families in Cumberland.

The mention of a Nancy WOOTEN within the Will of Nicholas KEEN is also interesting. A daughter of Joseph ROPER, of Chesterfield, seems to have married a Turner WOOTEN on 02 Jan 1792. This couple seems to have migrated to Tennessee.

After obtaining and reviewing the deeds and Wills you already identified, you might want to take a closer look at the SCOTT and KEEN families.

George W Roper, possible son of David Roper, Cumberland, KY

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 11:11PM GMT
Bill,

Thanks for all the leads.

Re: George W Roper, possible son of David Roper, Cumberland, KY

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 11:15PM GMT
I just found a posting on the Roper Rootsweb message board, dated March 26, 2010 that I hadn’t seen previously. The contents are the following:

“Christy,
Your statement about Philip L Roper born in Ky or TN in 1815-1818 and in the census in Marshall and Blount Co., AL is of special interest. My GG-Grandfather, George W. Roper was born in KY, spent some time in TN and ended up in Marshall Co., AL. His daughter, Eliza Jane married my G-grandfather, Pearson Montgomery Duran. Blount Co. is adjacent to Marshall Co. George W. is my brick wall. Do you have any information about Philip's parents or family? Please contact me at jhwright@edge.net. John”

This George W. Roper may be the brother of Charles Jackson Roper, b. abt 1818, KY and/or Philip L. Roper, b. abt 1815, KY. I say “and/or” because the jury is still out on their actual relationship.

I believe that David Roper, b. abt 1782, who is found residing in Cumberland, KY, is the father of either Charles Jackson Roper or Philip L. Roper, or both, based on my previous arguments. If David was their father, there are some missing sons of David.

The 1810 Cumberland, KY Census show three male sons of David Roper under 10 years of age.

The 1820 Cumberland, KY Census shows two sons of David Roper under 10 years of age (presumably Charles Jackson Roper and Philip L. Roper) and 3 males sons between 11-16.

When David and his wife Nancy moved from Cumberland, KY to Rhea, TN, they are shown with the following male children in the 1830 Rhea Census:

one male child 10-14; one 15-19; and two 20-29. Charles Jackson Roper should now be about 12 and Philip L Roper should be about 15. Which leaves two sons between 20-29.

One of those older sons could be George W. Roper, who first shows up in a July 1, 1845, Huntsville, Marshall County, AL deed. His name is listed as George W. Washington, Land Office Huntsville, Document Number 12531. Total acres is 80.25, issue date is Jul 1, 1845, statutory reference is 3 Stat. 566, Act of Treaty 1820, assignee of Richard Tidwell. The land description is 1 E1/2 SW HUNTSVILLE No 9S 2E 23.

The next time I find him is in the 1860 Marshall County, AL Census. He is shown as George W Roper, age 50, born about 1810 in Kentucky, living in the Western Division of Marshall, Alabama, Guntersville Post Office. His wife is listed as Catherine Roper, age 33, born in Alabama. There is a child named Hardy Roper, age 20, born in Tennessee, and a child named Eliza Jane Roper, born in Alabama, age 15. (Secondary sources say he was first married to a Jane, but I have found no primary proof of that name. However, this would explain a child in the household only 13 years younger than the mother in the household and who was born in Tennessee, not Alabama).

The 1870 Marshall County, AL Census has the additional information that George W. Roper is age 61 and his wife Catherine is age 43. They are shown with two children in the household, Henry, age 6, and John, age 5, both born in Alabama.

The 1980 Marshall County, AL Census shows George W Roper to be 71, born in abt. 1809, KY, occupation saloon keeper, with both parents being shown as born in Virginia. His wife is named Cassia, age 48, born in Alabama, with parents both born in Kentucky. The sons Henry and John again show up, with no new information.

Secondary sources say that George W. Roper died November 15, 1883, Warrenton, Marshall, AL.

So here are the connections that are important:

1. George W. Roper is born in Kentucky in abt. 1809, which would account for one of the missing children of David Roper in the 1810 and 1820 Cumberland, KY Census.

2. George W. Roper has a child born in about 1840 in Tennessee, where David Roper and his wife Nancy are residing by 1830.

3. George W. Roper appears in Marshall County, AL by at least July of 1845, where Philip L. Roper is residing by the time of the 1840 Marshall County, AL Census.

4. George W. Roper says his parents were born in Virginia. Secondary sources say Nancy Lewis, who I believe to be the wife of David Roper, was born in Virginia. However, this does conflict with Philip L Ropers statement in one of his census records wherein Philip stated that his parents were born in North Carolina.

5. Charles Jackson Roper named his first son George Washington Roper, born abt 1841, another son Henry, born abt 1848, and another son Philip Lawson Roper.

6. Philip L. Lawson, b. abt 1814, named two of his sons Henry, just as George Washington Roper named one of his sons Henry.

If I were allowed to guess, I would suggest that another of David’s missing sons was named Henry.

I will attempt to email this information to John Wright, who originally posted the message that gave me this lead.

Re: George W Roper, possible son of David Roper, Cumberland, KY

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 11:15PM GMT
I just found a posting on the Roper Rootsweb message board, dated March 26, 2010 that I hadn’t seen previously. The contents are the following:

“Christy,
Your statement about Philip L Roper born in Ky or TN in 1815-1818 and in the census in Marshall and Blount Co., AL is of special interest. My GG-Grandfather, George W. Roper was born in KY, spent some time in TN and ended up in Marshall Co., AL. His daughter, Eliza Jane married my G-grandfather, Pearson Montgomery Duran. Blount Co. is adjacent to Marshall Co. George W. is my brick wall. Do you have any information about Philip's parents or family? Please contact me at jhwright@edge.net. John”

This George W. Roper may be the brother of Charles Jackson Roper, b. abt 1818, KY and/or Philip L. Roper, b. abt 1815, KY. I say “and/or” because the jury is still out on their actual relationship.

I believe that David Roper, b. abt 1782, who is found residing in Cumberland, KY, is the father of either Charles Jackson Roper or Philip L. Roper, or both, based on my previous arguments. If David was their father, there are some missing sons of David.

The 1810 Cumberland, KY Census show three male sons of David Roper under 10 years of age.

The 1820 Cumberland, KY Census shows two sons of David Roper under 10 years of age (presumably Charles Jackson Roper and Philip L. Roper) and 3 males sons between 11-16.

When David and his wife Nancy moved from Cumberland, KY to Rhea, TN, they are shown with the following male children in the 1830 Rhea Census:

one male child 10-14; one 15-19; and two 20-29. Charles Jackson Roper should now be about 12 and Philip L Roper should be about 15. Which leaves two sons between 20-29.

One of those older sons could be George W. Roper, who first shows up in a July 1, 1845, Huntsville, Marshall County, AL deed. His name is listed as George W. Washington, Land Office Huntsville, Document Number 12531. Total acres is 80.25, issue date is Jul 1, 1845, statutory reference is 3 Stat. 566, Act of Treaty 1820, assignee of Richard Tidwell. The land description is 1 E1/2 SW HUNTSVILLE No 9S 2E 23.

The next time I find him is in the 1860 Marshall County, AL Census. He is shown as George W Roper, age 50, born about 1810 in Kentucky, living in the Western Division of Marshall, Alabama, Guntersville Post Office. His wife is listed as Catherine Roper, age 33, born in Alabama. There is a child named Hardy Roper, age 20, born in Tennessee, and a child named Eliza Jane Roper, born in Alabama, age 15. (Secondary sources say he was first married to a Jane, but I have found no primary proof of that name. However, this would explain a child in the household only 13 years younger than the mother in the household and who was born in Tennessee, not Alabama).

The 1870 Marshall County, AL Census has the additional information that George W. Roper is age 61 and his wife Catherine is age 43. They are shown with two children in the household, Henry, age 6, and John, age 5, both born in Alabama.

The 1980 Marshall County, AL Census shows George W Roper to be 71, born in abt. 1809, KY, occupation saloon keeper, with both parents being shown as born in Virginia. His wife is named Cassia, age 48, born in Alabama, with parents both born in Kentucky. The sons Henry and John again show up, with no new information.

Secondary sources say that George W. Roper died November 15, 1883, Warrenton, Marshall, AL.

So here are the connections that are important:

1. George W. Roper is born in Kentucky in abt. 1809, which would account for one of the missing children of David Roper in the 1810 and 1820 Cumberland, KY Census.

2. George W. Roper has a child born in about 1840 in Tennessee, where David Roper and his wife Nancy are residing by 1830.

3. George W. Roper appears in Marshall County, AL by at least July of 1845, where Philip L. Roper is residing by the time of the 1840 Marshall County, AL Census.

4. George W. Roper says his parents were born in Virginia. Secondary sources say Nancy Lewis, who I believe to be the wife of David Roper, was born in Virginia. However, this does conflict with Philip L Ropers statement in one of his census records wherein Philip stated that his parents were born in North Carolina.

5. Charles Jackson Roper named his first son George Washington Roper, born abt 1841, another son Henry, born abt 1848, and another son Philip Lawson Roper.

6. Philip L. Lawson, b. abt 1814, named two of his sons Henry, just as George Washington Roper named one of his sons Henry.

If I were allowed to guess, I would suggest that another of David’s missing sons was named Henry.

I will attempt to email this information to John Wright, who originally posted the message that gave me this lead.

David ROPER's Slaves and Other Thoughts About David ROPER, of Rhea, TN

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 1:39AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2013 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: Roper
Frank:

It occurs to me that your evidence that David ROPER, of Cumberland, KY, moved to Rhea County, TN, by 1830, suggests that we ought to be taking a closer look at David ROPER's slaves and whether these might offer some insight into his origin and paternity.

David ROPER, of Cumberland, is shown in the 1820 Census as having NO SLAVES. David ROPER, of Rhea, KY, in the 1830 Census is shown to have FOUR (4) SLAVES.

This is possibly significant for several reasons. First, there were quite a few ROPER families that owned no slaves, either for economic or ethical reasons. Poorer families couldn't afford slaves. Some early Methodist and Baptist ROPER families were strong abolitionists.

The appearance of slaves in this David ROPER's household would seem likely to distinguish this David ROPER as amongst those who did NOT have a strong ethical abhorence to slavery. The appearance of slaves within the household seemingly for the first time in the 1830 Census enumeration also presents a couple of other possibilities.

While this may simply reflect the purchase of slaves as David ROPER became more prosperous, another strong possibility is that these slaves might have been inherited between 1820 and 1830 by either David ROPER or his wife.

We can only make a rather weak inference about this, since the slaves could have been purchased or come to David ROPER's household in some other way. For example, the slaves could have been owned by some other member of his household other than David ROPER or his wife.

But the simplest explanation is that these four slaves were owned by David ROPER and/or his wife. Amongst these slaves are a male slave age 24 to 35 (b abt 1795-1806), a female slave 24 to 35 (b abt 1795-1806), a female slave age 10 to 23 (b abt 1807-20) and a females slave under age 10 (b abt 1821-30).

Source: 1830 US Census; Census Place: Rhea, Tennessee; Page: 373; NARA Series: M19; Roll Number: 175; Family History Film: 0024533.

Note that David ROPER is already age 50 to 59 in 1830. There are two ways to look at this. First, this is a somewhat advanced age to begin acquiring slaves. But second, it may reflect that David ROPER was only then overcoming earlier economic adversity and accumulating the resources necessary to purchase slaves.

However, David ROPER seemed to own several parcels of land in Cumberland and Monroe Counties, which seems a little less consistent with the idea that he was struggling.

This slave ownership may thus reflect the death of either David ROPER's father or his wife's father sometime between 1820 and 1830. There may very well be a Will or probate record that links this David ROPER to the prior generation.

You may want to particularly carefully look at those ROPERs in the 1820 Census of an age sufficient to be David ROPER's father who are shown to have been slave owners. The presence of the slaves may also be an indicator that might help us to identify the hosuehold of this David ROPER or his widow in the 1840 Census.

In my view, the Rhea deeds are likely to be particularly important. It is useful to see precisely when David ROPER arrived in Rhea and when he sold his land there. Since there are no ROPER enumerated in Rhea County in 1840, it seems likely that David ROPER either died or moved away between 1830 and 1840. However, I see no record of a Will or probate action in Rhea County for any ROPER during that interval, which is suggesting that David ROPER simply MOVED AWAY during the next decade. Finding the deed records reflecting this is really important!

Since the deed you found in Monroe county seems to reflect that David ROPER was already dead by 1843 and identifies him as a resident of Monroe County, you need to first focus your search there. That is, it seems to me that one must first take the assertions appearing in a primary record, like a deed, at face value and accept these as true unless and until some strong contrary evidence emerges.

On the other hand, it is also possible that John A. ROPER probated a Will written by David ROPER well before his death, possibly written while a resident of Monroe County and the language may simply reflect the probate of a Will that recited that David ROPER resided in Monroe County.

Finding the Will or other probate records seems to me to be the most important priority. Other research efforts would focus on finding information that would help to lead to discovery of the Will.

George W. ROPER (b abt 1809 - KY), of Marshall Co., AL

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 2:44AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2013 2:59PM GMT
Surnames: Roper, Baily
Frank:

George ROPER is enumerated in Marshall County, AL, in the 1850 Census, but the record is mis-indexed at Ancestry as "RESSER":

Source: Year: 1850; Census Place: District 22, Marshall, Alabama; Roll: M432_10; Page: 192B; Image: 388.

I have tagged the record with correcting information, but it wouldn't hurt for one or two other folks to update the Index entry, too, to better assure that the corrected Index entry makes it into the Ancestry search Index.

The 1850 Census record gives a much richer identification of the children. It is UNCLEAR whether the eldest female Casander, age 23 (b abt 1827 - AL) is an eldest daughter or a young wife, but her place of birth is suggestive that this is George's wife. Next is Elizabeth, age 18 (b abt 1832 - TN), followed by David, age 16 (b abt 1834 - TN). Following David are sons Milton, age 13 (b abt 1837 - TN) and Hardy, age 10 (b abt 1840 - TN). Nancy, age 8 (b abt 1842 - TN) is next with Elizabeth, age 6 (b abt 1844 - AL) the youngest.

David's appearance as seemingly the eldest son is consistent with this George ROPER being a son of a David ROPER, given the tendency to name the eldest son in honor of one's father. The appearance of a Nancy amongst the children also seems to be consistent with George being a child of David and Nancy ROPER, of Cumberland and Rhea.

Hardy and Milton, by contrast, are interesting names, not common in the ROPER family.

It seems a little unusual to have two daughters named "Elizabeth", introducing some question as to whether the eldest Elizabeth, age 18, is a daughter or, perhaps an orphaned niece or young ROPER widow. Alternatively, the younger Elizabeth ROPER, age 6, might be an orphan folded into the family.

Immediately adjacent to George ROPER in the 1850 enumeration is a Milton BAILY, age 38 (b abt 1812 - SC), who seems to be a very good candidate to be the person honored by naming a son Milton ROPER. Perhaps George ROPER was married to a BAILY.

Casander or Cassandra ROPER is much too young to be the mother of the elder children.

The birthplaces of the children seem to fix the arrival date of George ROPER in Alabama as abt 1842-4. This seems to be consistent with the deed record you noted. The birthplaces would also seem to imply that the place to look for George in the 1840 Census would be in Tennessee.

The ages of George and the children seem to be reasonably consistent with the ages of persons enumerated within the household of George ROPER, of McMinn County, TN, though Elizabeth at age 18 seems too old to be the female child shown to be under age 5 in 1840. This seems to suggest the possibility that the elder Elizabeth is not George ROPER's daughter.

Source: Year: 1840; Census Place: , Mcminn, Tennessee; Roll: 527; Page: 90; Image: 185; Family History Library Film: 0024547.

This ROPER family seems to be very promising as a source of additional insight into David and Nancy ROPER!

The coinciding appearance of both George ROPER and Philip ROPER in Alabama also makes me wonder if David ROPER migrated to that state. But the indication in the deed that John A. Roper is executor of David ROPER, deceased, of Monroe County, seems to suggest that David ROPER was dead by 1843 and that his last residence might have been in Monroe County. On the other hand, it is also possible that this was the only place he owned real property and that probate might have been necessary to proce a will to pass title to this property.

The Monroe County probate, land records and other court records seem to be the first place to look.

George W Roper m Catharin Duncan on 29 Nov 1849

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 4:26AM GMT
Surnames: Roper, Duncan
The LDS FamilySearch.org site shows a marriage of a George W. ROPER to a Catharin DUNCAN on 29 Nov 1849 in Marshall County, AL. It is unclear whether the Census enumerator got Catharin's name wrong or whether Catharin had a middle name of "Cassandra" which might explain the 1850 Census record.

This marriage would seem to explain the presence of a very young wife in George ROPER's household at the 1850 Census.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic