Search for content in message boards

Invitations - recipient access problems

Invitations - recipient access problems

Posted: 24 May 2010 5:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Not everyone has an email address that accepts incoming invitations - and they aren't willing to open a yahoo/gmail/hotmail account just to receive the invite. The onus should be owned by ancestry.com so I submitted an improvement request; please add your comments to this thread if you support it! SUGGESTION: Provide the tree owner with an opt-in profile choice to receive copies of their invitations. THEN, when one of our invitees indicates they didn't get the invitation (because it wasn't senn by a trusted source), the tree owner can forward (as an already trusted source) their copy of the invitation to their invitee. Right now, because I don't have this capability, some of my invitees have a sour taste in their mouth from this experience ~ a loss of both "good will" and potential clients.

Re: Invitations - recipient access problems

Posted: 24 May 2010 5:27PM GMT
HUH???

Why should the onus be on Ancestry?

Explain to me, and others, exactly why Ancestry should commit the time, money, and resources to implement such a system for those unwilling to open a e-mail account to recieve the invitations?

What e-mail addresses won't accepts an invitation? and why?

Sounds to me like they should be looking for a new e-mail provider rather than expecting a company to cater to them because they don't want to do something.

They have the means to solve the invitation problem- if they choose not to do so then why should Ancestry or anyone else worry about them?

Imho, this is an absurd suggestion on the face of it and I certainly hope Ancestry has better business sense than to even consider the idea.

Posted: 24 May 2010 6:22PM GMT
I think it's a great idea. I would love to have a copy of the invitation sent to my own email address.

Posted: 24 May 2010 6:59PM GMT
Jo,

I don't think just having a copy sent to the tree owner is exactly what they are talking about. That part can already be done can't it? Can't multiple invitations be sent? If so just send yourself a copy of each invite you issue.

Posted: 24 May 2010 7:11PM GMT
What Jo noted is exactly why I submitted an enhancement. Multiple invites can be sent but if doing what you suggest is enabled and tested to work successfully both initially and with re-invites, step-by-step instruction is greatly appreciated and should be added to the HELP. Interestingly, neither the online or phone techician offered a solution or work-around.

Posted: 24 May 2010 7:19PM GMT
No, what Andy thinks can be done, can't be, and there are no work arounds or solutions.

It's a great idea and I hope Ancestry implements it, but don't hold your breath.

Posted: 24 May 2010 8:01PM GMT
I'm curious why a copy of the invitation going to the tree-owner's e-mail is wanted? What purpose does it serve? The "Manage Invitees" section of Tree Settings tracks these quite well.

It seems to me what is really being asked for it the ability to set someone else up as a registered member of Ancestry without any input on their part - why is that a good idea?

I'm really having trouble understanding catering to folks who can solve their own problem but won't and yet want the benefits they would have if the problem were solved.

Posted: 24 May 2010 8:14PM GMT
The invitations from Ancestry are notorius for not being received. If we could have a copy sent to our own email address, for one thing we'd know they got sent, and for another we could forward it to the person we wanted it sent to if they don't get the one from Ancestry, and they will get the one forwarded from us because the email will come from our own email address, which is likely already in their 'safe' list or address book, unlike Ancestry's invitation address, which is likely to be treated as spam by the email program or client.

I really don't see what's so hard to understand and it seem to me you're being obtuse on purpose.

Posted: 24 May 2010 9:08PM GMT
Not really, I've just never run into invitations not being received (granted I send very few).

Has anyone even tested that the link sent in the invite still works as it should in a forwarded invite?

One other thing I question is just how helpful anyone who is too lazy, too stubborn, or too whatever to even open another e-mail account would actually be as regards a family tree.

As I said in the beginning- they can fix their problem; if they choose not to then that is their problem and no one else's.

Posted: 24 May 2010 9:38PM GMT
a) I've run into invitations not being received a lot, both for me and from me, both via email and via Ancestry username.

b) I doubt anyone would have had occasion to try to test the link in a forwarded email but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

c) What does anyone's helpfulness or lack thereof have to do with this? Do you assume we would only invite people we think are going to be helpful to us? How 'bout if we're trying to be helpful to them?

d) Why should someone have to go open another email account because something that should work isn't working? It's not difficult to have an email copied to the sender's own email address, it's pretty much available all over the internet.

Not only that, I would like a copy for my own records of the addresses I've sent invitations to. Once a person accepts the invitation their email address is hidden from me as the tree owner and only their username shows.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions