Search for content in message boards

the "BEST / BRATHWAITE" family in Barbados

the "BEST / BRATHWAITE" family in Barbados

Posted: 21 Sep 2001 10:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Oct 2001 10:30PM GMT

I'm trying to trace my g.grandmothers family. Her name was

ADA BEST & was born somewhere around the 1890's. She

married a James Brathwaite and went on to have 3 son's.

Re: the "BEST / BRATHWAITE" family in Barbados

Tonja Christopher (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2001 3:00AM GMT
Surnames: Thomas Thorne Brathwaite
Hello,

I have also been trying to find information on my great grandfather Thomas Thorne Brathwaite. The only information I have is that he was born around October 13, 1892. When I saw your information I wanted to know if James had a brother named Thomas?
Perhaps have some sort of links that would prove beneficial and informative to both of us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

lawrence (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2001 1:49AM GMT
Surnames: layne - yard -- calender -- brathwaite
My mothers surname was LAYNE -- lived in Christ Church Barbados -- Brathwaite's are closely related to the Laynes
My mother's name was Mary Odessa Layne -- Somehow the last name of "Yard" also comes to mind. She was one of 13
children. All of my Aunts and Uncles have passed but most lived in Cambridge/Boston/New York area. We are suppose to have a family reunion in August 2002 in Barbados

Posted: 6 Nov 2001 9:42PM GMT
Hi thanks for your message. Unfortunatly I don't know if James had any siblings all I know is that his mother's maiden name was Ethel Atwell. I think that she, and her husband were from the St George area.
Hope to hear from you soon
manda

Posted: 4 Dec 2001 1:27AM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2001 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Brathwaite
I am looking for anyone who has information on Brathwaite from the West Indies. My paternal Great-grandfather was named Wren or Ren Brathwaite from the West Indies. I am not sure if he is from Trinidad or Barbados. He married and Eugenia Gibson and had a daughter named Violet Letitia Brathwaite born in Trinidad which she was my grandmother. She settled in Salem, MA. I am not sure if she was married before she came to the States. Her birth date listed on the Death certificate is February 15, 1905 and she died when I was five. Violet married a Leonard Harewood and had my father Leonard Charles Harewood born March 24, 1932 and died January 28, 1997. This is all the information I have on my father side of the family and would like any help finding any relative would be very helpful to my family
Thanks

Colleen Savage

BERNARD W. BRATHWIATE (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2002 4:09AM GMT
Surnames: BRATHWAITE
Hello Lawrence, my grandmother name was Justina Layne and she married into the Brathwaite Family and she's from around Christ Church Barbados. She came to the US with my grandfather Evans Brathwaite and they had seven kids in Atlantic City, NJ and that's where a lot of the continuing family lives to this day. We are all awre of the big Brathwaite family reunion in August and were deinitely trying to make the trip. We may be related return the e-mail to me so we can go into more details.

BERNARD W. BRATHWAITE

Posted: 4 Feb 2003 10:39PM GMT
Edited: 5 Feb 2003 3:26PM GMT
Hi,

I hope you receive this message. My paternal grandfather was from Barbados and his name was Harold Yard. He was born to Catherine Maynard I believe in 1900. He died in New York City, Harlem at the age of 38 in December of 1938.

If you are familiar with the Yard background, could you please contact me.

Peace,
Yvette Hinton

Carol McCalla (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2005 4:30PM GMT
There was a John Yard Layne who married a Mary Margaret Callender. The daughters name was Charlotte Jane Layne born 14 December 1873 in Christ Church, Barbados. Is this any help?

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 3:26AM GMT
Hi! Was your grand father name Ren Headley Brathwaite, what was the name of your grandfather Herewood parents name where were they born. I have some info on a Ren headley Brathwaite.
Carol

Posted: 27 Apr 2010 9:47PM GMT
Hello My name is Tonja Christopher and I just subscribed to get information about my great grandmother Louise Lavina Sobers and my great grandfather Thomas Thorne Braithwaite that was born on the Virgin Islands. When reading your post I coudn't help but wonder if there is a connection to your Ancesters. If there is another family reunion please feel free to let me know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions