Search for content in message boards

Koontz Family

Koontz Family

Karen H. Nabours (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2005 4:34AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Koontz, Buchanan, Crow
I am trying to seek information on Mellie Frances Buchanan wife of Charles William Koontz. I am researching the Koontz family. I have received information to lead me to believe that Mellie Koontz died 02 NOV 1918 in Anadarko, Caddo Co.,Oklahoma. I also received information that said that Mrs. Koontz died 02 NOV 1918 in Anadarko, Caddo Co., Oklahoma and is recorded in Gish Funeral Book. Mellie and Charles had 7 children: Brady, Louis(Lewis), Mattie Mae, Lillie, Albert, Myrtle, and Robert. I would like to know if Mrs. Koontz and Mellie Koontz is the same individual. I would also like to know if there is more history for this family in Caddo County. I have read that there was a Lillie Koontz who married John Crow in 1918. I am also wondering is there is more history for this family in Caddo County. Thanks. Karen H. Nabours

Re: Koontz Family

sandy (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2005 6:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
karen, there are only three Koontz family members buried in the Anadarko (Memory Lane) cemetery according to the cemetery records which aren't always complete. Mary Ellen Koontz, Jack Koontz (27 jul 1929~17 oct 1967) and an infant. A MARY LOU KOONTZ died 02 nov 1918 at her home in Anadarko of the Spanish Influenza. She was @ 38 or 39 years of age and was supposed to have been buried in the Anadarko cemetery. According to the newspaper account of her death, a daughter and her baby were living with Mrs. Koontz. The daughter's name was given as Mrs. Cook. After the death of Mrs. Koontz, Mrs. Cook and her baby were taken to the Caddo county poor farm where the baby died 05 nov and was supposed to have been buried in the Anadarko cemetery as well. Mrs. Koontz and the Cook baby were probably buried as 'Paupers' which is probably one of the reasons why they are not listed in the cemetery records. Hope this helps you out. Sandy Miller

Posted: 12 Mar 2005 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: Koontz, Buchanan
Sandy, thank you for this information. I received information at www.familysearch.com about a Mattie Mae Koontz who married a Roy Walter Koontz and they listed Mellie Frances Buchanan Koontz as being buried at the cemetery. Charles William Koontz, my ancestor was listed as Mattie Mae Koontz's father. I am thinking that Mary Lou Koontz and Mellie F. Koontz are the same person. We also believe that something happened to this family. Brady Koontz, Mattie Mae Koontz Cook and Albert Koontz are the only three members that are found on the 1920 census records. Brady Koontz is in Kiowa County and Albert Koontz is found in a children's home in ALfalfa Co. Thank you so much. Karen

Posted: 13 Mar 2005 2:21AM GMT
Surnames: Koontz, Cook
Sandy I meant to say that Mattie Mae Koontz married Roy Walter Cook 04 NOV 1916 in Fletcher, Comanche, Oklahoma. Therefore, the Mrs. Koontz and Mrs. Cook would very; much make sense. Thanks again Karen

Vickie Cook Senn (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2005 10:44PM GMT
Hi. I am thrilled to contact you about my grandmother's family! We just came from Anadarko seeking the burial place of Mellie Frances (Buchanan) Koontz. She is definitely buried there and she died on 11/7/1918 with the flu epidemic. They have it listed wrong though because my grandmother's first child died on the same day and is buried next to Mellie Frances. My grandmother was Mattie Mae Koontz and Brady, Lewis, Myrtle, Albert, Lillie, Robert, Arthur and Dealy were her brothers and sisters. They dug her grave the same day as they buried her mom and her baby who was listed as "infant Cook" but her name was Merry Lou Cook. My grandmother did not die as they had expected of the 1918 flu. The obituary record is in error for it lists Mellie Frances as "Merry Lou Koontz". I have birthdates for all of the Koontz children, etc.Charles William Koontz married Mellie Frances Buchanan on 5/28/1896. Charles William was possibly born in TX on 5/1/1867. He died of stomach cancer (possibly) on 9/5/1914 or 1915. He is buried in Sulphur, Ok (Murray County).Mellie is buried at Memory Lane Cemetery in Anadarko, Ok but as I said before, they have her listed as Merry Lou Koontz in error. I do not know how to correct this but I am checking into it.
Brady Andy Koontz b.4-1-1897 in Tx married Lena Vaughn
Lewis Joe Koontz b.7-29-1898 married Lula Stone
Mattie Mae Koontz b.11-20-1901 in Coalgate, Ok married Roy Walter Cook.Mattie died 12-14-1981 and is buried at Resthaven Cemetery in Okla. City, Ok
Lillie Alma Koontz b.10-18-1903 in Coalgate, Ok married John Crow on 9/7/1918 in Caddo County, Ok
Albert Koontz b.2/22/1905 Stephens, Ok
Myrtle Koontz b.10/16/1906 Stephens, Ok married Andy Crow
Robert Koontz b.4-2-1909 Stephens, Ok
Arthur Roy Koontz b.12-23-1914 Sulphur, Ok
Dealy Koontz (female) b. 3-16-1913 died 3-17-1913 Buisby,Az

Posted: 30 May 2005 10:51PM GMT

Posted: 30 May 2005 11:55PM GMT
I have info that Myrtle and Art attended Caddo Co. schools in 1916. They are listed as Kuntz though. I think John and Andy Crow were brothers but will check with my dad first. Marriage license was granted in Caddo Co. for John Crow and Lillie Koontz I believe. All of the children were scattered when Mellie Frances died. They finally found each other in later adult life. Dad knows more facts so I will write more later.One went to prison in AZ I believe for stealing a chicken during the depression. He was there his whole life for it. I think it was Uncle Albert. Myrtle lived in Los Angeles, CA and had a daughter named Velda. Lillie lived in Kingman, AZ I believe. I have a crocheted Lord's Supper tablecloth she made for my grandmother, Mattie. Mattie remained in Ok but most of her siblings went to CA and a couple of them were cremated.

Posted: 31 May 2005 6:31AM GMT
Vicki:

Thank you so much for replying. I am one of many Koontz family members have been searching this family. Charles William Koontz was the son of Andrew Brown Koontz and
Martha Jane Harlow Koontz. Andrew Brown Koontz was born May 16, 1827 in Virginia and died May 14, 1912 in Ogburn, Wood County, Texas. Charles William Koontz was most likely born in Hopkins County Texas. My Great-Grandma was Lillie Mae Koontz Miller Connor. She was the youngest child of Andrew and Martha. Your Lillie was most likely named after her. I have alot to tell you. Please email me at khnabours@charter.net. I am so happy to meet another Koontz descendant. We did have some information about Mellie and Charles and I did get the obit. Karen

Posted: 31 May 2005 6:53AM GMT
Vicki,
I had the following information on Mellie Francis Buchanan that I found at www.familysearch.com

Mellie Francis Buchanan
Birth: 13 APR 1877 Athens, Henderson, Texas
Death: 02 NOV 1918 Anadarko, Caddo, Oklahoma
Burial: NOV 1918 Anadarko, Caddo, Oklahoma
Father: William Buchanan
Mother: Mattie Gover

We had wondered and wondered about this family. I believe that Charles was close to my G-Grandma, Lillie Mae. I have alot of information about Charles' brothers and sisters. My grandma was especially close to one of the sisters Martha Louvina Koontz who never married but help take care of my grandmother and her siblings. I am so glad to hear from you. Karen

Posted: 31 May 2005 7:03AM GMT
Vicki,
We worried and worried about Albert. We have him living in a Children's home in Oklahoma. We don't know if he did anything wrong or not. Someone did get the Obit for Mellie. It is very sad and it spoke of the Flu and that the baby had died. It also spoke of Mattie.
Please email me and I will forward it to you. I can't believe some of the things that were in the obit.
What happened to Robert? I believe I located Braddy in California. Did Lillie marry twice? We knew that she married a Crow. Karen
Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic