Classification: Query
Surnames: Hodge, Bodilly, Sellars, Colenso

Would like to make contact with anyone researching these families

Hodge Family

Posted: 2 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2005 3:59AM GMT
Surnames: HODGE, MAWBY
I have Hodge ancestors who arrived per "Manchester" from Plymouth, arrived Melbourne 12th Jan 1849. Daughter Elizabeth married Christopher W MAWBY.

Any connection?

Hodge Family

Posted: 8 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 11:50AM GMT
Surnames: Hodge, Clarke, McGrotty
Hi, I would like to hear from anyone with these names in their research.

Colenso Family

Richard William Colenso (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Colenso, Bodinar
I am seeking the link between the Bodinars and/or William Colenso with my Grandfather, Richard Thomas Veale Colenso b. 1864 in Penzance, Cornwall, UK; d. 1921 in St. Paul, Minnesota, USA.

Hodge Family

Lynda Young (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hodge
Hi Maxine

I have Reuben and Sarah HODGE arriving in Vic in 1849 aboard the "Manchester" from Cornwall. They had a large family - 8 children and settled around the daylesford/hepburn area of Vic.

Any connection ?

Cheers

Lynda

Possible MCGROTTY and HODGE link in New Brunswick 1843

Posted: 15 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2003 3:57AM GMT
Surnames: HODGE MCGROTTY BUTTERS MAGEE HUE KIDD TURNBULL
Capt. THOMAS BUTTERS b abt 1780 in England, d bef 1857 in St. Johns, New Brunswick where he resided with his wife ELIZABETH B. "BETSY" HODGE b. abt 1780 in England. They had three daughters ELIZABETH "ELIZA" BUTTERS b abt 1824 in England, d, Sept 4, 1863 in NB; EMMA BUTTERS b abt 1826 in England; and AMELIA BUTTERS b abt 1828 in England d.Nov 23, 1863 at sea aboard the AVON headed for Liverpool. The family immigrated according to the 1851 census in 1932.

THOMAS BUTTERS and his wife BETSY HODGE raised the HUE orphans after AMELIA's husband died at sea a year later. One of these youngsters was Phillip Frederick Hue who founded the American Oil Company. My cousin has a portrait of BETSY hanging above her fireplace.

Other Links for the girls from marriage include HUE (Amelia); TURNBULL & KIDD (Eliza); McGROTTY & MAGEE (Emma)-through marriage.

EMMA BUTTERS was married to an Unknown McGROTTY and had a daughter EMMA McGROTTY who was 8 years old according to the 1851 Census and a native of St John, New Brunswick. Both were living with Emma Butters parents in St JOhn. There is no listing for the husband McGrotty at the address. However, Amelia Butters HUE and Elizabeth Butters KIDD were also living there and their husbands were not listed either.
CAPT. Phillip HUE was Amelias husband. Possibility the other husbands were at sea as well.

EMMA later married an Unknown MAGEE.

If this helps let me know. I realize this is a shot in the dark
THANKS
MIke FOGARTY

McGrotty - Hodge Connection

Posted: 16 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hello Mike, the Mcgrotty /Hodge connection is quite recent. A cousin of mine (still living) is a descendant of HENRY MCGROTTY. She married into the Australian HODGE family. It would definetly be a huge coincidence to find another earlier MCGROTTY / HODGE connection. Still, stranger things have happened!!

Your guess is as good as any regarding the McGrotty lad. You never know, one of us may stumble on the answers during our research.
CLYDE

McGrotty - Hodge possibility

Edited: 16 Jan 2003 3:57AM GMT
Surnames: HODGE, MCGROTTY, BUTTERS, MAGEE, HUE, KIDD, TURNBULL
Clyde, I agree there is a remote possibility of the McGrotty being related. Just for your info and something to keep in the back of your mind.

Capt. Phillip Hue was born on the the Isle of Jersey, Channel Islands off the coast of France, but English territory. He apparently met his wife Amelia in Liverpool as her mother BETSY HODGE BUTTERS was listed as the owner of a residence there where she gave birth. Phillip was a master mariner who sailed ships between New Brunswick and Liverpool. Obviously Ireland could have been a stop. One of the ships we are sure of was called the MONTROSE a barque ( not a steamer) as we have a painting of it sailing on the Mersey. Have not been able to get much info..and we are not sure actually where it was built. If it becomes important I can give you the info I have on it.

CAPT. THOMAS BUTTERS, Betsy's husband was also from England. However I have not been able to find him on any Census. In fact finding a Butters is hard to do in England. Possibly he is from Ireland or Scotland. I have no info as to what he did on the ship...fish, haul goods and passengers...? Possibility the McGrotty lad was a friend or nephew that happened to follow the Butters to New Brunswick.

How do the McGrotty's and Hodge's link up on your side?
MIKE

Possible MCGROTTY and HODGE link

Hello Mike,

I don't know if there is any link with Elizabeth Hodge, the mob I am researching are from Tedburn St Mary in Devon. Unknown Mcgrotty however, may be a definite possibility as there appears to be relatively few of them around. His age would seem to indicate that he was born c1810-1820, this fits in with Henry Mcgrotty (born 1818 in Derry, Ireland)who was my gg grandfather. Unknown Mcgrotty may be a sibling of Henry. Although it is a shot in the dark, if you're in a barn and keep shooting, you're bound to hit something eventually!! I'll hang on to this info. in case one day I can find the link.
Regards,
Clyde H

Serching Bodilly

Leanne Bodilly (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bodilly
Am Searching the Bodillys originally from Cromwall?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions