Search for content in message boards

Jones family and Poultney, Vermont

Jones family and Poultney, Vermont

Sheila Ferchalk (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2001 11:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jones, Hughes, Roberts
I am searching for information on Owen and Hannah Jones. They came to Vermont from Wales in 1904. They had three sons, Robert, Hugh and William. They went to Poultney, Vermont, because Hannah Jones had a sister living there. Her last name was Hughes. These are my grandparents I am looking for any information.
Thank You

Re: Jones family and Poultney, Vermont

Posted: 22 Aug 2001 1:43PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2002 9:01PM GMT
Sheila: There is a Hannah H. Jones 1868 - 1952 buried in the Poultney Cemetery, she is in section DA. She is with William J. 1871 - 1954, & Richard E. 1908 - 1953 and his wife Edith Flack 1912 - 1989. Don't know if this helps.

sheila ferchalk (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2001 11:16PM GMT
Andy,
Thanks for searching. It is the wrong Hannah Jones. I appreciate your help.
Sheila

Posted: 29 Nov 2001 4:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2002 11:39PM GMT
Shelia,have you found your info on Hannah Jones yet?There are dozens of Hughes and Jones in Poultney now.I found 2 Hannah jones buried in Poultney cemeterys.E-mail me at my home address.

Re: ELIZABETH [JONES] OWEN Wales to Poultney, Vermont mid 1800's; obit sister, Susan JONES HUGHES

Posted: 8 Nov 2003 9:10PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2006 6:01PM GMT
Surnames: Aylott, Jones, Hughes, Owen, Williams
Hi Jean,Seeking data [birth, marriage and death dates and places and husband's first name] for Elizabeth JONES, born about 1840 in Wales, daughter of Roland and Emma [Elizabeth] JONES, and married unknown 1st name OWEN of Poultney, Rutland Co., VT. She is the sister of my 2nd great grandmother, Susan JONES, who married John HUGHES of Oneida Co., NY. [See Susan's obituary below].THANKS :-) in advance,Jan JordanObituary May 2, 1917 BARNEVELD, TRENTON, ONEIDA COUNTY, NY, "MRS. JOHN HUGHES Long Time Resident of Town Dies After Long IllnesMrs. John Hughes Succumbs, Following Long Illness Patiently Borne.   Susan Jones, wife of John HUGHES, died yesterday afternoon after a long illness. Mrs. Hughes was a woman of beautiful character, esteemed by all who knew her. She was devoted to the best interests of her home and family. The sympathy of the community goes out to the bereaved husband, by whom she was greatly beloved.       Mrs. HUGHES was born in Wales 79 years ago, the daughter of Roland and Elizabeth JONES. She came to America and located in this town when 16 years old, and had lived here ever since, a period of 63 years. April 8, 1859 she married John HUGHES, and seven children were born to them, five of whom are living.           Five of these survive their mother, as follows: Edwin HUGHES and Mrs. Jennie MCINTOSH of Trenton, Frank HUGHES, Chicago, George HUGHES, Syracuse, and Charles HUGHES of Auburn; three sisters, Mrs. Matilda AYLOTT, London, England; Mrs. Elizabeth OWEN, Poultney, Vt., and Mrs. Mary WILLIAMS, Granville. Eight grandchildren also survive.       Mrs. HUGHES bore her last illness with a fortitude and patience that evidenced her strong Christian faith. Her lose is deeply regretted. The funeral is at the convenience of the family." Source is Sept. 8, 1919, Monday morning"Utica Daily Press".

Re: ELIZABETH [JONES] OWEN Wales to Poultney, Vermont mid 1800's; obit sister, Susan JONES HUGHES

Posted: 11 Nov 2003 4:04AM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2005 3:45PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Evans, Hughes
I have been researching my husband's family in Poultney, VT. I was interested in the obit you posted, not because we are related, but to find out more about George Hughes the son of Susan Jones and John Hughes, who was listed as living in Syracuse at the time of his mother's death. My husband's grandparents lived with a George and Margaret Hughes in Syracuse from 1907-1908. In a diary, they were referred to as Uncle George and Aunt Maggie but I don't know if they were related or whether this was just a term of affection. Margaret Hughes out lived her husband by many years. I know they had one daughter, Helen. In the 1920 census they had a nephew, Howard McIntock, living with them. They also lived in Utica for awhile.

My husband's grandfather was John James Thomas who was born in Barneveld, Trenton, Oneida County. His wife, Mary Catherine Evans was born in Bangor PA but her parents moved to Poultney, Vt. around 1880 where her father, William Evans, died soon after. Her mother then married Eben Jones. Mary Catherine lived in Poultney most of her life prior to her marriage to John.

If any of this rings a bell, please let me know.

Donna

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: Jones
I'm jumping in a bit late, but my husband's family David Jones married to Anna williams lived in Poultney VT when my father in law, Arvon Lloyd Jones, was born in 1908. Anything familiar? I know someone has done his family on paper at least.

Thanks

Posted: 31 Jan 2004 4:01PM GMT
Edited: 3 Apr 2005 6:45PM GMT
Surnames: Jones
Here is what I found in the 1910 Vermont Census, Rutland County, Poultney Sheet 6. Although it says the mother has 4 living children, only 3 are listed. Perhaps the 4th is Arvon Lloyd?

Name Relationship Sex Color or Race Age at last birthday single, married, widowed, or divorced Number of years of present marriage Number born Number now living Place of birth Place of birth of Father Place of birth of Mother Year of immigration to the U.S. Occupation Trade or profession
JONES, David L HEAD M W 41 M 17 WALES WALES WALES 1884 GROCER GROCERY STORE
JONES, Ann L WIFE F W 45 M 17 6 4 WALES WALES WALES 1888
JONES, Katie L DAU F W 15 S VERMONT WALES WALES N
JONES, Margret L DAU F W 11 S VERMONT WALES WALES
JONES, John L SON M W 9 S VERMONT WALES WALES

ELIZABETH [JONES] OWEN[S] Wales to NY to Poultney, Vermont d. 1918

Posted: 11 Dec 2004 5:39AM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Owen, Owens, Phillips, Thomas, Watts
Hi Donna,
Seeking full birth date in 1832 and marriage date about 1852 in Utica, Oneida, NY, of Elizabeth JONES [see 1918 death and cemetery records below] to Morris OWENS [1835-1876]. Also, I'm seeking names of two of their children. They were my 2nd great grand aunt and uncle.

Children born in either NY or VT were:
~Rowland T. OWENS b. ca 1857 NY, m. abt. 1877 Jane H.;
~Elizabeth [Lizzie] OWENS b. ca 1865 in Utica, Oneida Co., NY m. 25 Aug. 1883 at Baptist Church William G. PHILLIPS in Poultney, Rutland Co., VT [I have marriage record thanks to Jean M.];
~Sarah E. OWENS b. ca 1867;
~Susan OWENS [possibly] b. 1868 NY m. Robert A. WATTS [1863-1941], and she died 1953 in Poultney, Vt.
~Mary E. OWENS b. ca 1871 Vermont m. Owen L. JONES III [he died Spring 1924 in East St. Louis, MO;
~Margaret OWENS b. 1874 Vermont;
~John OWENS b NY,
2 other children.

Many THANKS :-) in advance,
Jan Jordan in VT
==================================
Buried at Poultney Cemetery, Poultney, VT, in the same lot:
~Morris Owen 1832-1876
~Elizabeth Jones, wife, 1832-1918
~Margaret Owen 1874-1964.                    
==================================
48e
"CERTIFICATE OF DEATH
STATE OF VERMONT
Place of death:
County Rutland
City [or] Town Poultney
Street and No. York
Full Name Mrs. Elizabeth Owens
PERSONAL AND STATISTICAL PARTICULARS
Sex female
Color or race White
Single, married, widowed or divorced
widow
Date of Birth May 2, 1832
Age 85 years 10 mos. 25 days
Occupation none
Birthplace Wales
Name of Father Rowland Jones
Birthplace of Father Wales
Maiden name of Mother Elizabeth Thomas
Birthplace of Mother Wales
The above stated personal particulars are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.
MEDICAL CERTIFICATE OF DEATH
Date of death March 27, 1918
I hereby certify that I attended deceased from Dec. 6, 1917 to March 27, 1918, that I last saw her alive on March 27, 1918, and that death occurred on the date stated above at 5 P.M.
To the best of my knowledge and belief the cause of death was as follows:
CAUSE OF DEATH
Chief arteriosclerosis
Contributing Decubitus [spelling?] following attack of bronchi pneumonia in Dec. 1917.
Signed J.J. Owens
Date March 27, 1918
Address Poultney Vt.
Filed March 28, 1918 J.J. Owen, Health Officer Informant J J Owens
Address Poultney Vt.
Place of burial Poultney Cemetery
Date of burial March 31, 1918
Address Poultney, VT.

George HUGHES b. ~1870 + Margaret NY ~ Mary EVANS + Eben JONES of Poultney, VT

Posted: 11 Dec 2004 6:16PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Evans, Hood, Hughes, Jones, Thomas
Hi Donna,
George HUGHES, son of John and Emma Susan JONES HUGHES, was born about 1870 in South Trenton, Oneida Co., NY.
===================================In 1920 Syracuse City, Onondaga Co., NY ED #149 Enumerated January 9th and 10th, 1920 [lived on Park Ave.] Hughes, George, age 49, married, b. NY, parents b. Wales - Welsh, occupation - inspector gear? company;
Hughes, Margaret, age 45, married, b. NY, parents b. Wales - Welsh, occupation - none
Hughes, Helen, daughter, age 9, b. NY, parents b. NY, occupation - none
McIntosh, Howard, nephew, age 19, single, b. NY, parents b. NY, occupation - inspector, gear? company.
===================================
1920 Census - Auburn City, Cayuga Co., NY ED #11 (lived on Parson Street)
Hughes, Charles S., head, age 47, b. NY, parents b. Wales - English, occupation - draftsman, architect
Hughes, Lucy H., wife, age 48, b. NY, parents b. NY, occupation - none
Hood, Sarah S., mother-in-law, age 78, widow, b. NY, parents b. NY, occupation - none.

Sorry, I do not have any information on John James THOMAS of NY, or on Mary Catherine EVANS or her 2nd husband Eben JONES of Poultney, Rutland Co., VT.
Jan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions